Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83867 times)

Online Jim C.

Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

$65 including postage price.

David Maher
1300 Saratoga Avenue #1104
Ventura, CA 93003

Cash, check, money order, paypal.   Paypal Firstclass4   They are shipped USPS priority 2 day.  Outside the US, I pay $6 of the postage and you pay the rest.

Is this offer still in effect ?

Try sending him a PM.

It's a great resource and well worth the money and effort.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online Jim C.

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
On the down side with the set screw Allen Head sockets they come loose and the hex drive bit falls out in the middle of a project.

Unfortunately, this is so true.

I still think they're pretty neat and will probably keep picking them up when I can.  I have a few with clutch head bits in them.

Jim C.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
That Craftsman speeder is an interesting piece, but its short manufacturing life was probably brought about by the introduction of an affordable air ratchet.   When I bring out a speed wrench at work, the techs younger than 35, (most of them) look at me crosseyed.   More of them are using battery powered tools than air anymore.   Can't really figure that, as you have to buy the batteries, whereas I just use the shop supplied air hose.  They aren't working so fast they can't drag an air hose around. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Jim C.

« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Craftsman 1/2" drive "L" wrench/breaker bar:

This example looks to be NOS.  Also notice the inked numbers stamped onto the shank that appear to read "109".  Could it be the price of the tool?  The only Craftsman catalog I can find that lists the price of this tool at $1.09 is the 1964 version.  Who knows for sure? 

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:54:31 PM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Craftsman SAE nut drivers:

This is a complete set (3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 11/32", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2") of Craftsman SAE nut drivers.  The manufacturer's mark is a V within a circle.  I'm guessing they were produced during the 1950s - 1960s.  What's interesting about them is that their shafts are hollow all the way up to the handles.  Later versions of Craftsman branded nut drivers are made with shafts that are hollow only about one third of the way up.

Jim C.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Hi Jim.  I wanted to comment that I've enjoyed this thread.  You have a wonderful collection of V series tools, and a collection to be proud of.  I've learned along the way.  Thanks for taking the time to share.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Online Jim C.

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi Mr. Rascal,

Thanks for watching the thread.  I'm slowly but surely building my =V= collection.  It started out as a working collection, and for the most part, it still is.  There's a few tools that I probably won't ever use (like a dog bone wrench because it's not very useful) but when I'm re-assembling an old car and definitely when I'm working on an old woodworking machine, I try to use tools out of my =V= collection.  Sometimes it's just not possible, but as I'm able to add a little more to the collection, using the right vintage tool for the job is getting easier to do.  What I like about collecting =V= tools is the fact that they're relatively abundant, and generally affordable.  I hope you'll keep checking back.  I'm always on the hunt, so as I add to my collection, you'll see it here.  Also, if you have any old =V= tools, I'd really like to see them so please post a few pictures.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:52:57 PM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
Craftsman 3/8" drive shallow 12 point sockets:

Sizes include 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4"

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:24:55 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
Love the set of nut drivers.

I have a couple extensions, swivel adapters, an a few Offset box wrenches with v markings. If you are intrested just send me a pm an I will grab some pictures.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Online Jim C.

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »

I have a couple extensions, swivel adapters, an a few Offset box wrenches with v markings. If you are intrested just send me a pm an I will grab some pictures.

Yes it's a nice set of nut drivers.  Thanks.  I was lucky to find them.  Right now I'm really looking for a complete set of =V= combo wrenches.

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
Crazy---------Just this weekend I picked up a Craftsman speed wrench 1/2" drive just like this one for $3.00.  Looks just as good.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »
Great price!!! How about posting a few pictures?

Jim C.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:41 PM »

Yes it's a nice set of nut drivers.  Thanks.  I was lucky to find them.  Right now I'm really looking for a complete set of =V= combo wrenches.

Jim C.
Jim,

I could help you out with those combos, or at least some of them - depending on how big you want to go.

I have been trying to focus on the tools in the 1960 catalog. My target year is 1962, but I don't know how often Sears made hand tool catalogs back then. I have the Rose Tool scanned 1960 and 1964 catalogs.

Last week I received an16 pc 1/2" socket set, with tool box, exactly as shown in the catalog,  except missing the crossbar for the 15" flex. Interestingly, in the 1960 catalog the same set was described as "17-pc. Set for Mechanics, Farm, Home". The only difference is that in 1957 they counted the a "15 inch "T" handle with crossbar" while in 1962 it became "15 inch flex handle; crossbar" (2 pieces.) So, exact same set with only the logo on the toolbox changing, but in 1960 advertised as 17 pc and in 1957 as 16 pc. I don't think of the crossbar as a tool, but as part of the15" flex tool. But I am not a marketing person....

Cost
1957 $20.95 & the 15 pc midget set was $8.95
1960 $22.50
2015, used, $47.00 for both sets.
($1.52 per piece, above my favorite price by 52% .)

Same shipment included a complete 15 piece 1/4" midget set. It was pre 1960 because of the logo change and the box insert was metal. 

1957 logo was an like an oval with a rectangle superimposed,  and 1960 was the crown logo.

So, even though the 1957 era stuff is earlier than my target, and I have all the same tools in the 1960's version (except the 1/2"set toolbox), I think I'll keep it.

My father-in-law's mother bought him his first craftsman set when he turned 16, in1957 (I think.) I am using that set's lettering and others to try to determine when each of the 3 variations of "v" stamping began / ended. Catalogs help. A bit. But they are often rendered. The 3/8" speeder ratchet I have is my best indication of the stamping that fits the era I am focusing on.

Any other ideas on when those stampings started and / or changed?

Chilly

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:07:25 AM by Chillylulu »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
Hi Chilly,

I also use the 1960 Craftsman catalog as my go to resource and guide to collecting old Craftsman hand tools.  I mostly go after those with the =V= manufacturer's mark on them and also some with the -V- and a part number.  I really don't know when the logos changed on the Craftsman stuff, but a guy over at the GJ who goes by "jakemac" might know.

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
Craftsman Clutch Head (Type G) Screw Drivers:

This set of four Type G clutch head screw drivers was offered by Craftsman during the late 1950s into the 1960s.  There were different clutch head screw configurations to include Type A, Type G and possibly others.  I don't believe clutch head screws are very popular now.  Notice the small driver still includes its original price tag of $1.29.  The size of each driver is stamped onto its respective shank.  The sizes are 5/16", 1/4", 3/16" and 5/32".

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:46:30 PM by Jim C. »