Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 94915 times)

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »
Wow, I never cease to be amazed about how well old cars and trucks hold up in your nice, dry enviroment. If that old Ford truck had been parked out, "...in the pasture..." here in Ohio for more than a year, it would have rust holes you could throw a football through!

And I agree that the Miller welder is worn out. Why don't you just ship it here to me? I'll see if I can possibly restore the old relic, and I might even trade you some Thorsen tools! LOL.

I love watching your journey through this project.
Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline Branson

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
I like the story a lot, and it just might be the origin of that chisel.   I'd really like to see the pictures of it de-rusted.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
I thought I'd share a couple of old photos of the man primarily responsible for building this wealth.  I say "primarily" because I know well he could NOT have done it without my grandma, and all the many children.

This is a picture of him "dressed up".  It was a rare occasion to see him dressed this nicely.  I'm not sure of the occasion of this picture.

EDIT:  This is a picture of him, my dad, and another sibling to my dad. and two of my dad's much younger siblings.

Him having captured a rattle snack on the property

Me on the right, my older brother on the left, and "Papaw" in the middle.  It was not a staged photo - we regularly rode on his knee.

And lastly - a view of the "camp" I mentioned in the blacksmith discussion.  This is it in it's later years just before somebody burned it to the ground.  Another was built shortly after and remains to this day.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:28:43 PM by OilyRascal »
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
Very cool photos. Thanks for sharing the memories.
Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
Your Mack is either a DM or an R Model with a hard nose radiator. It is a very handsome truck and with 80,000 lb rears, it is a serious hauler. The Tag on the inside of the door will have a model number. I know it is off topic, but as a Mack fan, I would be grateful if you would keep us posted. Is it a Mack engine? How many shift levers? If those are double reduction rear axles, get a manual. They are kinda fussy, very expensive and difficult to fix. The truck is WAY COOL!

Thanks for the pointers here!  I couldn't find a tag with the model - I searched the truck over, but it is clear the truck has been painted at least twice.  By the time I got the gear reduction installed, I was frustrated with the debris constantly falling on me....and pulled it out of the shop to clean it well.  I will get the specs down component by component and share them here.  There are so many considerations I wasn't aware of when I started working on the Mack.  I have absolutely ZERO experience with a truck of this size.  I've been a bit taken back by it all, have had to MAKE MYSELF slow down and study/learn more, and find some help.  It would be easy for me to hurt myself otherwise (e.g. not knowing not to release front bands on the brake cans without bleeding pressure).  I think I (may have) conceded I'm not able to handle some of this big stuff (poles, winch placement) alone.  This thing is a monster relative to anything I can handle it with - but will be so nice to have around once its done.  I can't think of a thing around that'd I'd not be able to move then.  I like that thought!

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
I like the story a lot, and it just might be the origin of that chisel.   I'd really like to see the pictures of it de-rusted.

Pictures of the chisel de-rusted:

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
Believe it or not, I am still going through tools in the shop.  I had a stash of "all things in cases" that I started sorting through today and cleaning up.  I found this Napa Balkamp spark plug thread repair kit - AKA Helicoil

I was able to clean the Kennedy box up this morning, and by this afternoon it was full.

And I was able to cleanup this little Kennedy organizer - I have not yet decided on it's use.  Prior use was brass fittings.

After cleaning this guy - found that it is Plomb marked

As a last note - I have decided the rear-end in the 65 was not original to the truck.  It has 20" wheels on the rear, and 16" on the front.  I suspect the 16" is original to the 1-ton model.  It got me to asking around about the truck's history.  I found that it was last used as a pulling machine.  I suspect it had the larger axle and springs (+ overloads) installed when the pulling machine was put on it's back.  I did find a flat stake bed for it today in the woods - complete with a very old wilton vise.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
I figured you were gonna get into that Ford pretty soon.  Does it turn over?   That rear axle is probably out of an F-600, with the 20s on it.   Don't see why it wouldn't work for you though.   Unless its really low geared.    I see with the cover off,  there isn't any damage, any little bits and pieces in the bottom of the case?   Be careful with that big old drill if it still works, they have a tendency not to stop, the bit does but the drill keeps going.  I think a trigger lock on those is the most dangerous thing.  See how much bigger the shop got with that little Ford sitting there?   So glad to see you aren't bored!!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »
Does it turn over?

I got it hot, it turned over several times, and then I could smell that smell I was waiting for; short to frame in a hot wire.  I started going through the wiring just trying to patch things until I can see what's going on with the engine.

any little bits and pieces in the bottom of the case?

The fluids looked good, the gears look good, and no debris in the bottom.  I just had to be sure before moving it.  I pulled it into the shop with the rear in the air as not to turn anything over.  I have personally broken a crank in a tractor doing such a foolish thing (turning it over via a pull after a long sit).

FYI - I have absolutely ZERO intention of using that drill for any purpose.  It may as well be a Winchester Model 07 (made in 1906) .351 cal rifle with reloads from .357 brass - it scares me that much.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
Oily.

DO NOT MESS WITH BRAKE CHAMBERS!! They will take your head off!! I'll find a service manual for you. Believe me, they will kill you.

John Secord
Retired Sales Engineer
Kelsey Axle & Brake Div
Kelsey Hayes Corp
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »

Pictures of the chisel de-rusted:

Can you read that stamp?  MO... something.  It doesn't look much like the socket was welded. 
It's still curious that the stamp is so deep and professional looking while the making of the
socket left something to be desired.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
OR you are kicking butt and taking names. Great older photos too thanks for posting.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Oily.

DO NOT MESS WITH BRAKE CHAMBERS!! They will take your head off!! I'll find a service manual for you. Believe me, they will kill you.

John,

Firstly, let me say I appreciate you looking out for me.  Fortunately, I had called a life long friend (also my dad's youngest brother) who started managing an "on road" service team about 15 years ago with about 6k trucks, now 12k+.  I trust his judgement in this area and called him for different reasons re: those air brakes, but got a "talking to" right out of the gate.  He had only been stern with me like that one other time, and I was young and dumb and deserved it.  I was caught off guard and taken back.  I later chalked it up to the seriousness of the matter.

Whatever got me to him at that moment got me there and it scared the crap out of me.  I'm very much a "feet first" sorta guy and was on the heels of popping those cans  when I called him.  The only reason I stopped to call was to make sure I wasn't overlooking something silly before causing myself work.

I suppose all this is to the point I was originally trying to make with the statement.  Being the "feet first" sorta guy with all this stuff that is new to me - I have a recognized need to slow down, educate myself through knowledge sources not getting 100% via experience as usual, and get help where needed (whether unclear, risky, or just to large to handle). 

And my wife keeps worrying about me choking on the mint I have each night - let's keep it that way :)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
Can you read that stamp?  MO... something.  It doesn't look much like the socket was welded. 
It's still curious that the stamp is so deep and professional looking while the making of the
socket left something to be desired.

I still believe it reads "MOTTR".  I noted one thing very interesting and odd IMO - the tip of the chisel is extraordinarily sharp despite how weathered and pitted the rest of it is - to the point I was able to shave hair off my arm with it.  I would have thought I would have found a dull blunt end.

Offline rusty

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »

Speaking iof dangerous truck things...

You *do* know about split rims, right?
(Just checking)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.