Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164079 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »
Blacksmith's vise certainly needs an anvil to go with it, and a few things to stick in the anvil......

I second that!!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #286 on: February 04, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
Well gentlemen, it's interesting that you mention that ( Blacksmith's vise certainly needs an anvil to go with it, ).  I actually built the miniature vise to complement my other vises and anvils.  I have been collecting anvils since I was a kid spending much time in the village blacksmith shop.  I always wanted to be a blacksmith, but the world changed and took me in another direction.  Still, my college major was Industrial Arts where I learned much more about metallurgy and ultimately taught metalwork in public school where my students learned to sand cast aluminum anvils and other things.  My hobby, in which I learned modern and ancient casting procedures, resulted from my passion for metal work, and, for many years, I cast and fabricated precious metals as fine jewelry but returned to the industrial side of the crafts and have been building tools of all sorts with only an occasional jewelry gift for wife and mother. 

Pictured here are some of my anvil collection - the smaller ones.  I have several 100 + pounders in the barn.  Note the split half wood pattern and the anvil that I cast from that pattern at the front along with others that I cast years ago perched on top of the black one in the center of the picture. 

As for " . . . and a few things to stick on the anvil . . . " ,  you are right on.  I have often thought about building a complete blacksmith's shop in miniature and may just follow that thought.  It would be fun to build an assortment of miniature blacksmith tongs and even a complete diorama, though I'm not sure about a forge.  Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement. 

Ralph
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:28:43 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #287 on: February 04, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »
The forge would be a challenge, but from what you've shown us so far, you would be the guy to do it.

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
Thank you, Papaw.  Sometimes I think that it is your (all yall's) encouragement and expectations of me that enable me to do things I'd never dreamed that I could do, and I appreciate it very much.  It is very reminiscent of my college days when my professors, all of them richly experienced and professionally able, insisted that I could meet their high expectations and then made it happen because I dared not disappoint them.  And, much to my surprise, I discovered that there were no limits to what I could do in the crafts.  It set a pattern and manner of operation that have served me well throughout and yet today.  Thanks again to all of you for encouraging me and for appreciating my work.  Ralph
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:01:49 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #289 on: February 09, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Hey Ralph,

I love your collection of small anvils.  Do you use them often when you're making your miniature tools?  Which one is your favorite? 

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: February 09, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
I have but two tiny anvils, and never seen that large a collection, you have been busy.   For a real challenge, to build a hand crank wall mount drill press, like a Champion, in miniature, would be incredible.  A forge, not so much, but a forge blower that would fit through a mans ring?   Again a challenge.    How about a breast drill, and for a challenge, a two speed!  You had some exceptional teachers and mentors.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
Well Jim C.,  I do use some of the anvils in my hobby works.  Some are just for show, though they are real.  A few resulted from my college studies in metallurgy, and some just followed me home from here and there.   The project typically determines which one I call on for help.  The unpainted ones are often used, especially the "T" shaped jeweler's anvil in the center of the picture.  I've also built some tiny silver ones as earrings for wifey.

Hi John k.  Yeah, I've been busy collecting anvils since childhood when the village blacksmith gave me one.  You know John,  I have thought about building a miniature Champion like drill press like ones (2) I have proudly poised in the barn or at least a crank hand drill.  And I've  spent countless hours trying to hand cut pinion and wheel gears or some miter gears (don't have proper equipment to machine cut gears).  I've even purchased some ready made model miter gears and just haven't been able to make it work.  I do keep it in mind because I actually need a small egg beater type hand drill to use in building my miniatures.  I'll keep thinking about it.  Any ideas, anyone?

Ralph

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
When the term miter gears was used, I started thinking about some of the salesman samples  that I have seen.   Like a 1/24 scale horse drawn mower, with working gear box that in turn pushed the sickle bar.   You probably have a one of the small hobby lathes, not sure if anyone builds a small hobby mill.   May have to look through the model railroad magazines I have.  I also have two of the wall mount drills, and disassembled one for cleaning.   For 1890s construction it has pretty complex castings.   

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
Like a 1/24 scale horse drawn mower, with working gear box that in turn pushed the sickle bar.   You probably have a one of the small hobby lathes, not sure if anyone builds a small hobby mill.   May have to look through the model railroad magazines I have.
[/quote]

Hi again, John K.  I am familiar with the mower you refer to - bid on one once and didn't even come close, but it is still on my mind as a real miniature beauty.  I have found tiny miter gears at the hobby train shop and still have had trouble making the arrangement.  Building a tiny chuck has also presented problems.  I have put the project aside several times but still hope to get one done sometime.  I do have a mini lathe and drill press but no mill and should be able to do it  - just haven't yet.  Now a drill press like the old Champions might be beyond me, but I have looked at them very closely.  They seem so incredibly advanced for their vintage.  Thanks for your interest and support.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Axes collection.   Ralph

A comparative scale.  Cast in silver with carved Hickory handles.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
A while back I picked up a watchmakers lathe an accessories at the flea market. Bought it cheap knowing nothing about it but thought it was cool. After getting home and learning it was made by Boley and they can bring a pretty penny I posted it on craigslist. A month later and it sold for 450$

Of all the tools ive came across and sold its toward the top of the list.

If you have a chance check them out. I know there not cheap but maybe youle get lucky. Even another brand of watchmakers lathe would be a good tool to have for your use.

As I said before great work, I love watching this thread.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
Hey Ralph
  The vise is outstanding!! Totally love it.

You already know your axes kill me. heheeh

As far as eggbeaters for human hands to use, there are some pretty small ones around.
  Not miniatures, but as small as the human hand can reliably and accurately operate. They made them for jewelers of course.
 I have a picture of mine somewhere but can't find it, and all my camera batteries are dead.
   yours Scott   

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
Thanks for the word on the watch maker's lathe, Nolatoolguy.  I would like to have one and would put it to good news.  And I have bid on some but never came close.  I will keep watching.

Hey, Scott.  I am gratified that you like the miniature vise.  Simple as it looks, it was a tough build having to build plaster molds and cast metal twice and tediously build a rubber mold to yield parts that ensure that the front and rear jaws were identical, not to mention building all the minor components + nuts and bolts and lots of finishing work.  But now that it's done, the pains of building it are but a memory, and I am glad to add it to my collection.  The rubber mold could produce major components to build another vise, but after this one, I'm just not up to it.  I think that, though I had initially thought otherwise, it will remain one of a kind.  I'm glad that you like the axes too.

You know, I do have a small jewelers egg beater hand drill (there must be a proper name for it) about 4 1/2 inches, but I've often thought about an even smaller one - say 2 1/2 to 3 inches.  Guess I need to study it more.  I would love to see yours.

Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Hi, John K from Nebraska.  I attempted to reply to you on the message section, and I am not sure that my message got through.

I appreciate your message about the auction listings and particularly like the salesman's samples and the hand planes.  Just when I was looking for a new project here are hundreds to consider. 

Thanks again,
Ralph

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
Ralph,

There's been one of those tiny lathes in a shop here in Denver for 8 or 9 months. I've been tempted -lots of extra accessories.  If you are serious about one, let me know.  Otherwise I might buy it myself.   If I did, I might loan it to you, just to see what you came up with.  It seems not too many tools were lathe turned -but I'm probably not looking at things from the right angle.  (I only claim 85% accuracy.)

Chilly