Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 321404 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #975 on: June 13, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
Please be patient.  I found the Stanley 60 series block plane Type Study and managed to get it scanned and sent to myself in an email.  So I have a file.  The problem I'm having is that the file is too big and I can't post it here in the thread.

Jim C.   
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #976 on: June 13, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
"The problem I'm having is that the file is too big and I can't post it here in the thread."

Can you save it to a file sharing site and provide us a link?

Look here- https://www.computerworld.com/article/3262636/top-10-file-sharing-options-dropbox-google-drive-onedrive-and-more.html
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline p_toad

« Reply #977 on: June 14, 2019, 05:06:06 PM »
file is too big
Jim C.   

Text file?   PDF?   ODF?  just curious if I can help in any way.   

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #978 on: June 15, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »
file is too big
Jim C.   

Text file?   PDF?   ODF?  just curious if I can help in any way.

Hi P,

I sent you a PM.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #979 on: July 28, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »
Well I really didn't need more planes, went to an auction yesterday and ended up buying 41.  Included were 21 small block planes for $7.50, Yes, that was 7 dollars and fifty cents.  These are all users, but not trash.  The larger planes were all $3.00 each except for the No. 7 Stanley and No. 22 Millers Falls. for which I paid $15.00 each.  Most need cleaning up, but what motivated me was all the good totes that I got for $3.00 each, If I don't like the plane its parts.  I keep telling myself not to buy more planes, but I don't listen.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #980 on: July 28, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Well I really didn't need more planes, went to an auction yesterday and ended up buying 41.  Included were 21 small block planes for $7.50, Yes, that was 7 dollars and fifty cents.  These are all users, but not trash.  The larger planes were all $3.00 each except for the No. 7 Stanley and No. 22 Millers Falls. for which I paid $15.00 each.  Most need cleaning up, but what motivated me was all the good totes that I got for $3.00 each, If I don't like the plane its parts.  I keep telling myself not to buy more planes, but I don't listen.

Yeah, I'll got to the judges for a final decision, but I'm issuing a preliminary "you suck" warning just on the block planes alone.  Fantastic!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #981 on: July 28, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »

That is major "Suckage" right there!

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #982 on: July 28, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
Hi hand plane enthusiasts!  I hope you’re all having a great summer so far!  I picked up one block plane at a garage sale a few weeks ago for five dollars and thought I got a good deal....... Coolford, that might be the greatest hand plane haul in terms of quantity to price per unit on record!  If you get a few minutes, please post a few photos.  Let’s see what you got. That’s a FANTASTIC score absolutely worthy of a “You Suck” award!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:41:22 PM by Jim C. »

Online gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #983 on: July 28, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
I have somewhere north of 400 Stanley planes and over the years I have got some great deals price wise, but NEVER have I got a deal like that. That's a capital you suck award with a capital C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #984 on: July 29, 2019, 03:31:13 PM »
Okay, I will accept the "you suck" award, but remember there were at least 40 other guys at the table and they could have bid.

Here is a picture of the 21 planes that I paid $7.50 for, a couple were not counted and the rusty #4 was thrown in.  Unfortunately the $3.00 planes which are No's 3, 4 and 5's are already apart and all over the shop.  However, there are two nice wood planes, a No. 29 Stanley transitional and an Ohio Tool Co. 16" all wood plane with correct iron and in fine condition also included at $3.00 each.  Many years ago at a Mid-West regional meet I bought 50 steel planes No.3 and larger from another member for $100.00 which had already been cleaned---he was getting out of planes.  That buy was probably my best.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #985 on: July 31, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
Wow coolford,

You have a smattering of everything in that haul, even a couple razor blade planes.  We actually talked about those way back in the thread on page 2, reply 16, and again on page 14, reply 207.  You shouldn’t ever need another block plane again......but I suspect there will be a few more in your future!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:41:57 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #986 on: August 01, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
Way back on page 33, Jim posted a picture of a Stanley No. 180 rabbet plane, a simpler version of the Stanley No. 78 rabbet: no bullnose bed, no fence.  If I'm doing the link right, it's here: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=9443.msg91435#msg91435.

He mentions in that post that Stanley later introduced the 190 series of planes, just like the 180 series except with a spur for cutting cross-grain.  This last weekend, at a yard sale, I picked up a Stanley 190, previously owned and used by the father of the nice neighbor lady who sold it to me for $2.00.  Here it is:

It's frighteningly clean.  The bevel is correct and clean, although there's chipping on the edge and it thus needs sharpening before use; but, on most planes I find in the wild, the bevel looks like it was shaped by a committee whose members could not agree on the correct angle or even what constituted "straight across the cutting iron."  When I get a chance, I hope to sharpen it up, cut a sample rabbet on a piece of pine, and take it around to the nice neighbor lady, to show her that Dad's plane can still cut it, so to speak.

Stanley had a tendency to proliferate designs and sizes, seemingly often rather redundantly.  I'm not sure why they needed to offer the 190 series in three widths (190: 1-1/2" wide; 191: 1-1/4" wide; 192: 1" wide); but they did.  I purchased a 192 a few years back, because an online acquaintance swore that this particular model is the cat's PJs, but haven't had occasion to use it, so don't really know.  This picture doesn't make the width differences as vivid as I'd hoped, but you may be able to see it:

I do find this sort of rabbet plane quite useful; the main reason I have yet to use the No. 192 is that the cutting iron on the No. 78 is sharp, and it's at the top of the pile in the drawer where I'm forced to keep these planes due to limited shop space.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #987 on: August 01, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
Way back on page 33, Jim posted a picture of a Stanley No. 180 rabbet plane, a simpler version of the Stanley No. 78 rabbet: no bullnose bed, no fence.  If I'm doing the link right, it's here: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=9443.msg91435#msg91435.

He mentions in that post that Stanley later introduced the 190 series of planes, just like the 180 series except with a spur for cutting cross-grain.  This last weekend, at a yard sale, I picked up a Stanley 190, previously owned and used by the father of the nice neighbor lady who sold it to me for $2.00.  Here it is:

It's frighteningly clean.  The bevel is correct and clean, although there's chipping on the edge and it thus needs sharpening before use; but, on most planes I find in the wild, the bevel looks like it was shaped by a committee whose members could not agree on the correct angle or even what constituted "straight across the cutting iron."  When I get a chance, I hope to sharpen it up, cut a sample rabbet on a piece of pine, and take it around to the nice neighbor lady, to show her that Dad's plane can still cut it, so to speak.

Stanley had a tendency to proliferate designs and sizes, seemingly often rather redundantly.  I'm not sure why they needed to offer the 190 series in three widths (190: 1-1/2" wide; 191: 1-1/4" wide; 192: 1" wide); but they did.  I purchased a 192 a few years back, because an online acquaintance swore that this particular model is the cat's PJs, but haven't had occasion to use it, so don't really know.  This picture doesn't make the width differences as vivid as I'd hoped, but you may be able to see it:

I do find this sort of rabbet plane quite useful; the main reason I have yet to use the No. 192 is that the cutting iron on the No. 78 is sharp, and it's at the top of the pile in the drawer where I'm forced to keep these planes due to limited shop space.

Nice buy! Nicer neighbor.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »
Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you!  I hope your summer is going great so far.  It looks like you hit a home run with that Stanley #190.  The condition is fantastic and the price was better than just "right."  Nice addition to your collection.  I hope you do get a chance to at least try out the plane once or twice.  I can totally sympathize with your storage limitations.  I very recently completed a MAJOR tool purge, shop cleanup and maximized the little storage space I have.  Much better now!  The trick is keeping it that way.  To some extent, that means being a little more selective about what I buy and take in.  Anyway, I can't add too much more to what I said back on page 33, reply 494, of this thread, and your recent comments.  Since my shop is clean, I was able to get easier access to the Stanley 190 series of rabbet planes.  I figured a few photos were in order.  The planes depicted below were probably manufactured during the late 1940s to 1950s.  All three sizes are represented.  One thing to take note of are the little tan colored paper envelopes in each box.  Those held the depth stop and associated thumbscrew.  I'm pretty sure those envelopes are original Stanley factory packaging.  You see, I bought all three planes separately and each time, those envelopes were included with the plane, box, etc.  I've seen similar envelopes that held small parts and were included with other Stanley planes. 

Great find Bill.  If you do make a couple passes on some pine, please be sure to show us too!!

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:44:58 PM by Jim C. »

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
Hello, Bill & Jim. Thanks you both for sharing photos of fine examples of the 190 series planes!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society