Author Topic: Thorsen DBE  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Branson

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: Thorsen DBE
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
I guess its lackluster finish qualifies it as primitive ?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Primative, (sic) conjures up an image of Boyd and Mortensen, wearing bearskin coats, standing in front of  fire, beating out wrenches on a rock with a club.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
It has an almost vintage Plomb look to it.
Ratchet Guru

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
I saw it this morning in my routine Internet sweep.  Based on the model number and stampings I'd say it's late 1920's to early 1930s.  I'm in for it so long as the price doesn't get silly.  Silly is a relative term in that context :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline mr.x

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »
Well, what do you date that catalog you bought as? 30/31? It's got chevy six (29) stuff but not Ford V8 (32) yet is that right? The Boeing aeronautical school mentioned was founded in 29. so it has to be after that. Also, does it mention the "techniheat" process? That was in April of 31 so it may or may not have been mentioned in a 31 cat. depending on publication month. If it's not mentioned that puts the catalog to pre April 1931. My guess is your cat. is probably a 31 and the 31 referred to on the AA website is a 32.  I concur with the idea that Thorsen didn't start til 29. I believe that Ned Boyd went with the 26 date because HE personally had been supplying "fine mechanics hand tools since 1926". When did Thorsen make a flat shank 16XX series wrench? I know General Tool sold some 16XX series wrenches they contracted from Thorsen for awhile but  they weren't using Thorsen til after 1931. If that wrench isn't in your catalog and I don't think it is we can probably rule out late 20's and  at least a couple years into the 30's. I would just say that at some point where they still had their original 10XX round shank box ends and hadn't transitioned to their flat shank 10XX box ends and needed a a new series number for the "new" flat shanks EXCEPT there's clearly a round shank 16XX ( and it's an offset!) on the AA website that looks like a 9XX but with markings that look more modern than the classic mid 30's OAK, CALIF marked ones. So.....I don't think I solved anything and without my catalogs I'm probably forgetting something obvious but I'm thinking it's later than late 20's and early 30's.....

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
Primative, (sic) conjures up an image of Boyd and Mortensen, wearing bearskin coats, standing in front of  fire, beating out wrenches on a rock with a club.

Probably means only primates could use it.  Whether these are ape primates or church primates isn't indicated.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:10:20 AM »
Well, what do you date that catalog you bought as? 30/31? It's got chevy six (29) stuff but not Ford V8 (32) yet is that right? The Boeing aeronautical school mentioned was founded in 29. so it has to be after that. Also, does it mention the "techniheat" process? That was in April of 31 so it may or may not have been mentioned in a 31 cat. depending on publication month. If it's not mentioned that puts the catalog to pre April 1931. My guess is your cat. is probably a 31 and the 31 referred to on the AA website is a 32.

It depends on which catalog you speak of.  I have one purchased off Ebay last December that is early 30s.  I would date the catalog 1931 or 1932, but as of yet there is no clear evidence of it's exact date.

The 1600 Series, as represented in the early 30's catalog I have, are speed wrenches.  The model 1612 would have represented a 3/8" opening on a 8" below bend speed wrench.

I rarely leverage AA for my research, and it's been a good while since I've read the Thorsen write-up there.  I should probably do that again soon.

My approach is to have the wrench in my hand for further research.

Its good to see other's interested in, and knowledgeable of, Thorsen.

Offline mr.x

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
Quote from: OilyRascal link=topic=7949. is a 32. [/quote

It depends on which catalog you speak of.  I have one purchased off Ebay last December that is early 30s.  I would date the catalog 1931 or 1932, but as of yet there is no clear evidence of it's exact date.

I rarely leverage AA for my research, and it's been a good while since I've read the Thorsen write-up there.  I should probably do that again soon.

UUhhhhhh, yes,... that catalog, the one you posted a link to in a previous post.
Hopefully the fact that I had a slight difference of opinion about the possible date of the tool didn't put you on the defensive. I notice you didn't address any of the points I tried to use to begin building a case for dating the tool. Instead of waiting for someone To pull out a 1935 or  a war years catalog with that exact tool in it I thought it would be  interesting  to try and work it out with what evidence we have or could get from the board members now. The pictures of the wrench were pretty clear in the auction, when you talk about having the wrench in your hands for further research what kinds of things would you look for? I guess if there was evidence of chrome that had been stripped off or traces of a cadmium finish, those  might  be good clues but what else?
 Your comment about rarely leveraging AA for research is interesting. If your only interest is Thorsen, then yes, you could read it once and take whatever, if anything, is useful. As a general statement....I don't know...why wouldn't you?

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
Quote from: OilyRascal link=topic=7949. is a 32. [/quote

UUhhhhhh, yes,... that catalog, the one you posted a link to in a previous post.
Hopefully the fact that I had a slight difference of opinion about the possible date of the tool didn't put you on the defensive. I notice you didn't address any of the points I tried to use to begin building a case for dating the tool. Instead of waiting for someone To pull out a 1935 or  a war years catalog with that exact tool in it I thought it would be  interesting  to try and work it out with what evidence we have or could get from the board members now. The pictures of the wrench were pretty clear in the auction, when you talk about having the wrench in your hands for further research what kinds of things would you look for? I guess if there was evidence of chrome that had been stripped off or traces of a cadmium finish, those  might  be good clues but what else?
 Your comment about rarely leveraging AA for research is interesting. If your only interest is Thorsen, then yes, you could read it once and take whatever, if anything, is useful. As a general statement....I don't know...why wouldn't you?

There are a lot of things I enjoy in life.  This thread isn't one of them.  I do appreciate the "heads-up' from Branson.

Offline mr.x

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Wow!! OK, I got your number now. I'll refrain from commenting directly to any more of your posts.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »
Thanks for the Thorsen information guys.
I can't seem to find a reason for your little spat, but thanks again for the info.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
Wow!! OK, I got your number now. I'll refrain from commenting directly to any more of your posts.
No mistaking this hostility, take my number as well, thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline mr.x

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
Hi, thanks Ernie. If any adults want to PM me about Thorsen or P&C or Plomb or other old tool companies, I'd be happy to share anything I know or bounce around some ideas(as an equal contributor) Apparently ( based on other threads with the same players) I stepped into a little community that has a hierarchy where one guy does a show and tell of his acquisitions and everybody else  ooohs and aaahs.  I didn't post to show anyone up or take their crown. If I worded something wrong or had a tone, or was abrasive or otherwise inappropriate for the forum I apologize but I honestly don't believe that's the issue here.

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Quote from: OilyRascal
  I do appreciate the "heads-up' from Branson.
[/quote

You're welcome, Oily.  I thought of you when I saw this one come up.  Let's hope the bidding doesn't get silly, and that you get the wrench in your hand!