Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 99690 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
The morning was about trying to sort, test, decision the pile of power and pneumatic tools found over the course of cleaning.

some of the air tools

I really like this impact

But I'm also rather fond of this Rockwell

A very strange "saws all" attachment for a drill?

After noon I managed to make a mess of all the cleaning work by making a climb up top.  It was a nasty job creating even more headache but it needed to be done.  Coming down with some limited amount of usable 1x8 pine tongue/groove got me inspired to start thinking about restoring that shop fan my papaw had put together.  He had used the very same wood cut on his mill, planed and molded in the shop, inside his house he built.  Left-over wood from the house project had not only been used to build the case for that fan, but had been stored (very poorly for such a duration) up top in the shop. 

This is the fan I'd like to restore

Part of the mess I made coming down with wood

I was also able to clear off the sheet of plywood laying across the pumping unit base - exposing the base which I hope to move tomorrow.

Moving the ply also exposed for a much better view this triplex pump

I found these three gears each made of solid brass, and each weighing well over 150 lbs.

and a forth huge brass Continental gear found, but this one isn't in such great shape.

I still have a lot of progress to make tomorrow with getting that old wood down from above.

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:31 PM »
Forgot to include a picture of the Old Timer Honesteel that I found early on in the shop.  I've done little with it other than wipe it down good.  This belonged to my mother's father who often worked for my father's father.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »
WOW, what a project. This has got to be an amazing journey for you. I will follow it with great anticipation. Thanks for sharing.
Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
I was able to finish removing the wood (and other debris) that was racked up top - well at least I removed wood to the extend I wanted it down.  There is a planked (4x12s) area I will leave for storage....but the stored wood is down.  There was more wood up top than I thought.  I had forgotten about a kitchen fire in the house at some point in my early years where it had to be rebuilt/fixed.  It seems some of the char'd wood torn out from the fire was stored up top.  I also found 2x6xrandom bead board, 2x6xrandom finish planed t/g, and a couple 2x12x16 (store bought) that have some great grain and will be used for certain.

This is the mess I had after bringing down all the wood that was stored.

Part of an old sign stored up top:

It looks so much better up top, and ready for some lathing after I unbolt some of the angle iron and turn it around.

This is what I was able to save

And those 2x12x16

and the rest - they ended their life and will rest where they started - in the dirt of that property.  It's really an unusual life-cycle for a piece of wood these days; to grow as a tree on the property, cut down by hand by the owner, milled in the back yard (still there), planed in the shop, house built by hand with it, torn down later because of fire in house, saved "just in case" for 35+ years, and burned to the ground out front by a grandson reaching for some order.  I'm never proud to burn old wood - and don't unless it just doesn't make sense to keep it (less than 36" usable went)....but in this case it felt good to my soul to be a part of it.  It will feel better to make use of that wood I saved :)

I was able to get that pumping unit base moved

I've searched for this tool from the day I started the project.  I had given up hope that it would be found, but wouldn't you know I found it today in the very last underneath the counter corner way back in the back kinda thing.  I am very happy to have found it.  I'll let you tell me what it was used for. 

A view of the shop at end of day

and a final picture - a view by the gate as I was locking up.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »
Are you done then?   That pump base would be the start of a dandy welding table.  Those brass gears, WOW, it would be so tempting to mock up something to let the shaft and gear with the herring bone teeth rotate, cannot imagine  pricing metal pieces like those today.    You're probably ready for a vacation after all this.   Okay, you got me on the tool you finally found, Whatzit?   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
I don't have much to report, or show, for today as it was consumed with pressure washing inside.  I suspect the next several days will hold the same fate.  I did find this strange, really hard white-ish surface, under a layer of film and a second layer of goo'y muck.

As has been said about holding a tool in your hand - I had to think each of those nicks in the concrete, each of those oily spots, each spills of babbit, have a story to tell.

Are you done then?   That pump base would be the start of a dandy welding table.  Those brass gears, WOW, it would be so tempting to mock up something to let the shaft and gear with the herring bone teeth rotate, cannot imagine  pricing metal pieces like those today.    You're probably ready for a vacation after all this.   Okay, you got me on the tool you finally found, Whatzit?   

John - The notion of being done is far out of reach at present.  I've just got to where I know what is there, the trash and things that don't belong out, and started on a cleaning path.  I still have inventory, organization, and basic repairs to the building. 

Agreed on the pump base, as a matter of fact it was only in there as a work table.  I've been on vacation since late Oct 2006.  I'm enjoying myself, and hopefully past some of the worst parts of this project - although I have admittedly avoided that bathroom insofar.

Maybe another view of that tool will help.  If not, I'll provide the "giveaway" picture.  You need to at least guess before I just tell you.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:35:47 PM by OilyRascal »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Derek, I could not view all of your past pictures because I dont travel to websites such as flicker or some of those other picture storing sites but I am looking for a new compressor motor. The one on the top of my tank is just worn out, I need one that is belt driven as I believe this type will give me a much better air supply.

If you or anyone knows of one I would be interested
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
Derek, I could not view all of your past pictures because I dont travel to websites such as flicker or some of those other picture storing sites but I am looking for a new compressor motor. The one on the top of my tank is just worn out, I need one that is belt driven as I believe this type will give me a much better air supply.

I'm in a bit of the same boat myself, but found a 9hp briggs in unknown condition I'm hopeful I'll use for myself.  Are you looking for an electric or gasoline driver?  What hp rating?

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »
Hey Oily, Looks to me like your just teasing us with 1/2 of the picture,as I see it now it appears that it may be part of a cinch of some kind,it looks a lot like a handle on some kind of device that would clamp or pull something together. That's about all I can come up with

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
Is a special use tool for a specific job - not an ordinary handle or lever.  Showing the better view is a bit of a giveaway. 

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »

I'm in a bit of the same boat myself, but found a 9hp briggs in unknown condition I'm hopeful I'll use for myself.  Are you looking for an electric or gasoline driver?  What hp rating?
Electric, bigger the better, thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
Handle for a chain binder?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
Used as a wire winder?   You got me, I can honestly say I have never seen one.  But then, I don't get out much. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:06 AM »
Didn't Hoe make print presses and supplies?. Also self adjusting wrenches.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Work downstream of a forest, YES....but this one's not for the printing presses.  Maybe this view will help.