Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 99672 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Dosent look like a parts truck to me, how much did you give?

It runs, as is.  Has original engine, paint, tons of paper work saved over the years, etc.  It's in better shape than the '66 from the shop, but has a 300 six and I want the big 8.  I have a '86 now with a 300 six that has over 245k - I know how good the engine is; generally speaking.....but I also know it's limitations and again, I want an 8.  The truck has several things I could use - front glass, back glass, front bumper, rear/axle, 6-bolt wheels and good tires........probably endless "little things" like mirrors and knobs - a good seat not torn.  I need to sleep on it but may well put this to the side for a later project.  It does seem a shame to butcher it. 
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
Looks like a great truck you bought, Oily. Good for you.

Now, I know I've been offering lots of advice lately, so please don't let me sound like a know-it-all. But the collector-vehicle world has been my life for over 40 years, so I end up with lots of experience...and opinions too...of course.

Anyway, here goes:
Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a restorer is to find a second wonderful vehicle, which looks like an "easy restoration" before finishing the first one. Many productive and active projects have been derailed when focus is lost, and resources of time, money, and energy are spread out, etc. IF this 2nd Ford truck has many parts that you need, I say GO for it. Gently remove the parts you specifically need, and then either part it out from there (will pay for the entire parts truck and more, if you do it right), or sell it as a project to someone else.

Vehicles from the southwestern US are generally in WAY better body condition than the same models from the rust belt (like Ohio, my neck of the woods). Here that low mileage glass truck would be rusted almost to the point of sagging and collapsing into the soil. You would have holes a basketball could be thrown through. Therefore, people up here who find restoration projects ALWAYS need lots and lots of decent sheet metal panels...especially for vehicles for which no reproduction panels have ever been made (like your Ford trucks). So you might very well get $750 for two nice fenders and two doors...or for the bare cab without any panels, etc. You can sell them on eBay, after finding out about shipping the parts, or even urge people to drive there to pick them up. After you recover your investment you would still have lots of parts to sell. (Yet I suspect that, if it is as nice as it looks, you can swap parts from one truck to the other, keeping the best for yourself, and sell the entire truck to someone in the rust belt who will drive down with a trailer to pick it up.)

It may sound cruel to part out a nice old truck, but that is the only way that several other old trucks can be saved. And if you can use it to save your own old Ford AND have zero cost in the panels, that is WAY better then getting a 2nd project truck sitting out back at your shop...begging for your attention, time, and money.

Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
I meant to say, "...AND have zero cost in the swapped-out parts..." Sorry.

Offline rusty

« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

Oily, you should (if you have not already) check what transmission is in that truck. Glass is very heavy, and a common option was also the heavy low 1st speed allison transmiision, That is what is in our ('89) truck , and it's a very nice tranny.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »
Another tool was found today laying in the dirt of the shop drive.  It was a tool one of my grandfather's had made by hand and given to my other grandfather.  I'll explain details later after the "what's it" fun.  I think finding that tool today struck a nerve with me like few other things have during the project.  I find it disrespectful, to both men and me, to have thrown that tool to the ground.  But then again, the notion of disrespected tools is not new here.

After the last several months working this project I'm ready to declare a new life goal.  It is to live the rest of my days being an advocate for the proper care of tools.  I've concluded it is somewhat common place to view tools as disposable, or a consumable, and unworthy of proper care and attention.  I'm not exactly sure how I'll have an impact, but I'm determined I will. 

Oily, you should (if you have not already) check what transmission is in that truck. Glass is very heavy, and a common option was also the heavy low 1st speed allison transmiision, That is what is in our ('89) truck , and it's a very nice tranny.....

The transmission code is "N" - which I understand for a 1965 F350 is a New Process 435 (NP435).  If so, it is the same 4-speed granny gear PTO'able transmission as in the 66 project truck.  They do appear visually the same.

..........Now, I know I've been offering lots of advice lately, so please don't let me sound like a know-it-all. But the collector-vehicle world has been my life for over 40 years, so I end up with lots of experience...and opinions too...of course.................

I appreciate and respect your experience and opinions!  Please keep it coming!  I really would like to follow your guidance, BUT this truck that I've bought for parts is in nearly pristine condition short of the sun beating down on the original paint.....and a little headliner work, and a busted headlight.  I'm afraid I'm unable to butcher this one, and I'll look for another to serve as parts.  I will aim to drive this one between the home and the shop while I work on the 1966.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »
I appreciate and respect your experience and opinions!  Please keep it coming!  I really would like to follow your guidance, BUT this truck that I've bought for parts is in nearly pristine condition short of the sun beating down on the original paint.....and a little headliner work, and a busted headlight.  I'm afraid I'm unable to butcher this one, and I'll look for another to serve as parts.  I will aim to drive this one between the home and the shop while I work on the 1966.
Oily,
LOL! Well, I do COMPLETELY understand your feelings on this one. I have done this same thing myself. Oh well. At least you have plenty of room and tools to do the work. Enjoy!

Offline Branson

« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
>I've concluded it is somewhat common place to view tools as disposable, or a consumable, and unworthy of proper care and attention.  I'm not exactly sure how I'll have an impact, but I'm determined I will. 

Your tools will only serve you as well as you serve them.  That's my take.  As for "disposable," I have two Makita full kits because somebody was going to dispose of them both.  Very little attention and they both work great.  Disposable?  Exacto blades are disposable, but my grandfather used to sharpen his a few times before tossing them.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
Quote......I appreciate and respect your experience and opinions!  Please keep it coming!  I really would like to follow your guidance, BUT this truck that I've bought for parts is in nearly pristine condition short of the sun beating down on the original paint.....and a little headliner work, and a busted headlight.  I'm afraid I'm unable to butcher this one, and I'll look for another to serve as parts.  I will aim to drive this one between the home and the shop while I work on the 1966...........Sounds like another oily project :) Phase two
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
Sounds like another oily project :) Phase two

The '65 is now running.  One valve was stuck, but managed to get past that.  Compression ranging from 115-145psi.  Small drip at the seal on the yoke? of the rear chunk where the driveline attaches.  I put about 50 miles on it today.  I did take the glass hauler bed off.  The truck now officially has it's first dent from where I let the tractor tire get into the body - I don't want to talk about it anymore.  I will start working on putting a flatbed on it bed on it tomorrow.  I see no reason I can't drive it as-is for a good while - I may need to buy tires.  If the 300 six goes flat (which I highly doubt) - I have another already rebuilt and waiting.  I'll only do it in for about 10 miles per day between the shop and house, so I think we'll be fine.

Exacto blades are disposable, but my grandfather used to sharpen his a few times before tossing them.

I suspect he lived in a time when you had no choice but to appreciate what you had for little chance of having another soon.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2012, 07:08:35 PM »
All this talk is making me look at my old F-250 harder and harder.   Working in a shop it boggles my mind to see fellows go home and leaving a grand or more of nearly new name brand tools and air tools laying on the floor.   Would it be a perfect world there would be little tests at Sears before you could buy a ratchet, a screwdriver, or a power tool.   I wonder how much their sales would drop, if people could not pass the tests!    Having a decent 45 year old truck to tool around the farm, thats just sweet.     
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bgarrett

« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »

theyellowtruck by farmgate, on Flickr

This is my newest truck

Offline Branson

« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »

Exacto blades are disposable, but my grandfather used to sharpen his a few times before tossing them.

I suspect he lived in a time when you had no choice but to appreciate what you had for little chance of having another soon.

He was turning out a 35% net profit at this point.  He just saw no reason to toss them when they could be fixed.  He *had* lived through the Depression, though, even if it was easier to live through it in Bakersfield, CA than it was most other places.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
I was in the woods on a parts hunt and found this - I like it.  Haven't yet determined the year model.  I think I need to drag it out with a dozer before I start "digging around" to much.  I'm pretty sure "something" is ready to defend it's home.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
Looks like 1958 or 1959, look for snakes too, they like to get in the headliner, and behind the seat.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Wow, once again I am amazed at the condition of the sheet metal on abandoned vehicles from down south. Here in Ohio that thing would have massive rust, and be falling to pieces by now.

Good for you!