Author Topic: 6 in. Adjustable w/Push Lock  (Read 1354 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
6 in. Adjustable w/Push Lock
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
I ran across this at a local FM on Wed.  I don't normally pay $4 for 6 in. adjustable's, but this one was different enough to warrant it.

I had a 12 in. Craftsman with this same type of lock that I traded to my FIL about 30 years ago.  I haven't seen one since.  This one, as you can see, has the name etc. stamped into the handle, which indicates to me that it may have been made for different companies under contract.  It seems to me that the ones with the name etc. forged into the handles were probably made by that actual company for themselves.

Pushing on the adjustable jaw end locks the adjusting knurl, and pushing on the other end unlocks it.  I assume this is a Grainger item because of the Dayton name.

I would imagine that it was patented, but I haven't found one yet.  Anybody know what it would be.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:01:42 PM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline rusty

Re: 6 in. Adjustable w/Push Lock
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »
Wright Wrench Co was likely the actual maker...

http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=754633&id=15844&set=21

(This is a quick adjust rack type wrench, but the rack is recessed and hidden)

> I assume this is a Grainger item because of the Dayton name.

????

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:58:33 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Papaw, Rusty,   I posted a picture of a Wright wrench, which was the wrong wrench, in this case.  Itt shoud have been a Crescent wrench style.  You guys were too quick, and posted before I got the pictures swapped around.

Mike

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »

I hate it when the wrong wrench is the wright wrench, or , er the right wrench is the wong wrench...LOL

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
Try J. H. WILLIAMS & CO. adjustment lock patent no. 2,719,449.  The "shaft" of the pin is hexagonal.   They advertised the heck out of this in Fall 1955.  I see I have to get the DATAMP entry fleshed out. ( http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=2719449&id=27966 )  ( later ... I got the DATAMP entry updated.)
Regards, Stan Schulz
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:19:16 PM by mvwcnews »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Thanks Stan,  I like to have the relevant patents for any tools I have.  Particularly the wrenches.

Mike

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Mike, I have three of them. Two Craftsman and a JH Williams 8" Superadjustable.. The Williams is a new addition, so it is not in the old post. Great find! Thanks for posting it. I did not know that there was a Dayton.

http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3298.msg20053#msg20053
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:36:44 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
JIS,  After reading your post and looking at the previous thread(don't know how I missed that one) I looked at mine again.  It does not have the AZ forging mark as yours do.  Also all markings on mine are stamped into the metal rather than being forged in.

Makes me wonder if perhaps someone else made these besides Williams.  Their patent would have run out somewhere around 1972 so anybody could have made them.  This one is of reasonably good quality, moveable jaw is not sloppy as are so many, but the forging quality doesn't seem to be up to Williams standards...or maybe it's just me.

Mike