Author Topic: Indian Motorcycle Wrench - Who made them?  (Read 860 times)

Offline amecks

Indian Motorcycle Wrench - Who made them?
« on: March 24, 2023, 07:35:59 PM »
Who made these specific wrenches? It is a 7" auto wrench, adjustable, with Indian logo cast into the curved handle.  Prices can go to $200, however, I doubt they will sell at that price. 
I have an Indian Motorcycle but these wrenches are claimed to be from the 30's thru 50's era.  My Indian Chief is from 1959 when the bikes were imported from England, being built by Royal Enfield.
I would like to have one of these wrenches but maybe I can find a wrench in the same pattern without the Indian logo and without the astronomical price!
So does anyone recognize the pattern of the wrench and can point me to the manufacturer?
Thanks
Al
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:37:47 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Indian Motorcycle Wrench - Who made them?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 08:23:49 PM »
American built Indians stop production in 1953, after that the Royal Enfield company built  most all the Indians. Jawa built some for Indian  around 1948-53. @ stroke  small bikes to compete with the Harley Hummers. I've got 1 Indian wrench,  a couple of Dispatch tows and an Indian Arrow (Indian chasis/Enfield motor, different than a Enfield Idian, chain on opposite side)
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »
I had one of those 7" wrenches but sold it to a fellow who wanted it for his dad's Christmas present.
I got nowhere near $200.  $40, maybe.  Probably should have held out for more.  But I am a softie--occasionaly.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:35:38 PM »
  The current sale range is $50 to $60 for the Indian wrench (7 inch long).  There's always someone who wants to take advantage and the asking price will go as high as 200 or more.  I might, I say might, consider buying a very good example for about 50 -60.  But since my Indian dates from after the factory closed it would be sort of inappropriate for me to have the Indian wrench; cool, but I'm sure real Indian owners may look down on me scarfing one of their wrenches.
  If you have a 7" wrench that has the same handle shape I'd be interested - can purchase or trade for something.
  When the factory shut down in '53 there still existed a large dealer network -with no bikes to sell.  So The sales department imported Royal Enfields.  There must have been some small amount of success because they soon had Enfields sent over with Indian badges and specifications.  This is the era- 1958 to 1960 - that my 1959 Chief hails from.  After 1960 the Indian-Enfield relationship dissolved, and only leftovers were sold as 1961 models.  Thereafter Indian began importing Matchless motorcycles - with Indian names - but not badged as Indians.  I think this period only lasted 2 or 3 years (?).
  This 1959 Indian Chief (a Royal Enfield 700cc vertical twin) was purchased last year in sad shape.  I was able to get it running with various parts I had at hand, Triumph and Enfield parts.  A friend, whose Dad owned an actual Indian Dealership, supplied me with very many valuable, but missing, parts, including the tank badges, fender ornament and a speedometer.  Here it is on its first run under power in God knows how many years.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:37:32 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 10:19:06 PM »
I've always loved the way the cooling fins on the Enfield motors just keep marching up to the very top of the valve covers.

But you've got air cleaners - didn't the classic Enfields just use trumpets, not even bird screens?

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:01:15 AM »
The early Interceptors came with "velocity stacks".  The last series had an air cleaner.  I have a '67 1A Interceptor.  I put a set of the new style Amal washable spin on filters on it.
Unfortunately the original air cleaner was missing from the Chief.  That's a spare Triumph air cleaner I found here.  It barely fits.  The carbs works OK, and is the correct # carb, but is made up from three donor carbs.
This Chief will be nicely refurbished but I am not up for restoring it.  Hitchcock's in England can supply most of what it needs.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 06:07:00 PM »
Hello Al. I looked through the automotive adjustable wrench drawer, only 9" & 12"  wrenches.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society