Author Topic: saw and level  (Read 6771 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
saw and level
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
  The smaller saw appealed to me at Mon auction so I risked a $1 bid. The larger saw and the level were part of the lot.  The level turned out to be a Stanley #0 cherry level and cleaned up fairly nicely. I know the purists will reprimand me for polishing the brass,but I like shiny brass. The small saw is just a 12 point warranted superior which is not valuable but I liked the size and the handle design. Turns out the handle is a little small for my hand but don't plan to use it so no great loss. Larger saw has split nuts and is undoubtedly older of the two but it is (warranted superior) and probably has little value outside the hardware. Just an example of the collateral item being more desirable than the original target.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Re: saw and level
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
 heres pic of saw nuts on larger saw. Too big for original post
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
How long is the small saw's blade????
 I collect little saws. Its interesting
  yours Scott

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
 Scott, Saw is 21 3/4 from tip of handle to end of blade.
                                                                  Jim
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
Sorry Jim
  I meant the edge of the saw along the cutting blade.
 Guessing here, a 16"? or an 18"?

Your saw was made by Disston for sure, probably for someone else's house brand. (Simmons or Sears or someone in the hardware business making a big enough to order custom design.
  This is why the Warren and Ted medallion. The saw would have been etched with the dealers name.

I wonder if its an apple handle?? Its probably beech as most private order saws were (not wanting to pay extra for apple).   But I have  Keen Kutter that has an apple tote, so anything it possible .   

What is most interesting is that its a swayback saw with a #12 handle on it. Marked Disston #12's were always straight back with a nib.

While no hardware brand saw is ever equal to the real manufacturer model in collector value, this one is still very interesting.

Edit: oh wait, I just saw the closeup of the tote. It is definitely beech and of course has a chip to the torn, but its still carved as a #12 and still interesting to me.
    yours Scott

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:13:02 AM by scottg »

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
  ITS A 18 INCH BLADE
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench