Author Topic: My new project  (Read 5605 times)

Offline rustcollector

My new project
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
I'm not much of a restoration person, but I decided I am going to give this a try.  I bought it last weekend and other than being froze up almost solid and really rusty, it is complete. I will need a new handle and think I need to replace the wheel. Today I took off the fertilizer hopper and blasted every part of it. Came apart surprisingly easily. Just have to soak the gear mech. to free it up.

My intent is to do a true restoration, original colors and everything. Biggest problem is finding a picture with the original color scheme. I can tell it was mostly red, almost completely actually, but I am sure there was components of it that were different. Perhaps the wheel?

Going to use it as my attention getter out front at Canandaigua this August, with a price tag near $300 if I can get it done in time.

Offline rustcollector

Re: My new project
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
For those that don't know, it is a Deere & Mansur planter. Not sure of a model # or anything though.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
Does anybody happen to know the correct wrench for it too? I have many Deere Mansur wrenches, and many extras, going to put the correct one with it if I can.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
Hope it gets free'd up soon, almost time to plant sweet corn!  These were pulled by a single mule, so who gets to ride the Wheel Horse, and who gets to steer?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
You and I are cut from the same mold I think. I picked this Cole Mfg Co planter up in Mississippi yesterday.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »
You and I are cut from the same mold I think. I picked this Cole Mfg Co planter up in Mississippi yesterday.
I like that Cole too.
When the price is right, I think I will buy just about anything. Then put a Deere connection to it and I'm even more hooked.
I also picked up a Moline walking plow, and 2 Syracuse walking plows including a smaller one. The plows are quite a bit rougher, but not beyond help. For $20 each I had to do it. Also got a set of cultivator brackets for what I believe to be the Deere A tractors (have to do more checking on that one) that I now have no money into.
I went looking for good stuff for Canandaigua, think I did OK with what I found, but it's not going to stop me from searching for more.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »
I think it should be red with yellow wheel and jd green seed hopper. I have two of these and one of them had a trace of green paint on the hopper. The antique implement book shows this color scheme as well.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
I'll be looking for this in Canandaigua.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
I've got a lot of work to get done on it, but it is my main focus in what spare time I find. I was set up near the fence going into the steam show last year, and have the same spot this year plus one more spot next to it now too.

I think it should be red with yellow wheel and jd green seed hopper. I have two of these and one of them had a trace of green paint on the hopper. The antique implement book shows this color scheme as well.
I have found a lot of red paint on the seed hopper. I did a very light sand blast first, and it brought out a red tint to almost everything other than the wheel.So I am not sure at all yet. I hope I can do something with the handle, maybe some kind of linseed oil or something, once I get a replacement for the one side(maybe even both sides.)

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
I looked again at dads book and it has a color photo of the same planter. It shows it as all red with a green hopper. Who knows tho. Either way would be good enough.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
What book is it? I might have it, if I don't is there anyway you can post the picture? Scan it or something?

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Its a collector book on horse drawn machinery. Has a color section. The sulky two roe D&M planters were all red with yellow wheels. The one rows was red with a JD green hopper. Ill try to get a picture.

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
I'm not much of a restoration person, but I decided I am going to give this a try.  I bought it last weekend and other than being froze up almost solid and really rusty, it is complete. I will need a new handle and think I need to replace the wheel. Today I took off the fertilizer hopper and blasted every part of it. Came apart surprisingly easily. Just have to soak the gear mech. to free it up.

My intent is to do a true restoration, original colors and everything. Biggest problem is finding a picture with the original color scheme. I can tell it was mostly red, almost completely actually, but I am sure there was components of it that were different. Perhaps the wheel?

Going to use it as my attention getter out front at Canandaigua this August, with a price tag near $300 if I can get it done in time.
Hows the restoration going?
RooK E

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
This one is on hold, never found the correct color scheme. I have it all apart and cleaned, just ready to paint and put back together. I will not paint it until I am 100% sure of the colors though.

See the new thread I will be posting for the project we just worked on.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
Ill try to get you the picture I have out of dads magazine. PM me Wednesday and remind me!