Author Topic: 26 inch "NORLUND TOMAHAWK AXE"  (Read 25109 times)

lzenglish

26 inch "NORLUND TOMAHAWK AXE"
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Another estate sale find. As you can see, it has a cracked handle, but only light superfical rust, and a Very Sharp Blade. I had never heard of this particular Company before, but after researching it, I believe it was well worth the 5 bucks I paid for it. Probably made in the early 1960's, and will be put to good use after I re-handle it.

Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: 26 inch "NORLUND TOMAHAWK AXE"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »
That's a good deal!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »
If I remember my fathers advice right Norlund is a quality tool.

Offline RLT

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:04 AM »
Norlunds were very nice tools. One of my paperwood cutting grandfathers favorites.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
Five bucks is a very good price!  I recently saw a Norlund hatchet at my favorite junk store (s-k sockets at 25 cents, Williams 705 for 50 cents).  He had the Norlund up for $35, and it was gone the next time I went there. 

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
 When its not made by Norlund, that is the Hudson Bay pattern axe. Every ax company made them, very popular.
 It takes a small handle compared to full sized (26", or a "boys ax" sized handle).
 It was primarily for trekking, trimming and assorted light duty where a lightweight ax excells.

When shopping for a handle, there are 8 grades of each pattern available. 8 grades! 
  The grain should be dead straight end to end and closely set. Knots or even the suggestion of a knot is totally unacceptable.
 The lines should be completely parallel to the eye, looking from the end.  It should be snow white, well curved with a fully formed, pudgy fat fawns foot on the end of it.   
  This would be the #1 grade.

Average selection in a good hardware is going to be 3 to 4.  In a borg box store, 5 to 6's at best. 
But I found a #2 in my local hardware store slipped in with the dreck.
 So they are out there. 

Stay well away from grain running out off the side of the handle anywhere.  Streaks or portions of dark heartwood in part of the handle, yuck.
  And personally I wouldn't touch a handle with no foot at all on it like so many are now. When you see no swelled foot you know for sure the handle was sawed out from a flat plank of ordinary lumber. This is an "artists conception" of a proper handle and they are betting you don't know any better.

You don't have to have #1 to get decent service, but you sure don't want a #8!
  yours Scott

lzenglish

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the Great Info. Scott! That is the kind of Tip that is drawn from experience, of which I have very little with Axes. When I pick out a handle, I will use your advice.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:03:05 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
More information can be found on Tom Lamond's Site "Yesteryears Tools":

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Norlund%20Co..html

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
Five bucks seams like a good deal to me

Nice find.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

lzenglish

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
I found the little brother to my Tomakawk Axe last weekend. 2 bucks, and the handle is NOT cracked, which is a rare find for me. This one appears to be the "Voyager" model, and originaly had a 17 inch handle, as per "Yesteryears tool site".

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:53:13 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
Norland is a highly collectable name, I've found recently.  Norlands command some pretty steep prices on eBay and elsewhere.  Five bucks is a decent price for any working ax head. 

I like the shape.  It's very useful and cuts well.  I handled up one years ago with an even shorter handle, barely long enough to be considered an ax, and kept it in my pickup as a cruising ax.  Very good for quick work and especially good for making kindling.

lzenglish

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
Norland is a highly collectable name, I've found recently.  Norlands command some pretty steep prices on eBay and elsewhere.  Five bucks is a decent price for any working ax head. 

Thanks for taking the time, and common courtesy to respond Branson! Hard to find this now days! I did not create a new post for this little 17 inch "Voyager" Hatchet ", because I though that maybe I was "Over Posting", if that is possible. Actually this one was 2 dollars, verses the 5 dollars for the 26 inch tomahawk axe. What it all boils down to (for me at least), is that these treasures are our History, and they "Ain't" making them anymore, are they? I love the lines to them as well, and again appreciate you taking the time to comment on it!

Thanks Again,

Wayne

Offline rusty

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »

Post away!

God knows I waste enough bandwidth, no reason you shouldn't waste some....

Besides, the posting volume still isn't a half what it was on the old site yet....

Plus, you always post interesting things, I always read your posts, even if I don't have anything partcularly usefull to add...
Never assume you posted a dud just because no one replies to it, it is surprising when you look at the stats sometimes how many people look at a post that seems to have no responses...

Besides, we have lost *so much* archival material, every little bit added to the forum helps someone, in some way, at some point....

2c
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
Post as much as you like! We don't have much fluff around here, almost everything is good content, and that is what drives a forum. Don't be concerned about post count either, it is not a contest.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
Wayne, axes and hatchets are one of my real soft spots.  I love 'em.  Got a bunch of them.  And I really like the pattern of the Norlund.  It just might be my favorite general ax type. 

It also happens to be very like the traditional ax and hatchet pattern used by the Hills Peoples of Laos.  They, of course, smith out their own.  I've used these and have been much taken with them.  In fact, I have two hatchet sized Hills Peoples' axes.  One was made in Laos by a Mien smith, and the other was made here in the States by a Hmong blacksmith.  The last one was made expressly for me, and is exceptionally pretty (I'll see if I can get a picture).   They are made to really work, with no more effort than is absolutely necessary -- these folks cut their fields out of the rain forest, and that's  a lot of work. 

And I'd like to second Rusty.  I always read your posts -- you do always post interesting things, and have a knack for stumbling across good stuff.