Author Topic: Rare Keen Cutter Anvil  (Read 7149 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
Rare Keen Cutter Anvil
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
Yep, I know that isn't the way you spell Kutter, as in Keen Kutter, but the guy stamping these anvils didn't.  He knew that cutter started with a C not a K so he made the change on his own.  I believe there were somewhere around 50 made before it was caught.  This is one of 8 that are left(I should have written all this down, rather than relying on my memory).

The anvil weighs 157 pounds and was made by Hay Budden for Simmons Hardware.

This was a display at the recent M-WTCA, "Peach Meet" in Madison, GA.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Rare Keen Cutter Anvil
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
Wow,  another thing I had not heard before.   But I have studiously avoided KK tools as their price always seem to indicate some gold content.   I think I've seen one KK anvil and not near that big.   I have one KK item and it is a folding pedal grinder.   157lbs, that would fit into my shop so nicely.   I don't suppose he was interested in selling?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »
I think that is a fantasy piece, stamped after the fact. I don't believe Hay Budden made a run for Simmons. Hay Budden was a class act as far as anvils go, and I don't think they would have stamped a Hardware Store name over their familiar oval stamping. Maybe in another spot, or they wouldn't have stamped their name on it AT ALL. Is there any documentation of this "Special Run" with the mis-spelled "Cutter" on it from the factory.

Just my .02, as people have been faking Keen Kutter items for years, especially the brass locks in the KK pie shape.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
John, No it wasn't for sale.  He just enjoys displaying it.

KK, It definitely was not a fantasy piece.  It was quite well documented. 

Mike

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
Strange. It's not the full KeenKutter logo either, just the top part. Black Jack was a Simmons's house brand though. I know they used it on their monkey wrenches.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »
I noticed that also, Bus.

I just can't see a company stamping OVER their logo. Doesn't make sense. Most manufacturers would make items for places like Simmons, but would only mark them with the specific "house" brand only.

Mike, I'd love to see the documentation on this curious piece. Very interesting.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
Postman mentions these on page 289 and 291.  He shows a picture of the Keen Cutter one and an ad for the Keen Kutter anvil.  The example KC has a 1914 serial number, but the 1913 ad shows the correct one.  If the Keen Cutter one was done first, then why does the earlier ad show the right one.  Maybe the Keen Cutter is a period knock-off stamp on a HB anvil?  I too would like to see the documentation.

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »
Guys my apologies for all the controversy.  Had I realized that there would be some questions, I would have been a lot more careful in documenting things.  Originally, I took the picture to send to a friend that trades in anvils, then decided to post it here also. 

There was a paper that described the circumstances under which this stamping occurred but I had no way to copy it.  I actually was going to take a picture of it but couldn't get enough detail to be able to read it.  Should John bring it next year, you can bet that I will find out every thing there is to know about it.  As an aside, all the tools, including the hardy, were also KK.

Mike

Tam

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
I think that is a fantasy piece, stamped after the fact. I don't believe Hay Budden made a run for Simmons. Hay Budden was a class act as far as anvils go, and I don't think they would have stamped a Hardware Store name over their familiar oval stamping. Maybe in another spot, or they wouldn't have stamped their name on it AT ALL. Is there any documentation of this "Special Run" with the mis-spelled "Cutter" on it from the factory.

Just my .02, as people have been faking Keen Kutter items for years, especially the brass locks in the KK pie shape.
I also have an anvil marked Keen Cutter[/b][/b], but below that shield w/KC , using a very different type  is Black Jack, even slightly off-center. below that is the stamped number 102. if there is more I am  unable to read it. This anvil has been at our family farm for 75 to 85 years, now it lives in my entry as a boot scraper. . What would be its value today, any idea? I  would appreciate it.
PS. The info on the <Cutter vs .Kutter LOGO was interesting.Tam Vick. >

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
A boot scraper, ah.   Keen Kutter has quite a following it seems, and from people with deep pockets.  If yours is over a hundred pounds, and in decent usable shape, not all chipped away on the edges,  I am guessing 2.50 to 3.00 per pound. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »
At least a bood scraper is using it as a tool (more or less), as opposed to say, painting flowers on it and letting it rust in the front yard ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
At least a bood scraper is using it as a tool (more or less), as opposed to say, painting flowers on it and letting it rust in the front yard ;P

Painting flowers on a perfectly good anvil should be a crime.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood