Author Topic: Got it open, what is a good ratchet grease?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Scotsman1886

Got it open, what is a good ratchet grease?
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »
Working on my old Williams ratchet. Got it open and cleanen out the old grease and crud(break cleaner) but now I need a good grease to lube it up?

I have wheel bearing grease but is there a better kind?

Offline rusty

Re: Got it open, what is a good ratchet grease?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »

White lithium, if you must use grease, it's least sticky and holds less dirt, but i prefer oil...

Whatever you do , do NOT use marine axle grease ....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
I like to use Superlube w/teflon. It's a light grease, and makes them slick when they work with no run off like oil.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline PutnamEco

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
I'm a really big fan of using Hondas moly grease. Even though it is a pricey option, my ratchets work a lot smoother and are quieter when I use this grease. I find it really does make a noticeable difference in their operation 

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Moly-Paste-oz/dp/B0083BWUYW

If your really looking for the ultimate grease Krytox is IMHO the absolute best grease available.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/products/Products_Greases.html

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR January 20, 1937

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
If your really looking for the ultimate grease Krytox is IMHO the absolute best grease available.

$15,000 for a 5-gallon pail.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
>$15,000 for a 5-gallon pail.

Yes,but, your ratchet will last 4000 years ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »
The whole time growing up my dad had a brown bottle (  I think vitamin bottle at one time, we took alot of vitamins as kids ) full of a copper colored Moly grease. He rarely used it and god forbid anyone else touched that grease because of the cost.

When he passed away I grabbed that bottle of grease, Ill bet some of you guys can guess what I ended up doing with that grease.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
The whole time growing up my dad had a brown bottle (  I think vitamin bottle at one time, we took alot of vitamins as kids ) full of a copper colored Moly grease. He rarely used it and god forbid anyone else touched that grease because of the cost.

When he passed away I grabbed that bottle of grease, Ill bet some of you guys can guess what I ended up doing with that grease.

quote]I hope it's not what my filthy mind just flashed in front of me. But,I have been using One Lube synthetic oil and been liking it. The other one is a drop or two of Marvel Mystery Lube.I don't know what in it but it really works well on tools.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »

quote]I hope it's not what my filthy mind just flashed in front of me. But,I have been using One Lube synthetic oil and been liking it. The other one is a drop or two of Marvel Mystery Lube.I don't know what in it but it really works well on tools.

It sits in my cabinet as a reminder to me about how some of us covet such simple things and there is not a darn thing wrong with that
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.