Author Topic: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study ©  (Read 87137 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
Hello, Jim. Thanks for all of your hard work, I have read every page!!! Very thorough, and very well written. Regards, Lou

Thanks Lou!  I’m glad you stuck with the thread to the end. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:58:27 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
Hello, Jim. Thanks again for all of your efforts!!! I dug out my "go to" ratchets from my shop. I am going to take a stab at the Type 14. TD, NonOH, LL, QR, FA, VF. If you look closely, you may see a difference in the bases of the levers, mine seem more oval than round, these may have been re-built. I would go to the Sears store for a warranty, and ask for the rebuild kit, instead of them replacing my ratchet with a new one, and fix it myself. . I would use as many old parts that I could. I always liked the look of these levers. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »
Wow Lou!  That’s a nice set of ratchets.  It was my opinion that your style of ratchets were produced after the ratchets featured in this Type Study.  I knew there was some overlap between the Type 14 ratchets in the Study with the -VG- mark, and the style of ratchets you posted, also stamped with the -VG- mark, leading me to think there was an overlap in production between the two styles occurring somewhere around 1992/1993.   I’m surprised to see that your ratchets are stamped with -VF-, proving there was overlap occurring perhaps sooner than I thought.... maybe like 1991 or 1992.  That just adds a little more accuracy to things!  Thanks for taking the time to post a few pictures!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:07:23 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2018, 07:08:00 AM »
Hi Jim,

Here's a couple of abused Craftsman ratchets.  I believe one of them may be in your type study. Maybe a Type 12?

The other is clearly after since it appears to have a plastic switch lever.  I found both of these on the side of the road some time in the past few years.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:19:01 AM by Yadda »
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
Hey Yadda,

You’re absolutely correct on both counts.  The one ratchet falls outside of the Type Study and the other one is definitely a Type 12.  I’m glad to see that you were able to identify your ratchet using the information presented in this thread.  That makes me feel like my efforts were not wasted.  Thanks for the validation!

Jim C.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Excellent report! Thanks.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
Okay, if I'm beating a dead horse, just say so and I'll move on.  Very recently I came across a really nice example of a Type 2 Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet, 1/2" drive.  If you need a refresher on Type 2 ratchets, go back to Page 1, Reply 13, and read more than you probably wanted to know about the Type 2.  Anyway, when I added the Type 2 information to the thread, I mentioned that I've seen them with chrome finished socket posts and black oxide finished socket posts.  As I went back to see what I said, I didn't think I addressed the variation well enough.  A few pictures may have helped to provide some clarity.  Well, my recently acquired Type 2, 1/2" drive ratchet has a very nice, original, black oxide finished socket post.  It was my opinion that earlier versions of the Type 2 ratchets followed the Type 1 ratchets, that is, both having chrome finished socket posts.  At some point during Type 2 production (1960 - 1966), the chrome finished socket post was replaced by a socket post finished in black oxide, which was the standard going forward with all Type 3 through Type 14 ratchets.  (It should also be noted that on Type 1 and early Type 2 ratchets, not only are the socket posts chrome finished, but so are their main gears.)  Anyway, I thought a side-by-side comparison might be a good idea.  As I was writing this post, I also noticed a difference in the raised panels on the handles of the Type 2 ratchets.   

Take a look at the photos below.  The first one depicts an earlier version of the Type 2 (on the top) and a later version Type 2 (on the bottom).  The second photo shows a close up of the Type 2 raised panels on the handles.  See the difference?  See how the earlier Type 2 panel (top) has rounded ends (like the Type 1 ratchets), while the later Type 2 version (bottom) has squared off panels (like Type 3 through Type 14 ratchets)? Earth shaking, right?  Take a look at the third photo.  It depicts the Type 2 socket posts.  The earlier Type 2 version is on the left, and has a chromed finished socket post like the Type 1 ratchets.  The Type 2 later version is on the right, with the black oxide finished socket post, like all Type 3 through Type 14 ratchets.

The fourth and fifth photos depict four ratchets, with the Type 1 on top, followed by the early Type 2, the later Type 2 and the Type 3 on the bottom.  Again notice the raised panel progression from rounded ends to square ends.  Finally, look at the sixth photo, depicting four ratchet heads.  The Type 1 is on the far left, followed by the early Type 2, the later Type 2, and the Type 3 on the far right.  See how the socket posts change from chrome finished to black oxide, somewhere in the middle of the Type 2 production?  Again, I know, mind-blowing information!  This is exactly what happens when I get into this stuff.  I start picking fly sh*t out of pepper and looking for every variation, change, error, minor detail, etc.  It can become maddening!  In my own defense, I guess this adds a little more accuracy to the Type Study.  Specifically, when talking about Type 2 ratchets, it appears that earlier versions had a chrome finished socket post and rounded raised panels, while later version Type 2 ratchets were produced with a black oxide finished socket post and squared off raised panels.  Glad we got that figured out.

Jim C.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
More great info Jim!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline p_toad

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
I like it.   Thank you.   :smiley:

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for keeping up with the thread!

Jim C.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
I feel the same.  Points for the details.

Chilly

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
Interesting study, when I can get to all my tools, I will check them all by your study. I have some from the 70s to 90s that I bought or obtained, plus some that belonged to my Grandfather. I have not gone through much of this study yet because my stuff is in storage right now. One thing I noticed was some talk about the difference in the chrome drive heads and the black anodized. I know that all my ratchets had chrome, but over the years of installing repair kits most became the black anodized. I didn't know they ever sold any already black.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
Hey papadan,

Thanks for checking out the thread.  Keeping in mind that this Type Study is limited in scope to basic Craftsman Teardrop Ratchets produced between 1956 and 1993, it’s my opinion that all Type 1 and some early Type 2 ratchets were produced with chrome finished socket posts and gears.  At some point during Type 2 production, between 1960 and 1966, the finish changed from chrome to black oxide (anodized) and were manufactured that way through the Type 14 ratchets.

The repair kits for the early Types are extremely rare.  I can’t say for sure what the finishes were on them.  I do know that with the introduction of the Type 11 ratchets, around 1980, when the quick release mechanism was fully enclosed within the socket post, the replacement kit parts were in fact finished in black oxide.  That includes the socket post and gear, the directional lever and gear retention ring.  I hope you’ll have some time to dig deeper into the Type Study.  If I got something wrong, please let me know.  The Type Study can only get better with constructive input.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:09:17 PM by Jim C. »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2018, 07:51:16 AM »
Jim C----Now that you are finished with the study, I'm waiting for a day when I cannot go outside to type my ratchets.  At last count I have 22 different ratchets that I think fall within your study.  And, I know where each one can be found.  Great job, thanks!---coolford

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
Hi coolford,

I’m glad you made through the Type Study, and I’m hoping you and others will use it as a resource in the future.  There’s got to be literally millions of these Sears/Craftsman Teardrop ratchets in toolboxes from coast to coast.  At some point I thought it would be good to identify them and put them into chronological order.  When I decided to officially try it, I looked around the internet and couldn’t find anything specific that dealt with this one segment of Craftsman ratchets, yet practically everyone I ever met who is even a tiny bit handy, a serious DIYer, or someone in between, has at least one of these ratchets.  Collecting them was mostly a fun process, sometimes frustrating, and occasionally a little expensive.  I’m still looking for variations within Types, and I think I may have found one among the Type 3 ratchets, specifically dealing with the oil hole on the top of the ratchet heads.  Some have the word “OIL” stamped on them while others do not.  Once I’ve confirmed a couple things, I’ll add another post, with photos, detailing the variance. 

Also, I know you were a frequent visitor and contributor at the Hand Plane thread over on the woodworking forum.  To you and others who follow that thread, don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about it!  I wanted to finish presenting this Type Study, and was just taking a little break.  I’m already planning a few posts over there probably right after the New Year.  So, keep an eye on it.  Also, I’ve got some other Sears/Craftsman tools I’d like to share with the crowd.  Stay tuned for those, as I’ll likely post them in this forum as new topics.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Jim C.