Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 97828 times)

Offline rusty

Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »

22 should make it a Dana axle, 5300 GVW, 4.10 gear ratio, NOT limited slip...

This axle seems to have gone away sometime in the early 80's,
That gear ratio and GVW combination seems to be unusual...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rusty

« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
>Trans = A

A = NP435 4-Speed Manual

The transmission you have/had is rather interesting, it is one of the few ford transmissions that can be bolted to non ford engines....

"The NP435 was made by New Process Gear from 1962 thru 1997. They are found primarily in Ford trucks from 1966 to 1992 and Dodge trucks from 1962 to 1993. They also had limited distribution in GM & Chevrolet trucks from 1968-1972. They are also found in some International Harvester and industrial applications."

http://www.novak-adapt.com/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
I already like that NP435 with the little reading I've done.  I'll crawl under it tomorrow and try to confirm it is the NP435, but I suspect it is and I suspect the engine is the original 360 with the axle and back springs the only modification.

22 should make it a Dana axle, 5300 GVW, 4.10 gear ratio, NOT limited slip...

This axle seems to have gone away sometime in the early 80's,
That gear ratio and GVW combination seems to be unusual...

The reading I'm doing has me thinking a Axle code 22 in a 1965 Ford truck would have been a Spicer / Dana 70 4.83 7,400lb limited slip.  Short of a resident parts expert in 65 Fords coming forward - I may try calling the Ford dealership tomorrow for help in confirming all the data for the tag.  It also has a DSO number that may reveal something.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
Thats the same rear-end that is in the truck I am borrowing the motor from for my fire-truck, have no use for the rear end, good rear, smoked alot of tire with it, never gave me a problem. Just drove truck to its final destination on Sat and towed home what was left of it including rear Sat evening

I know chances are you wont but if you did arrange pick-up it would be yours. Id like to see it go back to something it would have originally been found in.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »
Assuming it is a dana axle*, there is a long number stamped on the tube that describes all the parts and gears that went into the axle.
looks like  603XX-X, 604XX-X or 605XX-X.

It is stamped on the side of the long axle tube, there is also a build date there.

*If it has a square cover, with 10 bolts, 3 top, 3 bottom, 2 each side it is a 20 or 30 series dana, the only ford axle with a square cover has 2 bolts at the top and bottom and 3 on the sides...
2c
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:29:20 PM by rusty »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:15 AM »
Thats the same rear-end that is in the truck I am borrowing the motor from for my fire-truck, have no use for the rear end, good rear, smoked alot of tire with it, never gave me a problem. Just drove truck to its final destination on Sat and towed home what was left of it including rear Sat evening

I know chances are you wont but if you did arrange pick-up it would be yours. Id like to see it go back to something it would have originally been found in.

AND I'd like to see the 65 F350 back to it's original configuration - PM inbound

Assuming it is a dana axle*, there is a long number stamped on the tube that describes all the parts and gears that went into the axle.
looks like  603XX-X, 604XX-X or 605XX-X.

The only problem with that approach is - the original axle is gone and has been replaced with a 2-ton :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:40:48 AM by OilyRascal »

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
Why change out that heavy axle with big rear tires.?  Think of all the fuel money you'll save driving downhill most of the time.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rusty

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
>the original axle is gone

*doh*

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
More progress cleaning outside the shop in the yard today.  A view of the back of the shop after a few days of cleanup.

Found out back in the rubbish - Avery & Sons - I suppose this is a "middle buster"

I also took a stroll to see if I could find a Ford 1-ton, 6-bolt 7.25" pattern axles on a Dana rear.  I did find a total of 17 1-ton rears, but none to match.  I was hopeful this '65? would have one, but it is an F700.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
Avery was a very respected maker of farm tractors and equipment about 80-90 years ago.  That "middle buster" is a horse drawn walking plow.  The wood handles bolt on where those strap irons protrude from the back of the plow lay.  Very desirable in some areas as yard art.   Seventeen axles?   wowsa, that is a lot of iron.   I can't think of a reason not to run it as is, at least for awhile.   If the brakes are up, see how it handles.  Getting the itch to go play in my own iron pile now. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
I dont think they are identical but there was a time I would have been real interested in those running boards, I think you will find the pass side has the little door for the battery box access.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
Seventeen axles?

NO NO - seventeen 1-ton rears/axles

Offline rusty

« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »

Do we even want to know how many 3/4 ton you found? LOL!

I really think you need more pullys and shieves, would you like us to send you some more?

(I see at least one in there that belongs on an air compressor)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
I spent the cool half of the day outside again cleaning up in the shop yard - in front today.  I took the last half and worked on tools in the shop. 

Before I bury the thread with pictures (and it is a picture heavy post).......I have found this IH wrench I'd like to call-out.  It is marked 9532 DA with an IH emblem.  I'd appreciate any information that one may have on the wrench.

This is a view of the "service cart" I'm working on and some of the broken wrenches I plan to incorporate into its design.

Three more pipe wrenches added to the wall.

I did find a Barrett jack buried in the dirt today.

This is the Plomb ratchet I found as I was walking through the pasture a couple of weeks ago.  I had this feel of steel beneath my feet as I was on a stroll.  I stopped, gave the dirt a kick, and there it was in very rough shape.  I've done what I can to clean it short of a wire wheel.  Amazingly, it still works.  I think it will retire to the wall.

About the time I think I have found all the pipe tongs/chain wrenches, I find another yesterday....pictured here along with the other 7 found in the cleaning process.  The largest is 60", the smallest 28".

I believe this is an early rod holder/hanger/elevator

A TOLEDO pipe threader

NON-Ridgid Pipe cutters

These are in addition to the other 3" Lufkin wrench already found.

A few "older" wrenches

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:57:12 PM by OilyRascal »

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
Oily, Your 9532 DA wrench is front idler adjuster wrench for IHC TD-6 crawler.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench