Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164089 times)

Offline Art Rafael

Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
Thank you, Frank, for sharing that nice account about the older fellow, Fred Courser.  I'm sure that he would be proud to be remembered like that. 
I just love it when people ask me what is in my pocket, and I like the reaction that it often evokes. 
My early days involved the exploration of ancient jewelry making procedures, and, combined with my fascination with tools,
it evolved into the development of my unique line of jewelry.  I call it "Pocket Jewelry for the Well Dressed Crafter"(c) -
a little wood shaving plane for the well dressed carpenter, a miniature pipe wrench for a plumber, a monkey wrench for the handyman, etc.   
Of course I've also built some fine jewelry for all occasions for my wife and mother and many others, and they always expect something nice in a little gift box. 
So I've kept busy having set that standard but found time between occasions to add to my collection of miniature tools,
and am still searching for another unique tool that calls my name.   Ralph
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:32:18 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #316 on: April 26, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Papaw,
Just now when I scrolled down to your latest post, first visible to me was that nice little wrench in that precious little box that appealed to me.
Then I read your post and realized that what I was looking at is familiar and the essence of what I had just conveyed to Frank - Pocket Jewelery for the Well Dressed.
 I am flattered and gratified and very proud that you would hold my work in such regard. 
Thank you.  I am happy for you and proud of you.   Ralph

Offline Branson

« Reply #317 on: April 29, 2014, 08:05:37 AM »
> I am flattered and gratified and very proud that you would hold my work in such regard. 

Ralph, I think all of us hold your work with such regard.  You have consistently made some of the most beautiful of miniatures, exquisitely made.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #318 on: April 29, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
Branson, Thanks for saying that.  It is gratifying and encouraging.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
There had been some discussion about the adjuster nut being on the one side or the other, so I just had to build another wrench with the threaded leg and nut on the other side to compare the advantages / differences.

I realized that if the threaded leg is on the side of the flat jaws (vs the "claw" jaws), it is more likely to be damaged by repeated contact with nuts that it works.  Whereas if the threaded leg is on the claw side it is less likely to be in contact with and damaged by nuts that it works.  And this side is capable of working only smaller nuts.

I was also more able to appreciate the offset from the center line of the claw side in that it allows a closer grip of the entire nut without scraping the  knurles of the threaded nut or the user's knuckles on a flat surface .  I now believe that the folks who built these wrenches researched & developed these tools thoroughly for optimum use and ware.  I didn't invent anything; I just realized some things that I'm sure most of you all already knew.   Ralph
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:26:34 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
the folks who built these wrenches researched & developed these tools thoroughly for optimum use and wear.

This is one of the many reasons we all love the old wrenches so much!
BUT- Realize that many wrench designs didn't work out for the very reason that the designer didn't develop the design properly.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
I got a nice surprise in the mail. Ralph sent me a miniature PAPAWS wrench!

Look here---> http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=10992.0

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
Now that is neat!   I am in awe.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Thank you all.  Your interests are encouraging and motivational.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Realizing that some miniature tool builders prefer the 1/3 scale, I was motivated to try it.  To change my 1/4 scale mindset I fashioned a wood 1/3 scale model to develop a feel for the new (to me) scale.

First the pieces are prepared - shaved and cut to size. In the case of building miniature tools, typically other miniature tools are best suited for the job.

then carefully measured, marked, cut to size and drilled as needed

Some prototype components are fashioned of brass,
but in the final version a silver wire will be carefully measured, twisted and threaded.

Then all the parts are fitted together to yield a sample of size, form, shape and feel (eye appeal). The background graph paper is 1/4 inch squares.

A comparative scale:

Well the prototype looks and feels ok, but interestingly enough, it does have a different "feel" for me, and I'm just not sure that I like 1/3 scale as much as I do the 1/4 scale that I'm accustomed to.  I'll probably just have to gear up and build a 1/3 scale wrench to sincerely appreciate the difference.   Ralph

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:38:56 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Go for it!!

We have no doubt that you can master the 1/3 scale.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #326 on: May 10, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
Yes, thanks.  I am sure that I can do it - that is build a 1/3 scale wrench.  The thing is that:
     1)  I'm not sure that I find it as visually and aesthetically appealing as 1/4 scale, though that may just be due to my lack of exposure.
     2)  The cost of working in 1/3 scale is actually 2/3 again more expensive (1.66 as much), and that wouldn't be a big deal except if done in precious metals.
          But even then, miniatures command relatively small materials expense (except in gold), and that's another reason that building small appeals to me.
     3) The rest of my collection is in 1/4 scale, but I know that wrenches come in a variety of sizes, so that should be no reason not to build in 1/3 scale.
     4)  But thus far, I find that building larger is considerably less difficult.  The tolerances are not as tight, and every operation is more forgiving.
   So I'll carry on.   Ralph

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
I noticed that you made your mock up with the thread on the wrench side?

Chilly

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #328 on: May 10, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
HI Chilly.  Yes, and I'm still not sure how I'll make the final.  Mostly I've seem these wrenches with the thread on the nut side and rarely the other way around - except for one that
Papaw posted a couple weeks ago.  In my reply # 319 above I compared the two ways and still lean the other way - with the threads away from the nut side, but it seems easier to manipulate the other way (threads on the nut side).  Which way do you think would be better for a miniature that won't see much work?   Ralph

Offline turnnut

« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Ralph, I may be a little off the wall on this subject, but, why not build 1 of each, then
put them up to auction, and we can all watch to see which one commands the highest
return ?
Sincerely, Frank