Author Topic: Shop press.  (Read 2913 times)

Offline aametalmaster

Shop press.
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
I started this press 17 years ago and then got busy with other things and it sat in the corner for 15 years unwelded, just parts. Then one night i finished it because my daughter needed a new bearing pressed in her car hub and the shop wanted 80 bucks. So that got me in gear to weld the press together since it was all cut and punched. All i had at the time was a 6T bottle jack so i used it and it worked fine but bigger is better so i bought a 12T. Well today i got it all swapped around and some more quick change tooling made. I use it to put keyways into pulleys i make with a broach set. I also do some drive shaft work making them shorter for the hot rodders in my town so i need to remove the u joints. I also press in new and remove old bearings in car hubs for my neighbors and buddies. The first 3 pics are the old 6T setup and the rest are the 12T pics...Bob

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: Shop press.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Looks good, Im guessing that stays put where it is
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Glad I am not the only one with LOOOOONG projects! Though none of mine have been 17 years!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »

After looking at a pile of U channel outside the shop for 4 years I cheaped out and got the HF one. Just in case you are wondering, it's not the same. Not even close.
It wobbles like a wet noodle, and you couldn't pay me to put a 12T jack on it.

However, limited as it is, it's a very handy tool to have around....
(paid for itself in one job)

Someday....someday....

(The HF one is bolted, not welded,which is half of why it wobbles and twists, Anyone tried welding one of those together?)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »
That looks nice.I acquired a 30 ton press off craigslist a few years ago.It was hand made and so heavy and big that it was hard to use. The table was so heavy that I couldn't lift it by myself.So I sold it and got a HF. It stinks. I've already bent the top beam.I just threw it in the scrap pile today when I cleaned out the garage. I wish I had my 30 Ton back.

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »

(The HF one is bolted, not welded,which is half of why it wobbles and twists, Anyone tried welding one of those together?)

I would buff off that nice powder coat where you will be welding and bolt it back together nice and square then weld it. MIG would be my choice but stick will work...Bob

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
Made a rack to hold my tooling. That project only took 2 weeks :)
Also made a bearing splitter on my lathe...Bob

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
Made a bending punch die to make a tractor brush guard for my neighbor. Used a big chunk of steel my lathe to turn the holding nub and face it flat. My bandsaw to rough cut the 45 degree angle and my 7" shaper to finish it to size...Bob

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
Good looking press Bob! Looks beautiful to me.
   Needs some candy red though. :)
 How did you punch the channel?

I really like the extras!
  Couple questions
   What did you cut the bearing splitter out of?
 The press brake punch? It didn't really need to be that finely machined did it?
 I kind of want to take the extension bracket and ream one of those hole off center a little........ heeheheheh
  Really cool stuff.
  yours Scott   

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks Scott. The bending punch could have been used right from the bandsaw but i haven't used my SB 7" shaper for a while so i fired it up.

The 1" holes were punched in the angles which i used for my sides so i could punch them with an ironworker. Had i used channel i would have had to drill them.

The bearing splitter is just 1" HRS. I wanted to make it thicker in the middle then taper to the hole but i got carried away on my lathe. I have a drawing to make a 7" dia one from T1 steel which i prob will make...Bob

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
As soon as i get some stuff re arranged in my basement the press will go there. It will double as a gantry crane to lift my heavy SB 15" and SB 10" lathes up on their feet. I can remove the jack from the top and insert a small 1/2T chain hoist. The press bed and botton divider between the legs unbolt. That way i can slide the frame over the lathe, lift it with the chain hoist and slide the legs underneath the lathes. Then the frame can be slid down along the lathe bed and off of the machine...Bob

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »

After looking at a pile of U channel outside the shop for 4 years I cheaped out and got the HF one. Just in case you are wondering, it's not the same. Not even close.
It wobbles like a wet noodle, and you couldn't pay me to put a 12T jack on it.

However, limited as it is, it's a very handy tool to have around....
(paid for itself in one job)

Someday....someday....

Is yours the 12 ton or 20 ton HF? I plan on buying the 20 ton some day. SWAG off road makes a kit to turn it into a break.

Offline aametalmaster

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Mine is a 12T. I should look for a 20T or bigger or just make another press. I have 2 4" cylinders that would make a dandy hydraulic one. I have all the rest of the parts i need...Bob

Offline rusty

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »
I have the old style 12T.
The 20T comes with the top I-beam welded instead of just a set of bolts.

But, they seem to have redesigned the 12T press with an A-frame shaped top piece...

Hmm...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
I have the old style 12T.
The 20T comes with the top I-beam welded instead of just a set of bolts.

But, they seem to have redesigned the 12T press with an A-frame shaped top piece...

Hmm...

They have both a flat top and an A frame 12 ton. They seem to only see the square style in the store. The 20 ton goes on sale for $200 so $160 with the 20% coupon. For January they have a “super coupon” for $149. The 20 ton is welded on top and looks better.

I was there yesterday and picked up the first part of my “English wheel” they had the 8” top wheel on clearance for $25 and my coupon worked so $20.