Author Topic: J. Walter's: Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value-SOLD  (Read 6589 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
While browsing through the Woodworking section I noticed that some of our members were interested in John Walter's book  'Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity and Value.  I have one that I will be willing to sell for a somewhat more reasonable price than what you will find on ebay.

There are a couple conditions, however:

You must be a member of the Tool Talk forum and have at least 5 total posts within the last 2 months.  The reason is, I don't want this to go to someone who just comes in to buy this and then never comes back.

I'm pricing it at $140.00 which INCLUDES MEDIA MAIL shipping to where ever you live.  Alaska and Hawaii might be a little more.

I don't know how you rate book condition.  In my mind it would rate as good.  There are no pages loose or missing.  It looks like it may have laid open at one time which causes the center pages to stick out a little ways.  Front and back covers are in good shape with no tears.  There are a couple small spots on the front cover.

The cheapest on on ebay right now is $195.00.  I forgot this in the original post.  Checks, Postal MO, or bank check's are fine.  Although it may be a moot point if Oily does the scan.

PM me if you are interested.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:40:14 AM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: J. Walter's: Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
I would be willing to "co-share" the cost of the book, do the work to scan it, and make it available if there are other's interesting in partnering.  I can not afford/justify the full $140 or I would go it alone.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
Oily,  I will go you one better!  If you're willing to do all that work I'll let you use it at no cost, other than the postage to return it to me.

Mike

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
That is a really good price for that book.  I use mine falling apart one almost every day.  I am tempted, but I have a mint condition hardback to use if necessary.

I sold my falling apart first edition (not nearly as much information) last year on Ebay for 50 or 60.00.

At the Martin Donnelly's auctions, they come up fairly frequently and usually go in the 175 to 200.00 range.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
Oily,  I will go you one better!  If you're willing to do all that work I'll let you use it at no cost, other than the postage to return it to me.

Mike

Mike - you have a deal.  I just need to make sure we have somebody here with a hosting facility for it.  I don't want to get myself into a monthly subscription to hosting site over the deal.

Anybody have a place to offer hosting it once scanned?

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
I also have a 1st edition in very good condition that I would sell for $55.00 which includes media mail shipping.

If you have never seen a first edition you should know that is not as informative as the 2nd edition nor as thick.

Again, PM me if interested.  Checks, Postal MO, or bank check's are fine.

Mike

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
Oily,

There could also be another problem with scanning it and posting it and that is Copyright law.  This is a 1996 edition and as far as I know would probably still be covered by copyrights.

Mike

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »
That also just occurred to me while I was thinking through it.  I don't know copyright laws but probably in both our interest to stand down from that approach.

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
I think you are probably right.

Mike

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
No interest at all??

Mike

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
I have interest, a lot more than my bank gives me.  And you are offering a good deal, but my live in accountant would make life rough here, were I to buy a tool book.  This close to the holidays.  I for one, do appreciate the great price.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
That is a very good book at a very good price.I have one or I would have bought it right away. I am surprised nobody has grabbed it.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
I couldn't afford Patampia when it was published, and I knew Roger Smith. I am not sure he had any close friends, but I knew him.

When John Walter published his Stanley guide I was ecstatic for him!! I blabbed as loud and wide as I could about it, spreading the word. 
 But even at friend's discount, I couldn't afford one. Not even a paperback, much less hardbound. John couldn't afford to give one away either. They were horridly dear when published.

I never got a copy of the DAT and Bob Nelson was a close friend of mine right to the end. We bounced ideas back and forth when it was being worked on.

All these books were printed vanity press. This means you pay a printer to make them.
Not the other way around.

Crown publishers were the only real hope for most hobby publications if you had a chance at having a printer pay you for the rights and royalties later.
  But otherwise, you hired a printer and gave them your life savings and hoped like hell you could eventually get it back.  At least most of it.   

Now these books?  Discounted some from time to time, here and there.
 But still in the realm of collector prices??
 No way in the world. Not even close.

Story of my life.
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:46:56 AM by scottg »

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
Didn't mean to sound quite so pitiful in my last post.
  Its true I hardly have any important tool collector books.

But over on the antique bottle collector side of my life? I do have a big stack of collector books.
Many were review copies from when I published a magazine on the subject. Some I helped work on and a few, -really- helped work on.
   A number of these already are, or will be someday, hotly collected books.

And besides, I wouldn't trade the memories of these people who all undertook the near suicidal enterprise of bringing and sharing information to mankind,
  for all the books in the world. 
  yours Scott