Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 325117 times)

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
My wife and I will be moving in the not to distant future so I have started packing up my collection. I'm at 118 boxes and have about another 40 or so to go. It will be a while before I have it all out on display again but when that happens I'll post more pictures. One problem I'm having is finding suitable sturdy boxes long enough to fit the longer planes,handsaws,breast drills etc. A bigger problem may be finding some young strong guys to help me getting it all upstairs and onto a truck or trailer.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
Wow!!!!  That's really a "hoard." 150+ boxes of old tools?!?!? I hope you're not downsizing.  As for sturdy moving containers, I've found that "banker" style cardboard boxes work well.  They're long enough to accommodate an average length jointer (22" - 24") and they're strong enough to hold a lot of paper, which can be heavy.  They're actually designed to hold several reams of paper.  I also like them because they have hand holds cut into their sides for easier lifting.  Good luck with your move and thanks again for keeping up with the thread.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #542 on: February 10, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Banana boxes and tomato boxes from your local supermarket also work well.  Best of all they're free!!

Just ask in the produce department.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #543 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the info on the boxes. I have been after produce boxes but today at Costco all I found were 2 boxes and these produce boxes tend to not have lids. I don't know if I've ever seen a bankers box but I'll pursue that lead.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #544 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
Banker boxes usually have lids.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:39:40 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Hey gibson,

I took a look at a typical Bankers Box here at work.  The inside dimensions of the boxes are 24.25" long, 12" wide and 9.75" high.  We dump a lot of paper, records, and other stuff into these type of boxes all the time and they seem to hold up.  They're sturdy and they're durable.  The lids fit snuggly and the pre-cut hand holds on the sides don't tear, making them a lot easier to lift.  They also stack nicely.  I really think this type of box would work for well for your application.  I'll post a few pictures this evening.  Please check back here tonight.

Jim C.

(If you have some time today, maybe you can check out this web site..... www.bankersbox.com)     
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:07:11 AM by Jim C. »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Wasn't sure what you meant by Bankers boxes until I looked at your link. We used many of these when we were in business and up here we must maintain company records for a period of 7 years so I have been saving the empty boxes when ever we shred the paper but all we ever used was the smaller ones which are now full of tools I just referred to them as file boxes and didn't know the proper name, and didn't realize that they came in different sizes. My wife looked after that aspect of the business and she kind of laughed at me when I asked her about bankers boxes as she knew all about them.The length is still shy of what I need for some items but I lucked out at Costco this morning and managed to fill the cab of truck with boxes all 22' or longer. Probably still not enough but I'm getting closer day by day. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »
Wasn't sure what you meant by Bankers boxes until I looked at your link. We used many of these when we were in business and up here we must maintain company records for a period of 7 years so I have been saving the empty boxes when ever we shred the paper but all we ever used was the smaller ones which are now full of tools I just referred to them as file boxes and didn't know the proper name, and didn't realize that they came in different sizes. My wife looked after that aspect of the business and she kind of laughed at me when I asked her about bankers boxes as she knew all about them.The length is still shy of what I need for some items but I lucked out at Costco this morning and managed to fill the cab of truck with boxes all 22' or longer. Probably still not enough but I'm getting closer day by day. Thanks for the input guys.

Hi gibson,

It sounds like you have things under control.  Still, for those who may not have gotten around to checking out the link above, here's a few photos of a "bankers box" as promised.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:36:58 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Branson

« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2015, 07:03:49 AM »
I can't recall ever seeing a block plane with a pressure cap lever that is located beneath the cap itself.  No doubt it's a unique little plane for sure.
Jim C.

Look what just showed up this morning on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-UNION-TOOL-COMPANY-WOOD-PLANE-LOW-ANGLE-BLOCK-PLANE-WITH-ADJUSTABLE-THROAT-/291379934173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d798f3dd

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
That is a decent price for what may be fairly rare plane. I considered bidding but I think it's time to back off a bit at least until our move is complete and we're settled in. I think his shipping costs are a little out of line

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #550 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing a block plane with a pressure cap lever that is located beneath the cap itself.  No doubt it's a unique little plane for sure.
Jim C.

Look what just showed up this morning on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-UNION-TOOL-COMPANY-WOOD-PLANE-LOW-ANGLE-BLOCK-PLANE-WITH-ADJUSTABLE-THROAT-/291379934173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d798f3dd

Hey Branson,

That little Union block plane looks familiar!  Right?  I was hoping that the seller would have included some information about it, like its model number, approximate dates of production, etc.  I don't really buy too many hand planes from Ebay.  There have been a few, but usually I buy from sellers that I know and have done business with in the past.  For the most part, I really like to closely examine a plane, even a "user" before I buy it.  If I'm planning to use it, then it has to feel good in my hand, and the parts have to be present and undamaged.  Even a common plane that's missing parts or doesn't function properly can be a hassle to deal with.  Mostly, I'm insane about looking for tiny cracks and/or hard to see damage.  If I'm buying something for my collection, then I MUST physically see the plane and hold it in my hands first.  There was one Ebay seller that I had gotten to know over time, and consequently bought several planes from him without physically holding them first.  His stuff was top quality and he offered a no questions asked return policy.  I never had a problem.  Then, a few years ago, he lost interest in Stanley and sold everything he had.  I think he got hooked on high end wooden plow planes.  Anyway, I'm gonna have to start trolling on Ebay again.  It looks like there's still some good planes to be had.

Jim C.       

Offline Branson

Re: Union block plane
« Reply #551 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, we hadn't heard of a Union block plane, but now there is a later model on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-OLD-VINTAGE-WOODWORKING-TOOLS-RARE-UNION-BLOCK-PLANE-NICE-SHAPE-/351318189500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cc3225bc

It has the same under-lever, but this one has an adjustment to open the throat.  If nobody else is interested, I might toss a bid on this one.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:46:01 AM by Branson »

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #552 on: February 13, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
Jim,
Another great source for boxes is your local printer. They are glad to get rid of them because they empty many of them every day. They have lids like the bankers boxes and if the contents are heavy, just put a lid on the bottom.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #553 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
Good thought John, Thank you, I have a good friend who has a print shop, I'll give him a call today.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #554 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
Stanley #50 (part 2):

The #50 is far from being Stanley’s most complex plane.  Actually, I think it’s a user friendly plane and is relatively easy to set up and operate without too much fuss.  If I had to pick only one plow plane that was capable of creating accurate grooves, dados, rabbets and beads, I’d give the #50 some serious consideration.  It’s compact, light weight but durable, and straight forward in comparison to a few other Stanley offerings.  Over the years, it was outfitted with a sufficient assortment of cutters that allowed any craftsperson the ability to make a few basic joints without the expense, weight and complexity associated with some other plow and/or combination planes.  The major drawback to this plane is the unavoidable fact that it was equipped with several small parts and cutters that often go missing in action, and can be expensive to replace.  Know what parts and cutters were with the plane when it left the factory and make sure they’re all present and accounted for prior to making a purchase.   The #50 is frequently missing the chip deflector (used while creating a tongue and groove joint) and the screw used to hold narrow (specifically 1/8” and 3/16” wide) cutters in place.   Do your homework.

In this post, I’ll try to show you the #50 as it would be set up to cut basic dados and grooves.  The plane incorporates several features that we’ve discussed on other planes to include a fence, scoring spurs (nickers), depth stop, and a lever used to advance or retract a cutter from the work piece.  One part that we haven’t covered in the past, because it hasn’t been integral to any planes discussed in prior posts, is the cast iron “sliding section” that runs on the two arms that thread into the main body of the plane.  The sliding section is mounted on the arms between the fence on the left and the main body of the plane on the right.  When cutting dados and grooves, the sliding section sandwiches the cutter between the plane’s main body and the sliding section itself.  I’ve found it to be an effective way to hold the cutter firmly in place, while still being able to adjust the cutter with the cutter lever.  This sliding section incorporates a threaded stud that passes through the main body, and is drawn together, thus sandwiching the cutter in place, via a unique looking wing nut/thumb screw.  This method works for every cutter except the two narrowest (1/8” and 3/16”) as mentioned above.  (Also note that the narrow cutters were included with the #50 beginning in 1936.) Because the sliding section cannot be drawn close enough to the body of the plane to secure the cutters, a special screw was designed to hold them in place.  Years later, many examples of the #50 are commonly missing that screw.

When attempting to cut a dado across the grain of a work piece, the #50 allows the user to install spurs just ahead of the cutter.  One such spur mounts directly to the main body of the plane, while the other mounts to the sliding section.  A well conceived design feature in my opinion.  When cutting a groove with the grain, the fence would guide the plane as it was pressed against the edge of the work piece.  There's no need to employ the spurs.  For a dado cutting across the grain, a thin wooden batten tacked in place would substitute as the fence and the spurs would be installed to prevent any tearout from the cutter.  The #50 is also outfitted with a depth stop that can be attached to the plane’s main body, or its sliding section.  Finally, with the addition of the two narrow cutters in 1936, Stanley also added a small toothed cutter adjustment lever to the plane’s design.  The little teeth on the lever engaged perpendicular grooves on the back of each cutter, allowing the user to advance or retract the cutter.   Don’t be fooled when looking at a #50…. If the plane is equipped with that little toothed lever, make sure that the included cutters also have grooves on their backs, otherwise they’re useless and cannot be used without removing the lever. 

I guess that’s it for now.  Thanks for hanging in there.  I was thinking about adding one more post pertaining to the Stanley #50.  If you’ve had enough of this one, don’t be afraid to speak up and I’ll move on to another topic.  We still have a good ways to go and several more planes and plane related topics to discuss.  And as always, feedback (positive and/or constructively negative) is more than welcome.  Also, if you have a plane to feature here in the Hand Plane thread, don't let me slow you down.  Post a few photos and let's see what you have. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:55:53 AM by Jim C. »