Author Topic: Henry Cheney Hammer Company -- The Mystery of the Cruciform-Slot Cheney Nailers  (Read 9206 times)

Offline jtc

• Henry Cheney Hammer Company
Fellow Tool Collectors,

I've recently discovered a clue and a new mystery concerning the cruciform slot Cheney Nailers -- thanks to the discovery of a box-fresh mint No. 3 Plain Face 1 lb. 12 oz. Cheney Nailer.

Apparently it is the Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 that have the cruciform rather than flat-top 'T' shaped nail holding slot.

Still no clue as to the purpose of this variation -- except for the suggestion that it was to accommodate rose head nails.

Here's where it gets weird. These models, the Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are all listed in the 1904 catalog. They appear to be identical with the exception of the nail holding feature. The same is true for the Nos. 37 and 38 Bell Face Adz-Eye hammers. However, then those hammers were offered with the nail holding feature they were given new 900-series model numbers -- 937 and 938, respectively. In fact, all of the other Cheney Nailer models have 900-series numbers -- 944, 958, and 981. So why didn't they change the model numbers on the cruciform slotted nailers?

Meanwhile, I've added lots of new pictures to the site. Please check it out:

http://jtc.net/hchc/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:53:46 PM by jtc »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Nice research, and a nice site for hammer enthusiasts.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline jtc

Thanks, papaw!

Any clue what's wrong with my image tag?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench

You put in too much. Only needed http://jtc.net/hchc/images/cheney-03-nailer-05.jpg  between IMG tags.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:11:54 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline jtc

Thanks, Papaw! That did the trick.

Meanwhile, I'm drooling over Skipskip's flea market find. This is the kind of cabinet I want to build for my hammers. Just when you think you've seen it all, a whole new world opens up. Beautiful. Inspiring.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:51:20 PM by jtc »

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
what are the balls for??
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline jtc

what are the balls for??

Obviously this is a male hammer. ;-)

Seriously though, they are part of the nail holding feature. They're spring-loaded.

Offline oldtools

OK, I can see it now, I should have checked the site first.. spring loaded nailer balls..  for the man that can safely nails things out of reach...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy

Offline Branson

There's a cruciform Cheney on eBay right now, on its second go 'round.  Prolly because the seller is starting it off at $75.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321169226112?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline jtc

Hi Branson!

My first thought was, I know exactly which hammer he's talking about. But when I looked it wasn't the one I had in mind. How did I miss this one? Maybe I subconsciously chose to ignore it...

I always have a tough time assigning value to these hammers, but $75 does seem a bit excessive. It's not in great shape and they made more than a few of these...

There two other similar listings, but for Australian-made Cheney Nailers. Same general condition. Same price range.

So far, all of the cruciform-slot Cheney Nailers appear to be Plain Face -- matching the pattern of the Nos. 2 (32 oz.), 3 (28 oz.), 4 (24 oz.), 5 (20 oz.), and 7 (16 oz.). The only one I've found marked with the model number is the No. 3.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Without the original handle $75.00 is not just excessive,it borders on the ridiculous...especially in that condition.  I have one in excellent condition with an original handle and a partial decal that I would be happy to sell for $75.00.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Helleri

Maybe tell the seller they are asking to much and why (a misrepresentation of potential value is bad for all possible buyers and sellers within any realm of collect-ability)?

Offline oldtools

looks like it only has one ball & it's not in the hole, no spring?..
Aloha!  the OldTool guy

Offline Branson

Maybe tell the seller they are asking to much and why (a misrepresentation of potential value is bad for all possible buyers and sellers within any realm of collect-ability)?

Good luck with that!  When #199 and 299 Stanley box knives are offered for as much as $80 or so,  I think the only way the seller will figure things out is when it never sells.  Some never learn.  A fairly common mallet described as being in good condition, but which has a gaping hole in one side has been offered at the same ridiculous price at least four times now.

Offline jtc

The $75 Nailer is now "on sale" -- a whopping 10% off! So now it's only $67.50.

Meanwhile, how are we going to figure out The Mystery of the Cruciform-Slot Cheney Nailers?