Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164090 times)

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
Now that is super special...
RooK E

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Thanks, HeelSpur.

Of course, I had to build a gold model.  May finish it this weekend - Lord willing and the creek don't rise again.   Ralph

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2013, 03:34:56 AM »
Beautiful piece!!
How much gold? must cost a fortune $$$...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2013, 04:24:16 AM »
Ralph - Needless to say I'm in awe over your work. 

Just throwing it out there.  If you are able to recover metals from electronic components I could likely make your day with old CPUs, cell phones, and the like.  I can't imagine a better repurpose.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
Thanks, Gents.  I wish I had a gold recovery system.  For this model I used some old class rings I had saved back for a special purpose.  This cast took 2.0 oz and yielded a piece weighing in at 1.54 oz.  I recovered .39 and lost .07.  A bit always sticks to the crucible, and some fileings along with some drilling chips, etc. couldn't be salvaged totaling about $39 -- the cost of doing this business.  At $1400 gold today, 1.54 oz of 10 kt is worth almost $900.  This is one way to multiply its value (some jewelry often sells at up to 10 X its material weight).  But if I don't sell it, I've turned its value into $0 ( in fact, I lost $39 and several day's work), and all I have to show for it is a nice small solid gold plane.  Oh well, I think that it is better to have than those ugly old class rings.  I am eager to see it finished -- pictures soon.   Ralph

Offline rusty

« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
I have been quietly following this thread. Every time I think, wow, that's the most awesome miniature I have seen, you go and post something else that makes me go ..wow!

>some drilling chips, etc
The most bizarre job we ever did was fixing a window at a gold casting plant, 4 security guards stood right behind us and watched everything we did, and a lady with a vacuum cleaner vacuumed up while we were drilling holes in the wall, on the off chance some tiny specs of gold might have settles on the wall. Another lady walked around in circles all day long vacuuming the floor over and over again.

Earlier you were melting vulcanized rubber, have you played with RTV silicones?
A nice lady I know used to make prototype jewelry and used the RTV rubber for wax casting of pewter...(direct, no lost wax)

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Hi Rusty.  Thanks for appreciating my work.  I used every means I could to recover every speck of gold, but haven't vacuumed the floor yet; it may eventually be worth doing.  I have heard of silicone molds and haven't worked with it yet but do believe that I'll try it - anything to make the job easier. 

The gold #4 is turning out beautifully.  Pictures soon.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
The Golg #4 is finished.   Ralph

Together the Gold #4 and the Silver #4 make quite a  pair.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:43:07 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »
 I have now seen the elephant!  Nobody ever pulled this off before, and in silver and gold no less!!
 Its historic.
        When we are dead and gone, these will be museum pieces.

About casting.............
Yes, according to several I know, silicone molds and injecting hard wax is definitely the way to go.

They also say (and loudly) that you cannot cast work at home with any particle of the speed and accuracy others will, and the price is not that bad either.
When you find the right company to work with.

Pal Hamler sez...... You send in your waxes, they send back the parts, you maybe ream bushing holes a little, minor polishing the flat parts,  brush them up, and put them out on the table for sale.
 They come back that finished.

Funny story about gold dust.  My friend Peter ran the large downtown jewelry store in Merbourne Au for years. The old central downtown location. He worked there for years and finally bought the place when the opportunity came. And then ran it for another 15-20 years.
 They were always hyper careful about gold of course. But 15 jeweler benches is a lot.

When he retired and moved to his home studio it was a last minute gamble whether it was worth it to have the store carpets pulled and refined.
 The charge for this was substantial whether anything was found or not.  It was quite a wager. He almost didn't do it.
 But at the last minute he did.

The report came in 2 weeks later, with a check...........
  $30,000
       yours Scott

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:33:49 AM by scottg »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
Thanks, Scott.  Your word is gospel for me.  The gold and silver elephants are complete and retired now.  I appreciate your analysis and your projections that they will out live us for posterity.

I learned the rubber mold method from an old master years ago, and it has served me well - difficult and complicated as it may be.  It may well be time for me to learn new methods and explore silacone procedures, but I don't have a special project just yet.  I think that I have reached the peak of my abilities and the limit of interest in my tool building and may now need another diversion - maybe fine jewelry, furniture, miniature engines, etc.

Do you know, off hand, who did Paul Hamler's casting or where I can have it done should I decide to "mass produce"?  Although, I really do enjoy the actual metal casting most.  But who knows where the interests will lead one next. 

Please stay in touch.   Ralph

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
 Ralph, my friend
  You have just hammered down a door others may not pass. You did the improbable, all alone and by the hardest way.   Now I think its time to let others in.

Colorado is conveniently located inbetween the largest tool shows of the nation in New England and Washington state. Several other states have pretty big shows too. Nearly every state has a tool show of some kind yearly.
  I am just one guy. And an old hillbilly hermit hippie at that. 
You have a whole nation out there waiting to meet you. Many terrifically interested, kind and generous people who would like to know you. You have the ability to cover your fare with ease, and thensome. 
There are so many things I simply cannot show you.

You have other "fellows" to meet too. This is a pretty small club, but you qualify....
 and you can carry your credentials in your pocket. :) 

Spread those wings. You earned them.
Its time
    yours Scott
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:18:11 PM by scottg »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »
Scott,

You are too kind.  And you are incredibly well informed, well connected and highly aware.  I have the greatest regard for you - your skill and vast knowledge about tools, people, places and events.  I turly appreciate your insight and perspective and the encouragement you have given me.  Surely I'll be back with something new as it happens.

Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
Saw a pic of this 1827 Knowles ( may be the earliest patented metal plane) and just had to build one.   Ralph

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:47:29 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
Another simple plane that I just had to build.  Turns out, this sleigh plane is just about the nicest working plane I've built yet.   Ralph

Roughed out

Finished with Bocote wood accent.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:41:24 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
Just finished one in brass with Rosewood that I fashioned from a pic on the net.   Ralph

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:23:28 AM by Art Rafael »