Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 325458 times)

Offline Navaja

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #1260 on: February 08, 2024, 06:58:52 PM »

I've very much enjoyed picking through this thread over time, I'm going to attempt to read it all... 👍. I have a quite a few planes that I use, nothing particularly interesting though.

But here's a recent find & a first post in this thread to make you all cringe 😄

Well I knew I couldn't make it pristine but thought I'd have a go at making it a user. 

Still some pitting as they were very deep, I hogged the worst off with 24 grit down to 240 but didn't get too concerned about the finish for obvious reasons, it's never going to be a collectors piece!
   Luckily the frog area & lower portion of the iron were rust free, a tiny bit on the edge stoned off so I'm looking forward to putting it to work now.

Offline amecks

« Reply #1261 on: February 08, 2024, 07:04:31 PM »
Nice job!  What make is it and how old is it?
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1262 on: February 08, 2024, 07:16:12 PM »
Nice job!  What make is it and how old is it?
Al

Thanks.   
   It's a Lie Nielsen 9 1/2 that's no longer made, I don't know when it was discontinued & don't know how old this one is. I found it at a sale with little info.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #1263 on: February 09, 2024, 12:31:26 PM »
Good job recovering that one!

Offline geneg

« Reply #1264 on: February 09, 2024, 05:30:14 PM »
Great job.  Amazing that the knurls, threads, & screw slots came out so well.  The rusty stuff I find has usually been abused with vise grips & ill fitting screwdrivers.  Your's must have laid on a basement floor or in the bottom of a wet tool box & been forgotten.  Rub some Johnson's paste wax across the bottom to fill in the speed holes.  You turned a piece of trash into a user.

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1265 on: February 09, 2024, 07:10:15 PM »
Great job.  Amazing that the knurls, threads, & screw slots came out so well.  The rusty stuff I find has usually been abused with vise grips & ill fitting screwdrivers.  Your's must have laid on a basement floor or in the bottom of a wet tool box & been forgotten.  Rub some Johnson's paste wax across the bottom to fill in the speed holes.  You turned a piece of trash into a user.

The knurled adjustment wheel is stainless steel so didn't corrode as badly as the iron body, it cleaned up pretty well with a wire wheel.  The thread & screw is brass so that suffered only from verdigris that cleaned off same as the other brass parts. 
   It must have been somewhere damp for quite some time, the pitting on the body was very deep to the extent I did wonder whether I could save it or not.    It does still have pits but nothing that should interfere too much in use, & yes regarding the wax, thanks.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #1266 on: February 10, 2024, 11:16:13 AM »
You know how Stanley developed the corrugated sole for bench planes, arguing that it reduced friction?  You've got field-applied corrugations there.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #1267 on: February 11, 2024, 05:50:39 AM »
Hello Navaja and welcome to the thread.  Thanks for stopping by!  I’m glad you’ve been enjoying the thread and intend to read through the whole thing.  Hopefully it won’t bore you to the point that you don’t want to return.  Many thanks for posting some interesting content and congratulations on finding and reviving that L-N block plane.  I think that even in its current state, it will be a good worker.  I’m personally a very big fan of L-N tools so way to go.  As you progress through the thread, I sincerely hope you’ll continue to add more hand plane content and conversation.  Once again, thanks for stopping by the hand plane thread.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1268 on: February 11, 2024, 07:18:35 AM »
Hello, Navaja. Nice rescue on the plane!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #1269 on: February 11, 2024, 02:32:45 PM »
Hello, Navaja. Nice rescue on the plane!!

+1
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1270 on: February 11, 2024, 03:08:02 PM »
You know how Stanley developed the corrugated sole for bench planes, arguing that it reduced friction?  You've got field-applied corrugations there.

Yes. 👍.    And don't forget Sargent.

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1271 on: February 11, 2024, 03:16:54 PM »
Hello Navaja and welcome to the thread.  Thanks for stopping by!  I’m glad you’ve been enjoying the thread and intend to read through the whole thing.  Hopefully it won’t bore you to the point that you don’t want to return.  Many thanks for posting some interesting content and congratulations on finding and reviving that L-N block plane.  I think that even in its current state, it will be a good worker.  I’m personally a very big fan of L-N tools so way to go.  As you progress through the thread, I sincerely hope you’ll continue to add more hand plane content and conversation.  Once again, thanks for stopping by the hand plane thread.

Jim C.

And thank you for starting the thread & adding plenty of good reading, it'll take me a while to get through it but I'm in no rush.
   The L-N is a bit scared up but it doesn't seem to affect things, the area around the mouth is pit free & that's probably the most important.
   I have a very eclectic collection of good, bad & ugly planes so will upload a few images.

Thank you all for the nice comments. 👍

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1272 on: February 13, 2024, 02:26:58 PM »

I’ve been reading through the thread & am at page 17.....  So I’m about 10 years late to make relevant comments!
    Firstly I’ve been living in Andalucía since moving to Spain in 95, my work has always been with my hands & for many years oriented towards metalwork but over the last 10 years or so have become interested in woodwork & carving.
   I (like many on here I presume) was collecting tools years before I realised I was collecting! One of my interests that stemmed from rummaging around fairs & Flea markets here in southern Spain was very old tools & implements, the older the better & especially wrought iron, but my collecting is very varied & planes are a part of it.

Back to the thread,  page 10, reply #143,  johnsironsanctuary shows a sad old plane missing it's horn reminded me to drag out my wooden planes (I'm moving property & in limbo so lots of my things have been stacked up in storage way too long) which is no bad thing as they need cleaning & the irons need oiling before they deteriorate any further!
      I'll maybe find out what happens to johnsifonsanctuary's old plane (no spoilers please!), but I would consider it very old, the iron not necessarily being a repair but having originally had a forge welded steel bit on the iron when carbon steel was precious & in short supply, I imagine the rest of the iron is wrought.  I'll not comment on my feelings about restoring it till I read the outcome.. or not.

The images show an oak plane missing it's iron & wedge also in a bad state, I've put it here simply because it's hard to believe such a piece of wood would ever have been selected to use, the grain runs in line with the throat, the pictures speak for themselves including the epoxy!!
     Given to me to use to make "a wooden wood plane plane made from a plane that won't plane"... But decided it was too rough!

Offline Navaja

« Reply #1273 on: February 13, 2024, 02:32:22 PM »
    And the talk of horns....  These pictures are just random images of what might be of interest, I'll take some detailed shots as I clean them up if anyone is interested, I have about 15 wooden planes most older than pictured.   I don't have as many metal planes & nothing interesting, the oldest being a Stanley & Sargent both No 7's from 1910~18, the rest are down hill from there.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:48:07 PM by Navaja »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #1274 on: February 13, 2024, 10:22:25 PM »
Thanks, Navaja!  Some good stuff here.