Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321380 times)

Offline Art Rafael

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
Now that is a beauty.  I think that I need one of those - miniature, of course.   Ralph

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
Now that is a beauty.  I think that I need one of those - miniature, of course.   Ralph

That would be really awesome to see Ralph, and you're just the man to make it happen!  If you need actual dimensions to get the scale correct, just let me know.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:53 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  I think that I've almost got it from the pics you've posted.  But knowing the width and seeing the bottom of the blade would help.  I assume that the blade has a notch or two on the under side to allow for adjusting?  Not sure how to do that.  I'll study it some.   Ralph

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Hi Ralph,

I took a few more pictures of the cutting iron adjustment detail and a few more measurements.  The overall length of the plane is 6 3/8".  The width is 1 3/4".  The actual length of the blade is 3 11/16".  The blade has only been honed and rarely used, so that's pretty much its original length.  The length of the cutting iron bed/ramp is 3 1/16".  Any other details/measurements you need don't hesitate to ask.  I'm not sure how much information you want, so just let me know.

Jim C.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  Got it.  Now I just need to get to it.   Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
I've got a good start on the miniature chisel plane, but have been bogged down several times.  This sweet little plane has some features that I have not encountered before, and trial and much error have prevailed.  The body was difficult enough with that 12 degree angle swoop which complicated the installation of the adjusting knob threaded shaft AND the placement of the lever cap bolt.  But creating a blade was a project all its own.  I cut steel strips from an old used circular saw blade with an industrial grinder and suspected immediately that cutting the key hole and the notch on the under side was going to be a trick.  Nothing I have would drill through nor even mark it.  The notch was all but impossible.  After I annealed it, drilling and cutting a notch became possible, yet difficult.  Next the lever cap and knob.  Then hardening and sharpening the blade, and smooth filing, sanding, buffing and polishing all around.   Ralph

Offline rusty

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
Typical hardness of saw blade steel is around 60, titanium drill bits around 63.....chuckle...
Looking good ....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
I've got a good start on the miniature chisel plane, but have been bogged down several times.  This sweet little plane has some features that I have not encountered before, and trial and much error have prevailed.  The body was difficult enough with that 12 degree angle swoop which complicated the installation of the adjusting knob threaded shaft AND the placement of the lever cap bolt.  But creating a blade was a project all its own.  I cut steel strips from an old used circular saw blade with an industrial grinder and suspected immediately that cutting the key hole and the notch on the under side was going to be a trick.  Nothing I have would drill through nor even mark it.  The notch was all but impossible.  After I annealed it, drilling and cutting a notch became possible, yet difficult.  Next the lever cap and knob.  Then hardening and sharpening the blade, and smooth filing, sanding, buffing and polishing all around.   Ralph

Looking really good Ralph!! You're right on track and doing some amazing work as usual!!  If you need more photos or measurements, just let me know.  I'm very happy to help you in any way that I can.

Jim C.

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »
Thanks, Rusty.  If I had known that it couldn't be done ( with the tools and equipment I have), I wouldn't have tried.  Sometimes my ignorant tenacious disposition allows me to do things that I didn't know were impossible. 

Thanks again Jim C.  I'm well on the way.   Ralph
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:06:58 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
Jim C., I did not mean to hijack your string, but that's where I got the idea for my latest project.  The chisel plane may not be all that useful in the shop, but the miniature made for a nice model.   Ralph

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »
Another little master piece. Great job as usual Ralph.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
Jim C., I did not mean to hijack your string, but that's where I got the idea for my latest project.  The chisel plane may not be all that useful in the shop, but the miniature made for a nice model.   Ralph

Hi Ralph!  Your miniature model of the chisel plane turned out FANTASTIC to say the least!  No problem jumping into the thread.  It's not just limited to MY enjoyment of hand planes.  I really started the thread to talk about EVERYONE's enjoyment of these particular woodworking tools.... Old, new, large, small, mass produced, one of a kind, wood, metal... whatever!!  I think it's GREAT to see shop made planes by the members of this site.  As a matter of fact, I'm very happy that you included your latest creation in this thread.  I think everyone who comes to this forum appreciates your work and your artistry.  Well done!  As for the usefulness of chisel planes in general, they have their place in the shop.  To date, I haven't found that one task that it, and only it, can accomplish..... but one never knows.  Anyway, amazing work Ralph!  Thanks for featuring your chisel plane in this thread.

Jim C.   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:23:21 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
Ralph,

Is that sterling also?

Larry

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
Thanks, Jim C. for giving me the idea and for appreciating my work.  The first thing you wrote in this thread was, "I like hand planes."  It appealed to me instantly and to many others as evidenced by the response to the thread.  I too like planes and have learned much from this publication.    Ralph

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
Thanks Ralph.  I'm glad that you were inspired.  Somewhere along the way, I said I'd try to keep the thread interesting too.  Well, your work is always VERY interesting every time!  As for the content I occasionally add, well, it's a little more hit or miss.  I can't always tell if the posts are good reading or just blah, blah, blah.  I still have more hand planes to add to the thread so hopefully there will be something that will also ignite someone else's interest for whatever reason.  I'm really glad that the Lie-Nielsen #97 1/2 chisel plane post motivated you.  I have a few more Lie-Nielsen planes coming, so stay tuned.

Jim C.