Author Topic: collecting farm tools  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Re: collecting farm tools
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
I've got a few plow wrenches, silo wrenches, stanchion wrenches, IHC, P & O, and Oliver RP wrenches, manure spreader wrenches, and cutout wrenches, buggy jacks, buggy wrenches, and wagon wrenches, but no farm equipment as such.  No room for it. I looked, once, at a pristine Hench & Dromgold corn shucker for $140 back when I was working.  I turned it down. As the twig is bent........

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
Ive got a few. If I seem them at flea markets or garge sales ile pick them up if its a super deal. Not often do I buy them but I buy them every now an then.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Rustn Dust

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
Great thread to bring back memories of being raised on a northern Missouri farm during the 50's and 60's.  Here in Missouri, cast iron hog oilers and hay trolleys seem to be the current collector items that bring big bucks at farm auctions.   Not my thing, but I have more than enough of some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread laying around. 

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
does anyone remember the old manure barn cleaners that ran on overhead tracks and were hand pushed up over the spreader and dumped , the wooded cow stanchions that were nothing but two boards that closed and had a hook on the top.WATCHING HORSES IN THE PASTURE EATING SIDE BY SIDE THE SAME WAY THEY WORKED IN HARNESS up at 4 and supper was 9, you did notknow what poor was although you were, getting new work shoes every fall for school and the old ones went for barn work,when if someone did not smell like cows they were strangers,you had good clothes and barn clothes and left your barn clothes in the mud room in back of the house,the parlour where you were not allowed and only used for special occasions. A tough life but it was all you knew and work was not forced on you ,you did not know anything other than share the load. bob w.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:11:57 AM by amertrac »
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline rustynbent

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
Bob;   I grew up in a small town and both my grandfathers were farmers. Your last post brought back fond memories of them and the local farmers that I helped put up hay for in the 60's. I loved working for Mr. John Simmons, he was kind, funny and worked you like a mule. That was ok because he always worked harder than anyone else, and he was an old, OLD man back then, at least in his 60's. (well it seamed old then) The high light of the day was dinner, his wife was a little,  lady of German descent and boy could she cook. The Simmons' were known far and wide for the huge dinner they served. Three platters of fried chicken piled as high and they could get it and make it to the dinner table. There was no "lunch", the mid-day meal was always dinner where we came from. Bowls of mashed potatoes, bean salad, green beans, gravy, (milk gravy not that crap made from grease) fresh bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, fried tomatoes, and all the cold milk or tea you could ever want. They never skimped on a meal and all the guys would work their hearts out to make John happy. Thanks for bringing this memory back it's like visiting with old friends long since past.  RNB
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:20:50 AM by rustynbent »