Author Topic: Big Pierce Arrow wrench, made by Fairmount  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Big Pierce Arrow wrench, made by Fairmount
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
I bought this wrench because of its Pierce Arrow logo stamp, its unusual configuration, and its low price.  The open end is 3 3/4 inches wide.  The closed hexagonal end is 1 1/2 inches across.  the wrench is just under 11 inches in length.

The wrench's steel is 1/8 inch thick, and the openings have 3/16 inch lips on the underside.  This wrench was designed to hold up, and not be distorted by use.

I would like to have some automotive expert opinions on the specific applications for this wrench.  Was the large end used on a Pierce truck's or automobile's exhaust manifold, or on one these vehicle's hub caps?  Did the smaller end tighten a gas cap nut, or something else?

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline BRwrench

• Ohio
Re: Big Pierce Arrow wrench, made by Fairmount
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
My guess is large end for hub cap and other end for spindle nut.

Offline strik9

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
For tightening the packing in the water pump shaft?
    Just another WAG but it is a common use for big, short wrenches.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
about the same apparent size as the leftmost wrench in the toolkit in this photo: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=198.0
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
The wrench came with Pierce Arrow Models 80 and 81 from 1924 thru 1928. The big end was for the hubcaps. Don't know about the small end.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »
Bus:

Thanks for the information on the OE end of this wrench.  The thought about the closed end of the wrench being used for a gas cap derives from Jay Leno's description of a White 909 M wrench which he gave me.  He said his 1909 White Steam car has a threaded gas cap that is opened by using the OE of the White 909 M wrench.  The White 909M wrench's OE is 2 inches wide vs. the 1 1/2 inch width of the Pierce Arrow wrench's closed end.  It seems to me that my first cars from the late 1940s also had fill 1 1/2 inch pipe diameters.  Were gasoline fill pipe diameters standardized some time between 1909 and 1928?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:47:29 PM by Wrenchmensch »