Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 257170 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1185 on: July 27, 2021, 10:24:35 AM »
You can get citrus-based cleaning products that are, in my experience, hugely effective on pitch.  Your hardware store, if it's any good at all, will have them.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: July 28, 2021, 10:20:30 AM »
I agree 100% with Bill. Several years ago we built a new sawmill for a company in northern British Columbia. After the new mill was up any running we dismantle the old mill and the owner sold one of the main breakdown lines to a Chinese company. This was is the time period when the Mountain pine beetle was devastating our forests. We had given the Chinese company a firm price to clean and load out the equipment. they were adamant that all the pitch had to be removed 100% to prevent the spread of the beetle or it's eggs embedded in the pitch. Our older steam cleaner wasn't doing the job so we bought a new high powered steam cleaner and tried many many different cleaning products and finally after several weeks we tried a citrus based cleaner made by Zip and it was the ONLY product that worked. We went thru cases and cases of the stuff and I still use to this day.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1187 on: July 30, 2021, 04:55:01 AM »
Believe it or not, I’ve had really good results soaking pitch encrusted machine parts, saw blades and cutting irons in warm water infused with plain old ordinary liquid laundry detergent.  Fully immerse the part, blade, iron for about 20-30 minutes. The pitch gets soft and comes right off.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member