Author Topic: From corn planter to corn sheller  (Read 3060 times)

Offline rustcollector

From corn planter to corn sheller
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »
As I just posted in the corn planter thread, that project is on hold.

However, I recently purchased a nice old wood floor model cornsheller at an auction. I had to buy it, they were stuck at $15 and that was to cheap no matter how grungy it was. I bought it for $20 and was a little unsure of it really was worth it. I will be taking it to Canandaigua next week it will have a price on it, but really taking it for show more than wanting to sell it.

Here are the befores.....

Offline rustcollector

Re: From corn planter to corn sheller
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
Here is after a cleaning....

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
And this is after a little linseed oil application....

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
Veeeeery cool. Id call that a wise investment.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
I had no clue that it was a local manufacturer when I got it. Nor an idea of the amount of writing I, actually the wife, would find on it after cleaning it. I really have no desire to sell it now, but if somebody is going to be willing to way overpay for it, they can own it next week. I'm still trying to find info on Springsteen & Jones, but so far not much luck. The inventor was Harmon Cornell and the patent is 233,733. About 5 miles from me is a road and little valley called Cornell Hollow which was named after a Cornell family, I'm thinking there may be some connection there, as the place and time frame would fit. Little treasures like this is what I live for, so cool to find things that you never expected to find.

I've debated on taking the metal off and cleaning it and painting. I just can't decide yet. I was thinking the wheel on the opposite side of the crank wheel(if that is the correct term) would look pretty good if it was black and the rim just inside had a gold trim to it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:00:54 PM by rustcollector »

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
1880's
Owego NY Tioga County Record

SPRINGSTEEN & JONES,. Manufacturer of CORN SHELLERS, DOG. POWERS, and various other agricultural implements.

Not much....

Very nice find :)
(I am finding I am more interested in local stuff lately, easier to relate the history I think)

Aug 22,1885
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:56:34 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
Interesting, now I have to go to the barn and check my sheller.  Note the Dog Powers, was a small treadmill for a dog to walk on, to give rotating power, B,E,,,, before electricity.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »
My vote on the metal is to do just like I do my wrenchs. Take all the metal off, clean it but not over clean it. Heat all the parts in an oven and spray with WD-40. Turns it dark brown and you leave it original all at the same time.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline bill300d

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
Nice job on that sheller rustcollector. I would be hard pressed to part with that too.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:46:51 AM »
Well, it seems $300 was not a crazy number. Didn't even get it off the truck before it sold. It's going to Michigan I guess, somebody that has 3 or 400 shellers. Sad to part with it but I am really trying to train myself that material things are just that and most everything they made more than 1 of. A $270 profit made it worth missing a day's work too. I know where there is another one just like it now too, I may go buy that one someday when it bettet fits my situation.