Author Topic: Radio Lectric  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Northwoods

Radio Lectric
« on: March 24, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
Anyone here know of the Radio Lectric brand?
I came home with two handfuls of goodies yesterday--including a Radio Lectric No. 465 reamer.  Eight inches long; wooden screwdriver type handle with slight red tint; four inch blade (not sharp, at all) 3/8" near the handle, tapering to a point. The brand name has a lightning bolt/spark jagged line between Radio and Lectric.
I found its picture on ebay and got a hint somewhere of a Bridgeport connection.
Does it have anything at all to do with radios or electricity?  Frankly, I doubt it, but I am open to about anything.
What needs a 3/8" hole to be reamed? 
Cheese?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Rare-Vtg-Radio-Lectric-Reamer-w-Wooden-Handle-465-/301864373883?hash=item464884ce7b:g:Km8AAOSwJb9Wslon
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: Radio Lectric
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »
Back in the ancient world, there were radios built using things called tubes that plugged into sockets and electricity made them glow like light bulbs.

The radio itself plugged into the back end of a dinosaur and another little connection was on the back for an antenna that glued to the dinosaur's nose with pitch from a pine tree.

Many people built these contraptions in large factories, and some really strange people built superhetrodyne radios in their caves they called homes.

Occasionally the hole in the steel chassi that held all the components like tubes and tuning capacitors and dials and string and wires wasn't properly sized for the bolt or rivet that held the assembly together.  Rather than sending the chassi back to the herbivor who acted like a punch press for hole rework, a simple reamer was used to enlarge the hole.

And

THAT'S THE WHOLE TRUTH
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »
Shakes head violently and blinks twice....
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 01:06:32 PM »
THAT'S THE HOLE TRUTH
Fixed it for ya.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »
I've got a set of small stamped wrenches in a leather "pocket" that is RadioLectric -- embossed on the leather & stamped on the wrenches. The mark  includes the BHM logo.  There is also a RadioLectric No. 490 nut driver set (one handle, 4 sockets).  Shown on pgs 16-17 of the March 2006 MVWC Newsletter.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »
Excellent!
I've got a set of small stamped wrenches in a leather "pocket" that is RadioLectric -- embossed on the leather & stamped on the wrenches. The mark  includes the BHM logo.  There is also a RadioLectric No. 490 nut driver set (one handle, 4 sockets).  Shown on pgs 16-17 of the March 2006 MVWC Newsletter.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
I have a reprinted 1925 Bridgeport Hardware Mfg. Corp. catalog.  It includes RadioLectric brand tools.

Here is what the catalog cut says about the reamer:

An indispensable tool in radio work.  For enlarging drilled holes to the proper size.  Operates perfectly on bakelite, hard rubber, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:48:15 PM by wvtools »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »
Aunt Phil rules!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline leslimed

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »
Ugh, I know there are still a lot of people who believe it's impossible to save energy and that any instrument that claims to do so is a scam that will waste even more energy. However, things are not so straightforward here! Simply Switch just published an article that I found fascinating. Although the gadget mentioned above may not be as successful as it claims to be, there are still ways to save energy. They can make everything for you if you are too busy and don't have time. Obviously, you will have to pay a fee, but it will be insignificant in comparison to the amount of money you will save!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:41:12 AM by leslimed »