Author Topic: A long time search ended  (Read 2297 times)

Offline rustcollector

A long time search ended
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
I've collected farm implement wrenches for probably 12 or so years. I had one that topped by want list for about 9 of those years, now I'm up to 3 of that wrench. Always second on my list was the Gowanda wrench, for 2 reasons...1) it is a New York company 2) it is a neat looking wrench.
I finally saw one in person in Ohio about 3 years ago, in Dan Gaier's collection, he had a spare but neither of us really know what kind of value it has as none have been sold at the bigger auctions. So we didn't end up making a deal for it.

Then last week when I was going through the pictures of the lots I wanted to bid on at the Tired Iron auction, when I adjusted the color on one of the pictures I saw the tail end of the wrench. I kept searching the pictures for the lot but there was not a picture of the whole wrench. It was one of the better deals I got on my lots. The wrench is in great condition and now takes a prominent place in my collection. It may not be one of the higher dollar value wrenches out there, but to me it is close to priceless.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: A long time search ended
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »
Fancy looking wrench.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Just knowing the abuse those cast wrenches went through it is amazing to see the small jaws still intact.   More than half the ones I locate, in the wild, those jaws are broken.   Great find, nice to fill those holes.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »
You mention Dan Gaier, I had the pleasure of seeing his collection about 2 years ago. I was traveling from Indiana back to Eastern PA so I stopped in to see him and Dick Lawton in the same day. What a fantastic wrench filled day that was. More then you can comprehend in a single day.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
I have not had the pleasure to meet Dick Lawton yet. Hopefully in the next few years I can start going out and about and meeting more of these people.  I will say Dan Gaier and his wife are both just outstanding people, I had so much fun looking at all his stuff.

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
They are both great guys that enjoy sharing their love of wrench collecting to anyone that shares the intrest. It amazes me the information they can tell you about their vast collections without looking at any of their reference material. I can't retain all the details. I have to write my reasearch down in my lists about each wrench.

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »
Congratulations RC on finally getting a long sought tool!
Hold Fast

David