Author Topic: Corner clamp madness  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Corner clamp madness
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
I'm something of a sucker for those corner clamps with two clamping screws at right angles to each other, most often sold as picture framing clamps, but useful for lots more (like holding casework together while working on it or gluing it).  Mostly, these are very similar in size, but at a recent yard sale, I found out that Record, the one-time British tool firm analogous to Stanley (now a part of the Irwin multinational, with a marked decrease in quality), made, and may still make, a larger version of this clamp design, the M141, pictured below screwed to a piece of plywood (with a typical corner clamp, and a piece of shim shingle marked off in 1 inch increments, next to it for scale).  This is one serious clamp: cast iron, with a capacity of 4-1/4", and a current retail price from one U.K. supplier of $61.  The right angle fixed jaws are 1-1/2" high, so this is not useful for a little picture frame for that vacation shot you want to hang on the wall behind your desk at work; but it'd be just right for framing the six-foot-tall oil painting of yourself with your favorite dog to hang in the baronial hall you inherited, along with your baronetcy, when Uncle Bertie died without issue, leaving you next in line for the title.  The U.K. supplier on which I found the price says, "In addition to its function as a mitre framing cramp, it has many general purpose uses and is an ideal tool for pattern makers."  It'll be interesting to see how it fits into my clamping kit.

As an added attraction, I'm including a photo of an Adjustable Clamp No. 9133 adjustable-angle "corner" clamp.  These aren't common in the wild: besides the two that followed me home, the only other one I've seen was broken.  Adjustable still makes them, about $16.  You can tell by the fact that this (and the other) is still fastened to its backing cardboard that they have limited uses.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Corner clamp madness
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
I have a big Record clamp just like that. Except mine is a little newer or older, painted red instead of blue.
  They really are great clamps. I got mine cheap, but I got it from Scotland, and the postage was brutal.

(do you know Andy? Inchmartine tools?)
http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/

I have the occasion to use an adjustable clamp.  I am building a table apron/frame that is not square.
Fortunately its only a few degrees off square and a regular bar clamp pulls up the joints anyway.   
  yours Scott

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
I have a big Record clamp just like that. Except mine is a little newer or older, painted red instead of blue.

The red painted Record spokeshaves were made from malleable iron, rather than cast - Record recommended them for manual training classes, figuring the kids would be less likely to break them, and stated that they were better in general, but more expensive.  Your clamp may be, similarly, of malleable iron (worked with a guy one time who called malleable washers "Malibu washers," and, when I asked him why the name, he didn't know).

I'd be interested to hear what uses you've made of yours.

I've heard of Inchmartine, but never had the occasion to buy from them, and am approaching tool completeness, so may never have occasion.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
and am approaching tool completeness

No such place or time exists!!!!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
and am approaching tool completeness

No such place or time exists!!!!

Well, maybe "tool sufficiency" is a better term.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:13:15 PM »
  I mostly use mine for large frames. Big picture frames. Its been a joy.  Maybe not quite as good as a big miter vise, but close, and I could afford it. (never got a miter vise)

In the early days when Andy started Inchmartine, it was really fun. Due to his location, he had access to generations of spectacular tools for very low prices. Nobody had ever thought to sell tools locally.
Off the beaten tourist track too so hardly any antique shops.

He would publish lists. Round up a large lot of tools and make a list. A slightly odd system. 
 He would open the buying on a certain day at a certain time. Not an auction, it was first come first served at the price he was asking, but just starting at a certain time. Never understood why but who cares? 
     And the price was shockingly good!! Unbelievably good for brass back saws, infill planes, long crank paring chisels and gouges. Mathieson, Spiers, Preston, Marples, the whole gang.   All kinds of hard to find tools.
    At yard/swap meet, lucky find prices!  Practically dirt! I couldn't believe what I was seeing those first few times. I was hocking my socks to get in on it!

The only catch was postage from Scotland, which was not so cheap, but it was bearable, and still ended up lower than anyone else you could find. By a great margin.

Over the years his supply has thinned out and prices up as locals realize their old tools may be worth something. Postage went ballistic and they lowered a big tax on export too,
 so its not as much fun as it once was. (he still does the lists if you ask to be put on the e-mailing)

But for a while there...............oh my my my    :)
    yours Scott