Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164083 times)

Offline Art Rafael

Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
A new "scrub plane" in progress.   So far, this might be the finest I've built yet.  It shaves clean, smooth and perfectly.  The tote and knob parts are next.  Ralph

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
In case some of you missed it, there were a few miniatures in the Brown Auction that Lewill2 posted. Here they are.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/johnsironsanctuary/embed/slideshow/Miniature%20Tools"></iframe>
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
Thanks.  I need more info on this. . . time, place, etc. please.   Ralph

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
It was November 2.
BROWN INTERNATIONAL TOOL AUCTION: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2; The 43rd International Antique Tool Auction
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
I have a prices realized list if you are interested in specific lots. Some were Paul Hamler miniatures and some were by other makers.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »
Thanks Les.

I would like to have more info on prices realized by several: small engine, vise, miniature metal tools, and others if you can.

Ralph

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »
Lot 422-Instrument Makers planes  - $209.05
Lot 423 - Mini Yankee Plow Plane- $73.45
Lot 424 - Mini Planes - $84.75
Lot 425 - Mini Planes - $33.90
Lot 426 - Mini Planes - $158.20
Lot 427 - Mini Planes - $62.15
Lot 428 - Paul Hamler Rosewood Slitting Gage - $361.60
Lot 429 - Paul Hamler Mayo Plow Plane - $762.75
Lot 430 - Paul Hamler Tidley Bevel Plane - $791.00
Lot 431 - Paul Hamler Sandusky Center Wheel Plow Plane - $706.25
Lot 432 - Paul Hamler Stanley 44 Plow Plane - $395.50
Lot 433 - Paul Hamler Sargent Lady Bug - $565.00
Lot 434 - Christopher Laarman Cast Bronze Mini - $565.00
Lot 435 - Barry Weaver Level - $508.50
Lot 436 - Barry Weaver Level - $536.75
Lot 444 - Miniature Vise - $169.50
Lot 448 Gas Engine - $384.20

Prices include 13% buyers premium
If you have any other specific lot numbers let me know.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
The scrub plane is finished.   Made of brass with Ebony tote and knob with a steel blade.   Ralph

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
Another beautiful looking piece. These are the kinds of things that one has to be able to see with his/her own eyes to really appreciate the workmanship.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Thanks Les.  Yes, and actually using one gives it another dimension.

Saw a pic of this little cutie on the net and just had to have one.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »
I liked this little plane so much just had to build another one, and I rarely build two of anything.  This one in brass with Rosewood accents, so it's a little different.  Ralph

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
  Sorry to have been away so long. A little heart problem.
 I'm back but maybe a little shaky.

So these latest little plerps are darling Ralph! I could eat them up with a spoon!! I love the racy styling and the lever caps are a major step up! The blade top decoration goes down real easy in my eyes too.

The scrub plane is extra scrumptious. That tote is rockin!  I love a little extra cushion for the pushin at the bottom. :) 

But I have to say the infills totally destroy me!!  Never thought I'd see hand cut miniature infills. As far as I know this is the first time anyone anywhere, ever, pulled this off. I am probably wrong and there might have been a few I never saw, but the list has got to be very very small indeed.
   Congratulations from the bottom of my heart!!
 OK that might be lousy. I'll pick a healthier body part next time heehehehheheheehe   

Question.......
  what is your average blade angle? Stanley were always 45degrees. Back though antiquity 45 was semi standard. 
 Most infills are either 47 1/2 or 50 to deal with figured wood. Harder to push but less tearout. 
  yours Scott

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »
Hey Scott,  It sure is good to hear from you.  I've been worried - even thought about asking the other guys on the forum if anyone knew anything about you or had cause for concern.  I feared what I might learn, but rightfully shuda asked anyway.  I do hope that you are doing better and that your prognosis is positive.  Good health makes everything else pale in importance.

I do believe that my hobbies are the medicine that give me purpose and direction, keeping me busy and promoting a sense of well being, though I've had some bouts and encounters with danger.  Please take care of yourself and make living the highest priority.

Thanks for your observations on my latest builds.  I really have been keeping busy in my "work shop" since in Colorado it's been so darned cold that one can't venture out much.  Ready or not winter is here, and it will be a long one, so guess I'm in for the season. 

Ya know, those infill - dove tail planes were quite a challenge (especially at 1/4 scale), but I had to do it when someone challenged me saying that they were not authentic with soldered butt joints and required dove tailing for authentic acceptance.  WOW!! What a challenge!  But I'd now say not as challenging as the "authentic " functional #4s miniatures that I had built earlier. 

Oh well, on to other things.  I've started a new miniature plane build. This one is an original design and will be different from my earlier builds. Up to now, I have attempted to produce a small copy / representation / simulation of full scale planes that I have seen (in "person" or in pictures). Since this is an "original" compilation of pieces and parts in my awareness, I'll call it a "Shoe Plane".    Ralph

Parts cut from flat stock brass.

Parts arranged in proximity

Pinned and silver soldered to form a unibody.

More as it develops.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
Sorry that I overlooked the question of blade angle on my planes.  I don't really have a standard angle, and don't measure anything.  I tend to work strictly by eye.  That is, I set the angle where it is pleasing to the eye and best accommodates the proportions of the plane.  On short squatty planes I tend to raise the angle, yet I have found that lower angles seem to shave better.  I guess that I generally find 45 degrees most appealing.  A t any rate, most of my planer turn out at about that.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
Some progress.   Ralph