Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 97835 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
I like that folding boom, not as great as a little swivel crane, but a lot of us could still put it to use.   That cage around the winch now, I see another case of your families tpical overkill!   How did the slab pour go?   And, did you eat the strawberries?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
I like that folding boom, not as great as a little swivel crane, but a lot of us could still put it to use.   That cage around the winch now, I see another case of your families tpical overkill!   How did the slab pour go?   And, did you eat the strawberries?

My dad keeps talking about those little swivel cranes too, but it sure seems like you'd need some sort of outrigger or extremely long boom to get it over the axle.  I've heard a nasty story about a line breaking on a winch truck, and I think they were concerned after that.  My dad says he was witness to a cab's sheet metal cut in half.

The concrete was poured at 7:30 this morning - somebody?? cut things so close it was 1/4 yrd shy on the last truck - delayed things a little - rain started after noon, but it is covered now and I think I'm OK.  Yes, we like strawberries and have 60 plants in the ground.  It's like english green peas - that's about enough plants to have a bowl once every few weeks :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline bgarrett

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2012, 06:29:25 AM »
I am looking for a PTO to fit 1929-1947 Ford and will buy one if you have it. 

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
I am looking for a PTO to fit 1929-1947 Ford and will buy one if you have it.

Send me a PM with any details you can offer that may help me identify one you need, and I'll have a look for you.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
I took the first half of the day and wondered outside the shop collecting tools (and such) again.  My plan was to drive over and pickup a couple of O2 bottles I had spotted, but that quickly turned into loading tools from the grounds and around.  I think I found 6 very early set of pipe cutters in various sizes, and two early threaders. 

I'm assuming this is a bench mount hand drill that I've found.

Edit:  Discussion on bench mount hand crank device moved here:  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=4276.msg26701#msg26701

This small pipe vise

This bottle jack

One of those two pairs of threaders found

A level I've not decided yet if its been cut short

Ease out?

This is what I had planned for the day before I was derailed with rusty finds on the property

A view of the stove and workbench after their scrubbing.

I could stand some help figuring out the purpose of this

I want to say this guy is old, but I don't know what it might be.  I'm guessing farm animal tools of some sort.

Again - my guess is old but not a clue as to what it may be a part of - I'd guess some strapping on a horse or mule harness.

There are supposed to be T-shaped jaws in this Columbian 605 vise - I suspect it was used in the absense of the jaw and the upper support was sheared off.  It has a date with the machine shop next Monday.

A view of the West side of the shop with the tool room completely gone.

I found this little guy today - it may well be the smallest tire tool looking thing I've seen

Not found today - but I thought I'd snap a couple of pictures and share nonetheless.  It is a stump puller by American Chain Co.

Following are a few tools I had previously found outside the shop and had been working to clean up.  First is a William 18" adjustable

3 snappy's and a Williams S-52

Unidentified pipe wrench

Craftsman pipe wrench and a few brake tools

Wood Chisel found today along with a few drill bits cleaned

There is something very very different about the shaping on the handle of one of these Ridgid 24"

A Williams 8914 2-3/8"

A Herbrand Ford main bearing wrench

I would appreciate comments, if you have them, on this wrench with no markings

A pair of Craftsman shears

Some more junk just throw on the ground

I also found two pair of pipe tongs, one about 24" and the other closer to 60".

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:15:18 AM by OilyRascal »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
You know you're making that stuff too pretty!    I can't believe there was wood like that under 40 years of lube and dirt, quite a bench.  First tool is bench mount for sure, but a drill?  Like another pic of it, most of it looks like a hand crank grinder, but.  The unknown hammer head, looks like an offset cutter/shaper for some unknown use, definitely blacksmith item.  The farm animal tool is a plain old clevis, probably used on a horse drawn implement, but can assure that is blacksmith made.  The odd shape to the Ridgid wrench I am going to say dates it probably 30 years older than the one next to it.  The plain wrench, just an early open end, probably had a special purpose, and I have seen a blacksmith do that good of work, lots of early wrenches had no markings.  All this work is showing it was worthwhile, even the old concrete floor looks great. 

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »
A couple more views of the bench mount:

Edit:  Discussion on bench mount hand crank device moved here:  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=4276.msg26701#msg26701
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:14:27 AM by OilyRascal »

Offline Branson

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »
>The farm animal tool is a plain old clevis, probably used on a horse drawn implement, but can assure that is blacksmith made. 

Yup.  Nicely blacksmith made, too.

The "old wood chisel" is also blacksmith made.  I recognize the work on the socket.  I haven't seen an American made socket like this, but it's about the only way sockets are made by the hills peoples of Laos.  I have some chisels made this way, and knives, too.  Interesting to see this one.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:19 PM »
I don't have a clue where my day went or what I accomplished other than taking some pictures.

It appears this is a banding ratchet with a built-in cutter. 

This is a rather large wrench I found yesterday during my expedition.  I believe it to be marked "NSCO" - I'm guessing a custom wrench for an oil field engine.

I really don't have a guess on this wrench outside a custom wrench for some piece of shop equipment.  It was hanging via a wire on the wall.

I'm very curious to figure out what these guys are used for.  They appear to cut a hole via a nice slam of persuasion.

I realize by admitting I don't know on so many things I'm exposing my shortcomings, but I don't know where else to start.  Another where I don't know.  I would say it is a cutter of some sort.

I'd say this is an inside measurement device - although I've never used one.

And a few other machinist tools found in drawers today:

The "old wood chisel" is also blacksmith made.  I recognize the work on the socket.  I haven't seen an American made socket like this, but it's about the only way sockets are made by the hills peoples of Laos.  I have some chisels made this way, and knives, too.  Interesting to see this one.

Here is a couple more pictures of that chisel.  I'm interested in reading about Laos when I have time.  Would you care to take a stab at dating it and it's origin?

You know you're making that stuff too pretty!    I can't believe there was wood like that under 40 years of lube and dirt, quite a bench.  First tool is bench mount for sure, but a drill?  Like another pic of it, most of it looks like a hand crank grinder, but.  The unknown hammer head, looks like an offset cutter/shaper for some unknown use, definitely blacksmith item.  The farm animal tool is a plain old clevis, probably used on a horse drawn implement, but can assure that is blacksmith made.  The odd shape to the Ridgid wrench I am going to say dates it probably 30 years older than the one next to it.  The plain wrench, just an early open end, probably had a special purpose, and I have seen a blacksmith do that good of work, lots of early wrenches had no markings.  All this work is showing it was worthwhile, even the old concrete floor looks great. 

John, as always thanks for your comments.  I posted a couple more pictures of the bench mount rotary tool - and I'll stop calling it a drill for now.  If you don't have an immediate take on it I may place it in a thread for more help.  I really don't have a clue what it might be outside a drill.  It does appear there is a clutch, of sorts, engineered on the handle end.

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
You have some very interesting finds pictured here lately,  I'd be interested to know what that hand crank bench mount device is.  The chisel is a cool find, hand made for sure and well done. Looks like it got a lot of use too.  Those circular cutters are just that, we used them to cut the bolt hole in gaskets and to make leather and rubber washers.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
I am still thinking on the grinder device, it looks like a drive pin on the threaded end, plus a taper.  The measuring devices in the red bag, are snap gauges, poor mans inside micrometer.   Lower one into a hole/cylinder, loosen the handle, the spring loaded bar snaps out, rock it around to get minimum reading, tighten handle, lift out, and measure with an ordinary micrometer.  A pricey tool when new, still useful in a machine shop setting.  The double ended cutter is a special drill bit for making recessed screw or rivet holes, double ended so it can be switched when getting dull, think along the lines of a body mans double drill bit.  The small pieces in the pics with the calipers, are attachments for a dial indicator, to find top dead center and out of round, again pricey when bought new.  The long round items in the red tubes are of course reamers, for wrist pins, king pins, and probably a dozen things on oil well pumps back when brass bushings were more common than roller bearings.    The blacksmith made chisel was probably made within 20 miles of right there, looked like an expedient made tool for a special purpose, ideally the wrap, around the missing handle should have been welded, was it?
      OK, think I have it, on the hand crank grinder item.  If you think of clamping it to a table or bench, the shaft points up, right?   there is a drive pin thru the shaft, so something can sit down over the taper, locking it on better to spin.  I have seen one similar recently in an antique shop.  Essentially it is the spinner for a centrifuge.  The missing part is a small frame work, cast, or made of steel rod, fits tightly over the shaft, locks on the pin, the part is about the size of a pie plate.  On the outer edge of the "pie plate",   are 3-4 or 6 cups, each the size of a baby bottle, when the crank is turned it starts spinning, like an amusement park ride.  In the cups you pour fresh cows milk.  Once it is spun for a little bit, the cream separates from the milk to the bottom of the cups.  Unhook the cups, pour out the milk, then scoop out the cream, to get the percentage of butterfat in the milk.  Why?  because whole milk is bought and paid for on the percentage of butterfat/cream.   The richer the better.  Bigger dairies all had one, plus the farmers wife could get cream for her cooking right away.   Why its in the shop?   May somebody was adapting it to check crude oil percentages?   Thats my take.

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
all I can say is wow! like two lifetimes of garage sale finds.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2012, 06:11:43 AM »
all I can say is wow! like two lifetimes of garage sale finds.

And two lifetimes of tornadoes at Fred Sanford's house that landed in the pasture :)

The blacksmith made chisel was probably made within 20 miles of right there, looked like an expedient made tool for a special purpose, ideally the wrap, around the missing handle should have been welded, was it?

I need to look closely at the chisel again to say for certain if there was weld on the wrap for the handle.

I think you're on to something with the diary centrifuge notion.  I looked at a few online now and it could make sense.  I did not find that particular tool in the shop, rather out laying about outside the shop in a pile with various farming attachments (I might add an old milk jug was sitting in the pile).  I don't think they were getting fancy on a crude viscosity test.  It makes sense that it be present if a dairy tool.  My grandparents raised cattle and had a meat processing facility ("the meat house") - still there under growth.  I very well remember the days of helping my grandmother milk the cows, but I don't recall having seen this in the house............and it wasn't found near the house.  I don't think it's a meat grinder or I'd remember it as such.  I spent nearly every Saturday as a young person working in or around the meat house. 

I'll run it by my dad and see if it jogs his memory - maybe suggesting diary line of thinking if he coughs up on it.  My dad is the oldest alive of 13 children and left the house early in life.  It has been common to find things he wasn't aware of because they were brought in after he had left.

Edit:  Discussion on hand crank device moved here:  http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=4276.msg26701#msg26701
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:13:34 AM by OilyRascal »

Offline Branson

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »
All the old socket chisels were made this way, but the socket was closed off and the whole seam forge welded, but they didn't leave the bottom of the socket open as in your chisel.  Sometimes the welds didn't hold well (I have an 1860s framing gouge in which the socket has burst along the weld).

The hills peoples of Laos (and other areas of SE Asia) don't , traditionally, make socket chisels, but use the sockets to accept the handles of their knives and adzes and other agricultural tools.  The socket chisels that I have that were made by Hmong blacksmiths represent an attempt to apply their traditional sockets for  the use of chisels.  Theirs are only welded at a ring at the top of the socket.  What reminds me of their sockets is the open
bottom.  That leads me to think that the chisel was expediently made by hand forging.  It ought to have been welded all along the seam.

There appears to be a stamp of some sort just below the opening at the bottom of the socket.  Can you discern anything there?

Other than that, it looks like a framing, or maybe a firmer chisel.  The socket is fairly thick at the bottom, an earlier style in factory made examples.  More recent sockets are much more tapered, down to almost a half inch where the blade flares out on the one sitting on my desk. 

So yours was smithed after the fashion of the 1800s rather than the 1900s.  Whether this indicates age is impossible to say.  The smith who made this may have used an earlier chisel as a model, or he may have thought a thicker handle was better, or maybe it was just less work to forge it thicker.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
I wouldn't say the seem on that chisel is welded so much as both sides butting with ever ever so slight overlap with very thin metal at the edges.  No evidence of any metal seamed in.  I believe the stamping reads "MOTTR"