Author Topic: Odd Mossberg Model T con rod ratchet  (Read 63 times)

Offline moparthug

Odd Mossberg Model T con rod ratchet
« on: June 23, 2024, 01:39:43 PM »
Every Mossberg Ford Model T con rod ratchet tool I see online is a number 624 with a curled handle. There's a few on eBay in the $20 to 70 range, and Alloy Artifacts lists them clearly. However... I have a 024 with a straight handle, and it's not a curled handle just straightened out, it was made this way. I can't find any mention of this one. All I can think of is that the curled handle model came in a wood boxed set with sockets and other tools and needed to be compact. Perhaps this long handle ratchet is a "dealer mechanic" stand alone tool? Nowhere does it say Ford on it (that would be too easy). Any ideas?

I know they can't list every tool on their site, but it always makes me happy when I have a tool not listed on AA.  :smiley:
Rogue River, OR.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: Odd Mossberg Model T con rod ratchet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 05:17:11 PM »
curved one is for the number 3  main bearing, at least for the non ratcheting ones

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 07:01:43 PM »
Hello, moparthug . I could not find a 024 wrench in the Mossberg catalog. I think the number in your photo is a worn out number 6. I also think yours is a somewhat straightened 624 , the offset at the head is the same as the 624 in the catalog.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:44:06 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline moparthug

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:41 PM »
I had thought it may have been just straightened out initially, but mine has an obvious 4 inch (fuller?) groove stamped into both top and bottom of the rear handle. I don't have any clear photos of a curled handle model to compare if they have this as well. Or, I could have a standard 624 but the previous owner had some wicked forging skills? By chance does anyone have a standard model with the curved handle that can take a peek at theirs?
Rogue River, OR.

Offline moparthug

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:30:57 PM »
Still holding out hope I have something special!  :smiley:
Rogue River, OR.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:45:07 PM »
And I too hope that it is!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society