Author Topic: worth anything?  (Read 6970 times)

Offline bgarrett

worth anything?
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
Everywhere I look I find lots of old plow wrenches,  from $2 to $7 for a handful.
In your opinion should these be gathered in anticipation of future value?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
I'm not an expert on those, but I'd bet that 95% of them are worth the 2$ to 7$, but there are some gems in there that only the implement wrench collectors would recognize. They will have a better answer than mine.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
Everywhere I look I find lots of old plow wrenches,  from $2 to $7 for a handful.
In your opinion should these be gathered in anticipation of future value?

I'm no expert on farm wrenches either, but I have a few, and some are valuable. Here is an example of one I picked up for 2 dollars, just because I liked the looks of it. When I got home and researched it, I found one like it just sold at aution for $450.00. Now for some reason, this particular buggy wrench must have the "BABCOCK" mark on it to fetch that kind of price. Some of these 2 to 7 a handful could have gold in them, or just be the price of scrap metal. You must do your homework to truley know before you buy, in my opinion. I believe we have a couple of hardcore farm wrench collectors on our site, that may be of more help.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
I would contact Missouri Valley Wrench Club (Bus on this site) and order a copy of P. T. Rathbone's 2 -volume study of farm wrenches. It's got pictures galore for every conceivable farm equipment manufacturer including plow manufacturers.  The books come with a price realized at auction list for many of the wrenches.