Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 97837 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
 Since you showed us a sawmill and Hoe did make saw tools; I assume its a saw tool but still don't know what it did.
 Reading a book on sawmilling and saw mills in northwest but haven't seen this tool.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
My second guess, On head rigs similar to what you showed us,after a slab was cut off and the carrige returns to the infeed  posistion the operator pulled on a handle that  moved the log out in preparation for the next cut.I have no idea what the proper name is for the handle but they did look a lot like what your showing us.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
Oily I can't believe the progress its looking fantastic. I bet that old wood had a bit of dust on it. I suspect that fan will help on those hot Texas summer days. I like the photo of honeysuckle and wild strawberries too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:48:02 PM by Fins/413 »
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »
Do you have any planes for the sawmill, those things alaways amaze me.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
Since my last update I've been able to finish power washing the building and the slab.  The place looks so much different not having all the dirt and debris everywhere.....not that it is organized.  Having a few things washed down led me down the path of trying to freshen a few things up before I started putting things up.  I started with one of two workbenches (24" deep, 24' long).  They were made of angle-iron in framing with 2x12 white pine for the work top and shelves.  They have stood the test of abuse, heavy vise, bench grinders, crude oil, some weather, and time very well.  It is the first time I've started a wood project by sanding with a wire brush (it worked), then 40 grit, then 60, blah blah.  I have two coats of spar-urethane sealer on at this point and the iron framing painted gloss black.

The Ridgid No. 25 pipe vise mounted on the iron table got a cleaning, new jaws, and fresh paint.  I plan to paint the iron work-table tomorrow.

I've also started down the path of some iron work repairs at the slab level, and painting of iron work through-out to give it some protection.

Today I lucked upon 9 used, but very good condition, fluorescent light fixtures (for free) that I can install.  The lighting is a real problem right now.  I may try to focus those 9 above the workbench areas.

I might finally have a buyer for that 5.9 cummins and allison tranny sitting on the floor....crossing fingers it moves soon.

I know without pictures it didn't happen - but without a camera pictures can't happen.  Mine took a hit several days ago while I was trying to lockup with to much stuff in my hands.  My wife has offered hers, but I'm scared to death I'll break it just on the heals of her traveling back home.

I'm starting to rather like the notion of having a place to go and do my work - away from home with clear separation of personal time.

Since you showed us a sawmill and Hoe did make saw tools; I assume its a saw tool but still don't know what it did.
 Reading a book on sawmilling and saw mills in northwest but haven't seen this tool.

The Hoe tool is used to insert and remove the teeth on the blade of the sawmill.  It has removeable/replaceable inserts.  I hope to get up the hill soon with both teeth and tool in hand and take some photo's to demonstrate.

Do you have any planes for the sawmill, those things alaways amaze me.

I'm not aware of any planes for it, and I have no plans.  I already have a bandsaw mill that'll handle a 16' log....no need for another - My dad, who would know, tells me that mill is extremely dangerous as-is - likes to throw a log around, particularly up, with no real protections.

Oily I can't believe the progress its looking fantastic. I bet that old wood had a bit of dust on it. I suspect that fan will help on those hot Texas summer days. I like the photo of honeysuckle and wild strawberries too.

Thanks!  Yes, taking that old wood down provided for several days of sinus issues.  Only one fan currently operational.  I need to hurry and get another going before it gets hot.....although I've finding with the windows unblocked and open a nice breeze will flow through the building.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
I could not find the Hoe tool. This is the EC Atkins version from an 1894 catalog. It is the same idea, just a different maker.

Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
OOPs sorry Oily I meant Plans, not planes.

Yeh it does look dangerous.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papa Tango

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
Awesome post.  I really enjoyed reading this and I commend you, sir, for this labor of love.  I wish you well with your endeavors and look forward to seeing future updates.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
I have another, not discussed here, project at home so I only had a few hours to spend at the shop today.  I was able to knock out dressing up the stove with some high-temp paint.  An interesting thing I just noticed when painting it today; the exhaust vent pipe is 10" schedule 160 with welded joints.  I think I've now learned where my "overkill" tenancy comes from.  I also finished with the 6x6 iron work table, and got the dressed up pipe vise back on it.......and I'm a little further along with iron repairs and getting the iron work painted. 

No shop work tomorrow for slab being poured at home.  I promise to have some pictures of the progress soon.

Is anybody able to tell me the year model of this truck?

I could not find the Hoe tool. This is the EC Atkins version from an 1894 catalog. It is the same idea, just a different maker.

Thanks so much for that catalog reference and picture.  That may just help me find the other tools.

OOPs sorry Oily I meant Plans, not planes.

Yeh it does look dangerous.

I personally find my 10" table saw dangerous, and big, enough a circular saw for me.

Awesome post.  I really enjoyed reading this and I commend you, sir, for this labor of love.  I wish you well with your endeavors and look forward to seeing future updates.

I appreciate your comments, Papa Tango.  I keep saying I'm having fun, and I keep getting asked "How can that be fun?".

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:18:41 PM by OilyRascal »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
1965, either got a six, or a 390.  If it cranks over, one could probably get it running.  Sure would make a good looking flatbed, headache rack, tool boxes!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
1965, either got a six, or a 390.  If it cranks over, one could probably get it running.  Sure would make a good looking flatbed, headache rack, tool boxes!

It's certainly no six - I'm going with 460 but you may be right in 390.

Sure WILL make a good looking flatbed, headache rack, winch, and poles :) - suitable bed found here:

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
A ready made flat bed, neat, plus a winch and boom.   Now that cab looks sorta like the first one you posted, did somebody cut that one in two to make a trailer?  I don't think you'll be in a hurt for spare parts, spares you got!   Is that winch PTO driven?  If so, is that a hydraulic controller sitting on the bed? 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15:50 AM »
Great looking truck and Id take a 390 over a 460 any day of the week
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2012, 05:31:30 AM »
A little moe info on Hoe.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hus-saws/Hoe%26co/rHoeCo-index.asp

They are still in business as; Pacific Hoe Saw & Knife Co - (503) 234-3834

8228 SE 26Th Pl, Portland, OR 97202. I don't think that they have a website.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:43:24 AM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2012, 06:52:44 AM »
A ready made flat bed, neat, plus a winch and boom.   Now that cab looks sorta like the first one you posted, did somebody cut that one in two to make a trailer?  I don't think you'll be in a hurt for spare parts, spares you got!   Is that winch PTO driven?  If so, is that a hydraulic controller sitting on the bed?

I don't think they cut it in two - I think somebody, at some point, was on a piece of heavy equipment and decided to move it the "I don't give a crap" method. 

I did not keen in on the cab being close to the other.  I'll go have a better look tomorrow.  I'm not certain, but I think that bed may have been on the 1965 truck at one point.  I was born 7 years AFTER it would have been bought new, so I'm not sure if I remember correctly or not.  I will inquire as to the history of the truck when I'm able.

I do believe you're correct that is a PTO on the bed.  As I remember nearly every transmission my papaw would come by had a way to bolt a PTO to it - sometimes two were bolted up.  He was going to have a PTO winch on every personal truck he had.  Three things happened when he got a new truck each January.  1) convert it to LP, 2) rig out with PTO winch and his bush guard, and 3) give year old truck to field hands to trash.  I moved all the PTO's into an old school bus when I was cleaning the shop (crapping NONE) - the floor is about a 1/4 full lined with PTOs.

A little moe info on Hoe.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hus-saws/Hoe%26co/rHoeCo-index.asp

They are still in business as; Pacific Hoe Saw & Knife Co - (503) 234-3834

8228 SE 26Th Pl, Portland, OR 97202. I don't think that they have a website.

Thank you, again!