Author Topic: Box wrench?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Helleri

Box wrench?
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
So, I am not sure what would be the most correct thing to call this; A Box Wrench; An Open Ended Wrench; Something Else? I have have never really know what to actually call these and generically I just call them all Hand Tool Wrenches in an attempt to be on the safe side of terminology...Most I find have broken teeth, snapped in half; Or are generally in bad shape. While this one has a nice even patina, the corrosion clean and well caked-on. It has pretty much all the sizes I have seen and had use for in the past as well, and they are clearly marked (not so clearly that all of them are viewable in the picture).

Other then that -it being a good example of one of these in decent usable shape- I am posting because, it has an interesting feature. One that I have not seen on one of these before, and really can't imagine what it would be used for...That odd cylindrical protrusion with a roughly square hole on one side and a smoothed cross shaped hole on the other side, As seen in the pictures below:

Any thoughts on what that odd piece sticking off of it could be meant for?

Offline strik9

Re: Box wrench?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
  A valve on a gas tank for a torch, maybe AC use depending on the size of the square opening.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline Helleri

Re: Box wrench?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
awesome ty!