Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 97846 times)

Offline Branson

Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
I don't guess Poison Ivy or Poison Oak have ever bothered me at all (knocking on wood).  I've been told if you never smell the burning of them that you'll not be allergic (my mamaw said that).

Immunity to poison oak/ivy may not be permanent, so take some precautions and be grateful when mistakes happen.   It seems that repeated exposure can reduce the immunity, at least in some cases.   I've been immune so far -- I've even been rolled in the stuff -- but I don't take chances if I can avoid contact.

Smoke sure took away the immunity a friend of mine had -- a lot of smoke.   It got into his lungs.  A nightmare experience.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
Day 15 - I had to force myself back to the "grind stone"; the effort of cleaning and sorting through remaining piles in the shop.  It was just another day of sorting out normal household trash, piping supplies to be removed, and scrap.  All of the trash and scrap has finally been gone through and I'm down to just a couple of areas that still need tools, supplies, and such further sorted and organized.  I'd like to think if I push hard enough I can be done mid next week with sorting through things, throwing things out, and ready to tackle some organization of what will remain in the shop.

A view of the shop as it stood end of day today

There was a wood tool box that I had found weeks ago up high on top of the shelving and set down to look at later.  Today I emptied it out on a clean table and sorted through it.  I found a Sunnen hone and support bodies, multiple stone sets, instructions for each set, and nice metal case.  I wasn't able to spend a great deal of time on it but the little reading I did in the instructions stated up to a 21" hone.  There are some very large hone stones there but I did little more than get it all wiped down and placed a little more orderly in the original box.

I suppose this is the result of either necessity or boredom.  I'm doubting the latter.

A fresh look for a couple of prybars

I'd love to hear if anybody knows what this is.  Maybe I'm not being simple minded enough and it's just a prybar, but it sure has the characteristics of more than just a simple pry.

I'm also have not been able to identify the purpose of this - my best guess is saw tooth setter for that big sawmill

Another tool below that I came across today that I'm struggling with.  It appears as if it would "lock" something in place (a rod?)

I found the spigot below today made of brass

This is one mean looking puller

If you would like to view the full album of all pictures taken today they may be found via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday15
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline benjy

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
finished next week?? then may i suggest that you put everything back and start again..we are all enjoying it toooooo much for you to finish
TOOL TALK MEMBER OF THE MONTH April 2012

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
Blue Point wheel puller (from axle) patent 2005534 issued 1935

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline kxxr

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
I have even got my wife hooked on this thread. Go Oily!!! We are rooting for ya. But .... have you caught a glimpse of the finish line yet? Is there one? Ha!

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »
I have even got my wife hooked on this thread. Go Oily!!! We are rooting for ya. But .... have you caught a glimpse of the finish line yet? Is there one? Ha!

You have no idea how hard it is for me not to be dragging stuff INTO the shop to work on.  YES, I'll find a finish line soon that lets me drag stuff in :)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
 Don't set any saw teeth with that strange looking thing;according to the patent its for opening jars. I see a Papaw's wrench hat in the background of one of your photos; didn't know those caps were available way back when. I am enjoying your adventure,sure is nice to sit back and let you do the work. Of course you also get the thrill of discovering all these goodies.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »
I think he stuck that hat in to dig at me. I forgot that I had sent him one some time ago!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
I was able to spend a few hours in the shop yesterday and a few hours again today working to tear out the 12' of shelves that were used to store parts.

This:

Is now THIS:

After I had the shelving removed I started the nasty job of cleaning up the stuff that had fallen in the 6" of space between it and the outside wall - a nice 60 something years of crap falling behind the shelves.  During the cleanup I found this cell tester:

and this pair of welding shields?

and another one of these - only this set has a chain attached to the end.  I'm still trying to figure out what they are.

I found this very strange pair of pliers? having a 90 degree head that functioned very well after a little oiling. 

The "go home pile" on the trailer grows

Lastly a view of the shop at end of day.

If you'd like to view all pictures taken today you may via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/theoilyshop

Offline rusty

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

The Champion air compressor on the tank is a keeper guy :)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
The pliers look like hog-ring pliers to me.

I believe you are correct, and that would make perfect sense as a tool around given he raised hogs in the wild all his life.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
Hog ring pliers for sure, but offset like that, would be nice for doing upholstery, clipping stays into the frame at odd angles.   The cell tester, was great for when batteries had connector plates on top the case, one of these days I'm going to find one in my price range.  What was that orange radiator attached to?  Can see another whole wall now, great!   Ever estimate how many tons of iron you're hauling out, or just moving?  Good going.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
That radiator is to a rather large Onan generator that is torn down to 1000 pcs. - I'm assuming being rebuilt as I found bent connecting rod and mushroom looking piston and new replacement connecting rod and piston. 

About 8 tons of sure enough scrap iron.  I have no idea how many tons of good iron in iron stock, pipe, and pipe fittings I've moved to that storage van.  That doesn't speak to who knows how many tons moved with tractor in engines, block/tackle, and power swivels, and power tongs.  Nor does it include the tons of Continental engines/parts being donated to a worthy cause.....or the 600 ft. of 1" steel solid core cable just laying on spools on the front slab.  It has been a heavy lifting project.

I cleaned up the iron rack outside the bay doors today and organized the stock I'd found and collected together.  It looks great and has a good selection of stock to work with now....and the slab in front of the bay doors has finally been cleared end-to-end. 

If only that basin in the front slab were draining.  I need some steam or really hot water in good volume.  I'm certain it's old mucky oil filled drain pipe.  The slab drains well with the current grade but in the middle it was decided to make that sloped with a basin so he could drain his parts washer out of the area and not have everything wet.  I have no idea where the drain goes/went.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Any updates?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood