Author Topic: A few more refinishes  (Read 3526 times)

Offline aaronc

A few more refinishes
« on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
Here's a couple more, sorry no before pics of the little hammer. By the way, some of you tool guys feel free to tell me what it was meant for.

The belt axe was done a little differently than the axes in my other post. I was trying for a little more "antiqued" look. It is an old piece and still had the tool marks going down the side of it from when it was made. I thought they were cool and tried to leave them in there.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:58:30 AM by Papaw »

Offline aaronc

Re: A few more rifinishes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
This is a straight edge I'm assuming of some sort,.wasn't any markings at all on it. It's maple no doubt. I used the majic maple for a base stain on this and then used a variety of Homer Dangler Stains (muzzleloader supply stain) to try and shoot for a color I liked.

This old hand plane was in pretty rough shape. I had a great time on this one and have picked up several more that don't even have any "figured wood" in them to work on. Anxious to see how they turn out. Anyhow, here was my first one. Staining technique was same as above.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
Once again great work, an thanks for sharing.

I always seemed to struggle with staining an refinishing.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:29 AM »
Beautiful wood grain!! great job... what kind of woods on the ax & hammer handles?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline aaronc

Re: A few more refinishes
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
oldtools,
                    that's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. My guess would be ash or oak. I think the little hammer and the Evansville Tool hatchet I posted in the other thread are the same type (whatever type that may be).  The handle on this little belt axe weighs almost nothing. extremely light.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
The "straight edge" is probably 1/2 of a pair of winding sticks.
Winding sticks (usually one light and the other dark wood) are what you put on each end of a plank of wood and then eyeball how parallel they are.
        For taking out twist.

You eyeball them, then plane the plank, and eyeball the sticks again, and so forth.
  You can get pretty true this way.
       Unless you have a --real wide-- power joiner and a very steady hand, its still the only way to save a wide beautiful piece of wood. 

I still don't know where to get this "magic" stain. I have a lot of quilted and curly madrone wood. A kind of wood you seldom ever see figured. 
I am finding it very difficult to bring out the figure though
    yours Scott

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »
oldtools,
                    that's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. My guess would be ash or oak. I think the little hammer and the Evansville Tool hatchet I posted in the other thread are the same type (whatever type that may be).  The handle on this little belt axe weighs almost nothing. extremely light.

More likely ash than oak.  Ash is flexible, and flexible is what you want in the handle of a striking tool.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
Scott,
             I need to correct myself. It is called "Majestic Maple"    (chromic trioxide,...............it's a chemical stain). It comes in little hard clumps  and you simply ad tap water to the bottle  then,..........Bam, your ready to rock. I don't think I've gotten even half way through a bottle yet. I've used it on everything you see here plus at least one more hand plane that I haven't quite got finished yet. It goes a long way. This is the website and page that I ordered mine from. Hope this helps.

http://www.rwwilsonknives.com/dye-glue--more.html

Best,  -Aaron