Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164094 times)

Offline rusty

Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »
hehe...
Off the wall is threading both sides and putting on 2 nuts and
seeing how long it takes someone to figure out how to work it ;P

(I see the forum upgrade is ongoing, very weird things are happening ;)

Very impressed that you were able to bend the 2 pieces together evenly , sounds silly I suppose, until you try to do it ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #331 on: May 10, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Hi, Frank.  Ya know, I did build one of each (at 1/4 scale) as posted in reply 319 above for a visual comparison, and the "feel" is pretty much the same, as if one could really tell with tiny tools - ha ha.  And I probably will build one of each in 1/3 scale just to have both kinds, but I'm afraid that an auction venture would only demonstrate that no one will value either much at all. 

Really off the wall, Rusty, would be to put right hand threads on one leg and nut , and left hand threads on the other then see what would happen.  Thanks for appreciating the difficulty of conducting some operations.  At the miniature scale, it is all challenging.  That is a primary reason I appreciate this hobby.  But in all honesty, I often have to make some parts several times to get it right, so virtually every item that I post has been built several times to yield a worthy one.

Ralph

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
Ralph - combine your idea with Rusty's - thread two, one left hand and one right, thst would be a trick

Chilly

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:51 PM »
Hey, Chilly.  That would make the wrench tighten AND loosen at the same time.  Does that also mean that the jaws would open and close at the same time, or would we have to turn the knurled nut in the other direction to achieve that??   We may be on to something here.   Ralph

Offline leg17

« Reply #334 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »
You have to turn the nut in both directions at the same time or it won't work.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #335 on: May 13, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
No,  one nut lefty and one righty at the same time, or put a rope between them and pull one way or the other.  Even better, make one fine left and the other course right. Then you would have to turn opposite and at different rates at the same time.

It would be another one of those strange archealogical finds in 50 yrs.

Chilly

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #336 on: May 13, 2014, 09:16:40 AM »
Or I'd still be working on it in 50 years trying to make it turn right.  I mean turn left to work right, or is it the other way around?   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #337 on: May 13, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
Any way, after building the wood prototype just to check the eye appeal, I proceeded to build a real metal wrench.   Ralph

Parts were carefully measured and cut from square stock.

Arranged:

And you know the rest of the story.

A comparative scale with the 1/3 scale model along side the 1/4 scale model and the wood prototype:

I'm just not sure which one catches my fancy but think that I'm still leaning toward the original 1/4 scale
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:56:52 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline turnnut

« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
Hi Art,   I really like that 1/3 wrench,  what is the length of the 1/4 scale wrench and
what is the length of the 1/3 scale wrench ?

did you make that in one day ??

I admire your work, Frank

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »
Hi Frank.  And thanks again for your kind words.  I based these wrenches on an actual 8 inch wrench and aimed to achieve 1/3 and 1/4 scale, so the larger one ended up being about 2 3/4 inches weighing .84 oz and the smaller one is about 2 inches weighing .40 oz.  They are both sterling silver with a brass nut. 

I took pictures along the way to post a series at completion, but  worked on the 1/3 scale for three days - on and off as I get bench time for a total typically of about 15 hours.  That is if all goes right, but usually something goes wrong - easily at this scale (the holes don't line up or the threads get crossed, etc.), and the part must be made over - sometimes several times consuming more time, of which I have plenty, but worse yet more material.  And when working with precious metals, that's the part that hurts.  These wrenches were fabricated from "bar stock", and did not require wax modeling, mold making, smelting and casting etc. as with other models multiplying the time.  They all require some filing, sanding, buffing and polishing.

Ralph

The simple looking monkey wrench started out as an assortment of carved wax components

from which resulted a master pattern and rubber mold yielding casting wax patterns.

The miniature vise required similar complex procedures.

Some of these such models can require 100+ hours but can yield multiple raw copies thereafter.

Some more complex miniature models are more like machines requiring creation of multiple articulating components and much more time, concentration and patience.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:44:57 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Branson

« Reply #340 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »
All gorgeous (no surprise!), but I have a special fondness for the table vise.  Great little tool.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
Thanks Branson.   The miniature table vise is one of my favorites.  I have a small collection of such table vices and like them plenty, so I decided to build a miniature model and document the procedures required to build one.  The lengthy pictorial and video are posted further up this string.  It was quite an exercise with many and complicated operations which tested me thoroughly.  I sure am glad to have it my collection.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
And then there were Two.

And now I need to amend my earlier estimate of how long it takes / took to create a miniature monkey wrench.  As most of you know, the second time one does something it usually takes less time having the benefit of the experience gained by doing it the first time.  I rarely build two of anything, so my awareness was limited by that.  I also estimated in error the cost of scaling up from 1/4 to 1/3 scale having stated that the difference in weight would be X 1.66, and it turned out to be X 2 the original weight while construction time was cut in half, since by discovering pitfalls to avoid and helpful sequential fabrication procedures to follow such as "drill first then cut vs cut first then have great difficulty holding tiny parts to drill accurately" things came together more quickly and more accurately.  I'm sure that everybody already knew all that, but I just now realized it.  I now might wonder what would be the case if I were to build a third.   Ralph

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:03:56 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #343 on: May 25, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
Sometimes I catch a theme and just get carried away.  It is usually a good trip.   Ralph

A comparative scale:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:22:47 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
You have been busy!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/