Author Topic: Wagon repair  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Branson

Wagon repair
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »
The other work we did last weekend was part of a continuing project to restore a farm wagon that has been in Al's family since it was purchased around the turn of the last century.  His grandfather cut off the tongue so it could be pulled by his tractor.  Somebody else made a turn too tight while pulling the wagon, and it went over with predictable results.  Using what was left of the original wooden parts,  we have been putting things back together. 

There was a good deal of smithing work on the metal parts, many of which got twisted up when the wagon went over -- straightening, reworking curves and breaks,

Al (the guy on the left) bought an ash tongue).  Together, we lined it all up, drilled holes for the bolts and pins.  That brace across the bottom runs through mortises I hand cut through the three pieces.  The 3/4 inch metal bar that runs through is bright because after lining up the 3/4 inch holes we had drilled, we had to smooth it and wax it in order to drive the rod through them --some tight tolerances there! 

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Wagon repair
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
Ahh, farm wagons, how are the wheels?   I have  pieces, and lots of good intentions.    They are such a great combination of wood and metal working.  Any plans afoot to hitch to a team?   I do have all the bits to one special wagon, a Studebaker, but a heavy freight wagon, not a  farm wagon, and is it ever going to eat a lot of nice wood to finish.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

Re: Wagon repair
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »
Ahh, farm wagons, how are the wheels?   I have  pieces, and lots of good intentions.    They are such a great combination of wood and metal working.  Any plans afoot to hitch to a team?   I do have all the bits to one special wagon, a Studebaker, but a heavy freight wagon, not a  farm wagon, and is it ever going to eat a lot of nice wood to finish.

It's been a long project, as you can imagine.  A couple of years ago Al showed me the remains, and as I remember the wheels were good.  It wasn't out in the weather, but in one of the barns.  We spent a deal of time determining the length of the tongue, since different horses take different lengths.  Settled on a length 8 inches shorter than that recommended for Percherons, because in the area,  using smaller draft horses was standard practice.  It will probably never be hitched up, but when finished will sure be able to be drawn.

A Studebaker!   Great!  I have a Studebaker wheel barrow wheel -- had it for years.  I keep telling myself that I'll build a barrow for it.