Author Topic: wrench  (Read 3423 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
wrench
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »
Stole this on e-bay thanks to H.M again, guy had it listed as something it was not  and who was I to say anything.
It almost didnt make it home because when the post man handed me the envelope the end was already tore open and nothing inside. Stamped all over the outside the post office had made notation of contents missing. I raced down to the very same post office that my postman delivered from and there it was.
Thanks Mr. postman !
Defanitely poor packaging, cant just stick this in a padded envelope barely large enough and expect it to ride from Michigan that way.
I would like to clean it but just enough to remove the surface rust color. Id prefer to not clean it down to shiny steel. Whats the cheapest least invasive way.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

Re: wrench
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »
>Whats the cheapest least invasive way

Spray it with kroil or pb blaster or some other such bolt breaker spray, let it sit a minute, wipe with a rag
, the fuzzy red rust will go away, the black will remain.  oil lightly...(oil part is Important, with some nut breaker types, they have residual water and will flash rust after they dry)

If the rust is really crusty and flaky, soak more than once, **lightly** wipe with a scotchbright pad while wet with solution. Use circular pattern, so you dont make light/dark streaks. Be gentle, you can always do it again, you can never undo it ; P

Other folks probably have different methods..

Your mileage may vary...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
Thanks Rusty, will try that and report back
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
I would like to clean it but just enough to remove the surface rust color. Id prefer to not clean it down to shiny steel. Whats the cheapest least invasive way.

I suspect that any light oil will do what you need here.  One older way that a friend uses is a soak in transmission fluid, followed by a light brushing with a mild wire brush.  Another friend soaks in kerosine and rubs the piece with an old piece of terry cloth (he uses kerosine and terry cloth on antique guns to remove rust spots).  I've used whatever was available -- sewing machine oil, WD-40, Liquid Wrench -- all with good effect.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
Thanks, I havent done anything with it yet but I may try the tranny fluid as I have plenty of that.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
Wow, thats great, how did you find it? I see no numbers on the wrench, also how do I print all the patent data, I dont even see how you were able to save it and paste it here, when I right click I just have an option to print entire pages.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:53:28 AM by 1930 »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:29 PM »
Wow, thats great, how did you find it? I see no numbers on the wrench, also how do I print all the patent data, I dont even see how you were able to save it and paste it here, when I right click I just have an option to print entire pages.

I've had the patent in my files for awhile. I think I found it some time ago (before Google Patents) when doing a patent search by classification.

Go to the Google Patent page, top, right side above the patent image are some buttons. You can download the patent as a .pdf file and print the pages if you want. To save and paste the picture, click on the "Clip" button and highlight the picture and copy and past into your image editor.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:02:49 AM by Bus »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
That was too easy Bus, thanks again