Author Topic: Need Vise Opinions  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Crowvet

Need Vise Opinions
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Hello, I am new here, Hope this is in the right forum. I have an auto repair shop and I need a new swivel vise. 5 or 6 inch works well for me. I cannot seem to find a reasonably priced vice that holds up. I mainly use it for installing u-joints, wheel bearings ect. Last one was bought from Matco.... Lasted 3 years. Any ideas or advice on a good quality vise? Thanks and happy to be here.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Need Vise Opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »
No vise made will press crusty old u-joints forever.   Not unless you find a giant old Wilton, Columbian, Reed or Parker. Something in the 150-200 pound range.
   Not easy to find or cheap to buy as a rule,
 and still may not take the worst duty if you are in the rust belt.

You actually need a hydraulic shop press. 30 ton or so.
 The air over hydraulic are preferred. But you can hand pump if you have to.
        I know you already know this. Just agreeing with you. :)

Go to craiglist and don't kiss the first frog you meet. ;^)
 yours Scott

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:59:00 AM by scottg »

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:20:31 AM »
Don't rule out a Rock Island vise.  I have one with 8" jaws from the '20s that has stood the test of oil field hands.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Crowvet

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
I should clarify a little.. I am not pressing the u-joints with the vise, I have a press and I use a C-clamp style u-joint tool by OTC.. I am mainly holding the driveline in place. Of course I am doing some pounding in the vise too, but not really using it as a press.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »
I bought cheap vices from big box stores and have regretted wasting the money. I then paid a pretty penny for a old wilton bullet vice off craigslist. I am happy I spent the money, on my wilton.

My recommendation is to look on craigslist for a used vice from one of the manufactures scottg and oilyrascal said. Those are all good vices. A new vice can run you upward of a grand and sometimes way more. If you have the time wait for a good deal on craigslist. There is always ebay but any good size vice is going to be very expensive to ship to the point its probably unreasonable. If are interested buy a vice that needs some work an fix it up. Theres a thread on garage journal about how to restore vices.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
I should clarify a little.. I am not pressing the u-joints with the vise, I have a press

Oh, OK
 Then look for a most any vintage vise over 75 pounds, with a long beam. There are a lot of makers at that size range. And you can have 4 of them for what you paid off a tool truck.

Any time you see a long beam sticking out the back of the frame? You know it not only opens further than most, it is also a high quality vise. Nobody ever put long beams on poor quality vises.

All the the modern vises have ridiculous short little beams. Barely open as wide as the jaws are.
The good ones open more.

Wilton bullets are very popular. Even a 4" bullet will hold up better than some 5" vises. But they are seldom ever cheap.

You could just tell us where you are, and we can comb craigslist for candidates for you?
Or comb them yourself and post pictures for appraisal?
  All decent vises have moved to craigslist, btw.
 Unless you Canadian, then its Kijiji
           yours Scott

Offline Crowvet

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
I should clarify a little.. I am not pressing the u-joints with the vise, I have a press

Oh, OK
 Then look for a most any vintage vise over 75 pounds, with a long beam. There are a lot of makers at that size range. And you can have 4 of them for what you paid off a tool truck.

Any time you see a long beam sticking out the back of the frame? You know it not only opens further than most, it is also a high quality vise. Nobody ever put long beams on poor quality vises.

All the the modern vises have ridiculous short little beams. Barely open as wide as the jaws are.
The good ones open more.

Wilton bullets are very popular. Even a 4" bullet will hold up better than some 5" vises. But they are seldom ever cheap.

You could just tell us where you are, and we can comb craigslist for candidates for you?
Or comb them yourself and post pictures for appraisal?
  All decent vises have moved to craigslist, btw.
 Unless you Canadian, then its Kijiji
           yours Scott
I am in Eugene Oregon. I will keep searching Craigslist, I do it daily anyhow (you guys should see the wood chipper I scored) But If any of you see one ? YES please let me know. Thanks Scott  I think I have a better idea what I am looking for now. Sounds like bullet is the way to go?

Offline Crowvet

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
Are these any good? on craigslist now
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/4086004216.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:52:35 PM by Crowvet »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:01:12 PM »
Somebody may jump in and say that is a great one, but, the screw diameter is too small for the mass of the vise.   The beam protruding from the rear is very short, and the vise has cast reinforcing ribs.    Trying to make it tougher for its size?   Also it is sitting on a plastic bucket.   I'd be looking at a vise that would crush a plastic bucket.  For hammering one needs bulk, and weight.   The price isn't horrible, but not for me.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Crowvet

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »
Somebody may jump in and say that is a great one, but, the screw diameter is too small for the mass of the vise.   The beam protruding from the rear is very short, and the vise has cast reinforcing ribs.    Trying to make it tougher for its size?   Also it is sitting on a plastic bucket.   I'd be looking at a vise that would crush a plastic bucket.  For hammering one needs bulk, and weight.   The price isn't horrible, but not for me.
I see what you mean on the beam and screw size. Thanks for pointing that out.... I will keep looking, I have nothing but time.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »
Reed, Columbian, Parker all made great vises.
 Prentiss of NY is the most elegant of any.

I have a big Wilton bullet. (about 150 pounds) I love it.
 But I'd trade it for a bigger Prentiss (200+) in a heartbeat.

You buy your vises by the pound partner. By the pound.
 If you can pick it up, you don't want it.
     yours Scott