Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164072 times)

Offline Branson

Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »
Pictured below are some of my smaller blacksmith vises.  I'm not sure that I  know the actual proper name.
But I know what I like.

Those are "table vises,"  and I know that I like them, too!  They look so much like miniature leg vises that they're just irresistable.  I found the name in With Hammer in Hand, the definitive book on the Domeni workshop at the Winterthur Museum.   It was one of the tools issued to the artificer section with light artillery batteries, and with no pictures it made me a little crazy trying to figure out what a table vise was.  I have an odd one.  Quite useful, but maybe someday I'll find another one at a price I can afford.

Looking forward to your miniature miniature of this vise!

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »
Oh.  OK.  Now I know and can call it by it's proper name.  I should know it's name if I'm going to build one.  Thanks Branson.   Ralph                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
I've got a good start.  First an approximation was cut out of a block of hard wax.   

Then, as Michelangelo once replied when asked how he could sculpt such a fine elephant out of a block of marble, " All that needs to be done is to remove from the block everything that doesn't look like an elephant."  I'm no Michelangelo, but I think that I know what a table vise looks like, and removed from the block of wax all the parts that didn't look like one and added flow channels and cosmetic touches.

Next I will cast this wax pattern employing the lost wax process.  That will result in a solid Master Pattern which will be used to build the rubber mold to produce multiple copies.  I intend to build only one vise but will produce several soft wax patterns to allow for selection of the the best copy, and in case that something goes wrong along the way, I'll have a fall back option.   Ralph
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:01:52 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Branson

« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2014, 06:51:12 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished piece!  I've developed a fondness for table vises  -- they look so much like professional tools.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
Yes, me too. It's progressing.  May cast the master pattern today - a little apprehensive.  It's a risky procedure and I'm pushing it to cast a 3 oz piece in a centrifuge designed to cast little rings and such at 3/4 oz.  If it works, then comes the tedious process of building a rubber mold.   Ralph

Offline turnnut

« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
good luck Art, I'm rooting for you.

you are really talented.

Frank

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »
Art, am following this, never done casting.   If I were to build one, it would be started from bar stock, grind, drill and file away what does not look right. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2014, 11:25:42 AM »
That would be the alternative, John.  This is the reason that a casting process is employed.  Even with CNC machinery it would be tough to do.  Imagine building an engine block out of bar stock.  It can be done, but not easily.  The casting process isn't easy either but may be less difficult, and, once the patterns are built, it is possible to more easily build multiple exact copies.  Early on I did build everything by cut, file and grind, but, as things got more complicated, I had to figure out "new" ways of doing things.  So I discovered the ancient arts of casting, which I'm still trying to perfect.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
Thanks for your interest and encouragement, guys.  My luck is holding out, and progress is apparent.

The master wax pattern was mounted in a flask (a 10 oz soup can).

And the investment (plaster) was prepared.  This has to be a precise mixture to avoid problems along the way. 
While still liquid it was degassed - the air bubbles within were vacuumed out on a vacuum shake table.

The plaster mold was baked to melt the wax out (lost wax) and to solidify it in preparation to receive molten metal

Then the most exciting and most dangerous part:  melting the metal in the crucible mounted on the centrifugal casting machine.  This is a spring driven "broken arm" lever that shoots the molten metal into the attached mold.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:12:59 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
It was a successful pour.  When the mold was broken open I had my doubts because the piece had a thick and heavy crust.

But it turned out just fine and finished out nicely.  This will make a good master pattern.

Next comes the tedious job of building the rubber mold.  I had posted these details in an earlier build and will spare the repetition.  I don't like building rubber molds but decided to build one for this project because it might be the best way to get exact copies for the rear and front jaws.  The master will be of the rear jaw.  Then when the rubber mold yields multiple copies, the anvil and clamping parts will be cut off to yield the front jaw.  And the opportunity will exist to build a whole second set should something go wrong in the casting of the final pieces or if I desire to build another vise, unlikely as that would be.  I usually don't care to build more than one copy.

Ralph

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:24:41 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
The rubber mold was built as outlined in an earlier presentation at the top of page 10, and it turned out just fine.

Creating wax pattern copies was more fun than building the mold.

Softer wax is injected into the mold, allowed to cool, carefully removed and touched up some as needed

The same mold produced wax patterns for both the front and rear jaws since they are virtually identical.  For the front jaw the anvil and clamp apparatus were cut off.

And now we repeat the plaster mold building process as outlined on page 10 to produce the final versions of both jaws,

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:29:54 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
And the tension mounts waiting for the finished product to appear, looking good so far. As always an interesting and informative post.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »
Thanks, Les.  It's coming along step by step, little by little.  When I saw how well the master pattern turned out, all my doubts and apprehension were gone.  Now while the mold is in the oven, there is time to fashion the nuts and bolts - literally.  Three will be needed.   Ralph

Well the nuts are about done.  I could have purchased these components commercially; in fact, I do have some on hand - 2-56 threads at 1/2 inch long.  But I am after an authentic look like an old vise in the barn.  So I've decided to make my own hardware of square head bolts and square nuts of silver since I don't know where such can be found and wanted the total experience.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:44:41 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
So I've decided to make my own hardware of square head bolts and square nuts of silver

That right there is a testament to your craftsmanship and dedication to this endeavor!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Thanks Papaw. 

Sometimes I don't know what drives me, but I know what I like, and am gratified that you all appreciate my work without drawing too much attention to my insanity, which must plague me from time to time.  Taking the better part of a day to build tiny nuts and bolts might be evidence of that, but, like so many other things that I do, when the day is done and in my hand are the hardware that is needed, I forget the loss of time and feel proud and pleased.  This project required so much attention to so many details that it just would not have been proper to accent it with lesser parts.  This set will go well with the rest of the parts on the miniature table vise.   

Ralph

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:56:34 PM by Art Rafael »