Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 324563 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1185 on: July 27, 2021, 10:24:35 AM »
You can get citrus-based cleaning products that are, in my experience, hugely effective on pitch.  Your hardware store, if it's any good at all, will have them.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: July 28, 2021, 10:20:30 AM »
I agree 100% with Bill. Several years ago we built a new sawmill for a company in northern British Columbia. After the new mill was up any running we dismantle the old mill and the owner sold one of the main breakdown lines to a Chinese company. This was is the time period when the Mountain pine beetle was devastating our forests. We had given the Chinese company a firm price to clean and load out the equipment. they were adamant that all the pitch had to be removed 100% to prevent the spread of the beetle or it's eggs embedded in the pitch. Our older steam cleaner wasn't doing the job so we bought a new high powered steam cleaner and tried many many different cleaning products and finally after several weeks we tried a citrus based cleaner made by Zip and it was the ONLY product that worked. We went thru cases and cases of the stuff and I still use to this day.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1187 on: July 30, 2021, 04:55:01 AM »
Believe it or not, I’ve had really good results soaking pitch encrusted machine parts, saw blades and cutting irons in warm water infused with plain old ordinary liquid laundry detergent.  Fully immerse the part, blade, iron for about 20-30 minutes. The pitch gets soft and comes right off.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1188 on: January 18, 2022, 08:13:19 AM »
Hello Hand Plane Enthusiasts,

I hope everyone is off to a great start in 2022.  I’m doing okay, and do engage in a lot of woodworking since retiring almost three years ago.  Last summer we moved from the Midwest to the east coast.  It took a few months just to pack up my shop.  Anyway, I have a new shop and it’s just about 100% up and running.  I’m out in the shop between four and six hours every day working on a few different projects from furniture building to machinery rehab/restoration, etc.  And yes I’m still collecting and using and making hand planes……

At least 15+ years ago I started making a queen size bed. For whatever reason, the project stalled about halfway to the finish line.  Maybe it was work, kids activities and sports, or just a combination of things, but my woodworking sort lost momentum for several years.  The bed project was the victim of bad timing in my life.  I had too many other priorities.  So, I wrapped all the parts in movers blankets and set them aside for a long time.  Well, when I was packing up my shop, I had to decide what to do with this half finished bed.  I hated to scrap it because the wood is really beautiful, and I already had a lot of time into it.  I decided I’d move it with the rest of the contents of my shop.  Wrapped in the blankets, the bed parts made the trip in the ramp compartment beneath the trailer along with some other long planks.  Fortunately the bed parts made it here without a scratch.  I spent a good part of the summer and fall setting up my new work space and vowed that once I got things operational I’d get going on the bed.  So after fifteen or more years the bed project is nearing the finish line.

The bed construction is almost exclusively accomplished using mortise and tenon joinery.  As a result, one can imagine what type of planes I’m using to accurately fit the joints together.  I hope you’re thinking shoulder planes.  With the right combination of carefully adjusted planes, set for a light pass, I can make joints that fit perfectly.  Recently I used a Stanley #90, a #92 and and a #60 1/2R Lie-Nielsen rabbeting block plane modeled after the Sargent #507, to fit the tenons on two natural edge boards that will act as center stretchers in the headboard and footboard. Check out the photos below.

Jim C. 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:46:05 AM by Jim C. »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #1189 on: January 18, 2022, 03:25:21 PM »
Jim-C---I'm glad you have adjusted to the wilds of New Jersey.  Certainly you appear to have made great progress on the bed using "planes", and maybe some other old tools.  I have missed your posts even though I have moved on from planes.  By the way, I have yet to find the drive tool you need for the Walden socket set.----Charles

Offline p_toad

« Reply #1190 on: January 19, 2022, 03:03:59 AM »
nice.   what size mattress is that bed designed for?   Happy New Year

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1191 on: January 19, 2022, 05:03:48 AM »
Jim-C---I'm glad you have adjusted to the wilds of New Jersey.  Certainly you appear to have made great progress on the bed using "planes", and maybe some other old tools.  I have missed your posts even though I have moved on from planes.  By the way, I have yet to find the drive tool you need for the Walden socket set.----Charles

Hey coolford,

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  It’s always good to hear from you!  Although you may not be hunting for planes, I suspect that your tool collection has been steadily growing.  I’m getting used to NJ and landed in pretty nice neighborhood.  The house we bought needs a little work inside and out, but we’re making progress.  The draw was the four car garage.  With some significant improvements it has become my new shop.  What started as an open space with four sixty watt lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling, one 120 electrical outlet, and four uninsulated garage doors was transformed into a very nice workspace.  I'll try to post a few pictures.  As for that Walden drive tool, I have no doubt that you will eventually find it!  Happy New Year my friend.

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1192 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:33 AM »
nice.   what size mattress is that bed designed for?   Happy New Year

Hi p!  Thanks for checking in!  The bed will accommodate a queen size mattress.  I’ll post a few more pictures when it’s done.  Happy New Year to you as well!

Jim C.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #1193 on: January 19, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »
Jim, now that you ae a resident of the Garden State checkout CRAFTS of NJ, tool collecting club, meeting coming up the beginning of February, outside tailgate tool swap.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1194 on: January 21, 2022, 06:40:46 AM »
Hey Lew,

Thanks for the heads up!  I went to their website and it looks like an organization I’d like to know more about.  Will you be attending the club meeting in February?

Jim C.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #1195 on: January 21, 2022, 08:20:21 AM »
I'm not sure if I will make the February meeting, I usually attend the auction. A great bunch of guys with lots of trading going on at the tailgate events. They have a FB page as well as the website. You usually see Jim Bode and Martin Donnelly at the events.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1196 on: January 25, 2022, 06:44:50 AM »
It’s the start of another day out in the shop.  My bed project is nearing the end and my soldiers are at the ready!

Jim C.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #1197 on: January 25, 2022, 07:59:04 AM »
Prior to finishing, I like to plane off any machine marks particularly on the long edges.  Medium to small smoothers do a great job on this task.  I’m not going so much for dead flat as much I’m aiming for clean, silky, machine mark free surfaces. 

Jim C.  (1,000th post)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:50:38 AM by Jim C. »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1198 on: January 25, 2022, 12:39:42 PM »
Congratulations on your 1000th post!! Always entertaining & informative!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #1199 on: February 02, 2022, 09:36:09 PM »
Congratulations on your 1000th post!! Always entertaining & informative!!
+1
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....