Author Topic: the low down on auger bits for braces  (Read 10445 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
the low down on auger bits for braces
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
Hi folks,
   What did a complete auger bit set entail?  Most of my bits have a number on them. Was a complete set no 1-20... ect???  Do the numbers correspond to  particular sizes?  Thanks for any info
cheers,
bird.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline oleblu

Re: the low down on auger bits for braces
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
I think the numbers refer to how many 1/16ths the bit is. A #6 bit would be 6/16 or 3/8".

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »
 agreed
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »
Yup, 1/16th's
4 to 16 usually.
 3's are rare, smaller than that I never saw. 
17 to 20 is also kind of scarce.
  yours Scott

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
Thanks guys,
    I've been out of touch for a bit.  As usual, some of you folks are smart.... don't let it go to your heads!!!!!!!
cheers,
bird.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
As Scott mentioned, a standard set had 13 bits from #4 to #16.  A few, fancy sets had a #3, a screwdriver bit or two, and maybe a countersink bit.  The larger sizes (I have seen most numbers between 17 and 24, and some as large as 32) were typically purchased separately.

Cabinet maker's usually like the Russell Jennings double twist type, and rough carpenter's usually prefer the Irwin solid center type. 

I typically buy 500 to 1000 bits a year, and I will only get 1 or 2 #3 bits, and maybe 5 to 10 of the larger sizes.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »
That's a lot of drill bits!!!!!!! Why do you buy so many? You must be SOMETHING more then a collector!!!!!!  If you buy and sell them online or on ebay, let me know how to find you..... just to learn some info.
cheers,
bird

As Scott mentioned, a standard set had 13 bits from #4 to #16.  A few, fancy sets had a #3, a screwdriver bit or two, and maybe a countersink bit.  The larger sizes (I have seen most numbers between 17 and 24, and some as large as 32) were typically purchased separately.

Cabinet maker's usually like the Russell Jennings double twist type, and rough carpenter's usually prefer the Irwin solid center type. 

I typically buy 500 to 1000 bits a year, and I will only get 1 or 2 #3 bits, and maybe 5 to 10 of the larger sizes.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
Wow, WV. That IS a lot of bits!! I have quite a few of them myself, but seldom use them. So they just sit around in a box. I have some lightly-rusted bits, but haven't bothered to derust them, 'cause I'm not sure if I would ever use them, or if anyone would ever want them.

Obviously, I don't do much with wood, these days. LOL.
Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline BruceS

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Hi folks,
   What did a complete auger bit set entail?  Most of my bits have a number on them. Was a complete set no 1-20... ect???  Do the numbers correspond to  particular sizes?  Thanks for any info
cheers,
bird.

Another FYI about auger bits to remember.    Fine threaded pilots are for Hardwood and course threads are for soft wood.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »
Another FYI about auger bits to remember.    Fine threaded pilots are for Hardwood and course threads are for soft wood.

Aha. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info!

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:46 PM »
I learn something everyday on here. Never knew why there were different pilots

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 05:42:45 AM »
I appreciate the OP, the responses, and the thread at large.  I learned 1) they step in 16ths in size, 2) were as small as 1 (1/16") and as large as 32 (2"), rough carpenters like solid center and finish carpenters like double twist types, fine threads for hardwood and course for softwood, that I don't have anything near a complete set, and that WV buys a LOT of bits :). 
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
My great-great grandfather on my Dad's side came here from Germany in 1881, and his son, my great-grandfather was born either in Germany just before the ship journey, or on the water. Both of them came to Dayton, Ohio, and were cabinet-maker-type carpenters. I think my gg-grandfathers brother or cousin was already here, and also a carpenter. When my great-grandmother died (Last of her generation) I inherited one of my great-grandfather's wooden tool chests, and all the tools in it. Some of the old planes, etc, still bear my ancestors' names and/or initials. I have some incredible works of wooden art (furniture) that my g-grandfather made.

I don't know much about old woodworking tools, so I am very grateful for this thread, and others like it.

Thanks!

Offline BruceS

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »

My pride and joy is a boxed set of Stanley Russell Jennings 13 bits.  Set NO. 32 1/2  quarters  No. 100 ( fine pilot, hardwood) which I picked up off Craigs list for $35.00.    Eleven of the bits are unused and still in their original yellow cellophane wrappers and the other two may have been used once each.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
Yes, I learned something today too.  Now I am motivated to at least drill one hole with one of the 5 or 6 Auger handles I have laying around the shop.  BTW, it was tempting to bid on Saturday, but there was a PEXTO Bit Brace in a box of stuff.  Never seen one from them, but I still have a ways to go before I test for my old tool merit badge...  I felt fortunate to get a 14: Millers Falls Plane in nice shape. Have to find the number on it.  It iwll look nice with the 1st gen #9 I recently cleaned up.

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice