Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83275 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
Hey Chilly,

How about posting a couple more pictures of that Craftsman 3/8" speeder ratchet?

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »
I will when it gets in.

I have been looking for one for quite awhile.  They are hard to find at the right price.
I hope it is "V" series.....

Chilly

Offline kxxr

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
If memory serves, they were made for such a very short period of time that they should all have the =v= mark.

Offline rusty

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
> they should all have the =v= mark.

I would expect so, the reverse lever itself is patented...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »
I think you guys are right.  I've never seen one that had anything other than a =V= manufacturer's mark.  I really wanna get one of those.

Jim C.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:08 AM »
That is an awesome looking speeder!!! Why didn't they continue making them? I would think it was popular...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline DobroDan

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
I am not a Craftsman collector, but found this thread interesting and looked though my few open ended, box end and combination wrenches. I only found 30 marked Craftsman, but noticed 7 different markings. I am not attached to any of them and would make them available to someone who could use them.

These markings  are =Craftsman=(both sides) no V; =Craftsman=(front), =Forged in USA=V=(back); =Craftsman=(front), Forged in USA-V^-5numbers;  -Craftsman-(front), -Forged in USA-V-(back);  Craftsman-V-(front), Unmarked (back); Craftsman (front), Made in USA-V-5numbers(back); and Craftsman 5numbers(front), Unmarked(back).

These may all be very common, but let me know if you need one. 

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »
I am not a Craftsman collector, but found this thread interesting....
I didn't collect craftsman "V" before I read this thread either.  Thanks, Jim.

Chilly

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
Hey Chilly,

I didn't really start collecting Craftsman =V= tools until just a few years back.  What triggered it mostly for me was tinkering with old cars and woodworking machinery.  I specifically needed a 25/32" open end wrench to turn a fastener on a 1952 Delta wood shaper.  I didn't have a 25/32" wrench, so I used a 20mm, which was very close and got the job done without rounding off the corners of the fastener.  I remember thinking to myself that it didn't seem right to use metric tools on old USA made machinery, and it might be fun to use similar vintage tools to work on my old machines.  Growing up, I remember using a lot of my uncle's old Craftsman tools, and decided I wanted a set of my own.  Next thing you know, I picked up a few =V= wrenches, a ratchet, some sockets, etc.  Now I'm a committed Craftsman =V= tools user and collector.  It's really just another reason to buy tools.   I'm glad to hear that this thread also motivated you to start collecting =V= tools.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:46:30 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
Craftsman 1/4" drive hex bit sockets:

The sockets depicted include sizes 7/32", 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8".  I think the set also included a 3/16" size.  (if anyone has an extra one to sell, I'm interested.)  What I like about these old bit sockets is that the bits themselves were held in place with a small hex socket set screw.  If the bit was damaged, it could easily be removed and replaced without having to replace the drive socket.

Jim C.   

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
On the down side with the set screw Allen Head sockets they come loose and the hex drive bit falls out in the middle of a project. I forget who made them but somebody made a set that was held in place with a spring ring.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
On the down side with the set screw Allen Head sockets they come loose and the hex drive bit falls out in the middle of a project. I forget who made them but somebody made a set that was held in place with a spring ring.

Hey Les! Good to see you over here on the Craftsman =V= thread.  I read your post and started laughing at the thought of the bit falling out in the middle of a project.  Can you imagine?  That's usually the kind of luck I would have.  So far that hasn't happened to me, but now I'll really make sure they're snug before I use them.

Jim C. 

Offline bunger

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2014, 09:00:09 AM »

$65 including postage price.

David Maher
1300 Saratoga Avenue #1104
Ventura, CA 93003

Cash, check, money order, paypal.   Paypal Firstclass4   They are shipped USPS priority 2 day.  Outside the US, I pay $6 of the postage and you pay the rest.

Is this offer still in effect ?
Milk crate suckage winner for February 2012

Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

$65 including postage price.

David Maher
1300 Saratoga Avenue #1104
Ventura, CA 93003

Cash, check, money order, paypal.   Paypal Firstclass4   They are shipped USPS priority 2 day.  Outside the US, I pay $6 of the postage and you pay the rest.

Is this offer still in effect ?

Try sending him a PM.

Offline leg17

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
On the down side with the set screw Allen Head sockets they come loose and the hex drive bit falls out in the middle of a project.

Unfortunately, this is so true.