Author Topic: been hiding too long  (Read 3728 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
been hiding too long
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:21 AM »
on my moutain away from the real world.I was on another forum and looked at the classifieds
they had a snap-on 4 piece set of adjustable wrenches with dipped handles for $155,00
Is this real ? Are they that much on the truck?  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: been hiding too long
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »
on my moutain away from the real world.I was on another forum and looked at the classifieds
they had a snap-on 4 piece set of adjustable wrenches with dipped handles for $155,00
Is this real ? Are they that much on the truck?  bob w.
That would not surprise me in the least
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »
took 5minutes to look it up..... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=644760&group_ID=681236&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

want to be the best got to have the best.
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
 At least they are made in Spain.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:20 PM »
Its the modern mantra the world around.

If you don't know enough to tell the difference on your own?
Just pay the most and pretend.
 Chances are, the next guy won't really know either, so he'll be impressed.

Who ever heard of Diamond Caulk and Horseshoe?
  yours Scott

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
Quote.........want to be the best got to have the best.........thanks for the chuckle, not quite how it works I can assure you

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:38:34 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »
Diamond Calk and Horseshoe, you're kidding right?   The famous company of Diamond/Diamalloy tools, Duluth Minnesota?   Makers of the famous diamond shaped calks that screw into your horses shoes for positive traction in ice and snow and frozen mud.  And the wrench to install and disinstall them.   Famous all over some places.  Am working on a set of their adjustable wrenches in bare steel.  I have, let's see, probably six or eight, maybe more, from six inch to 24 inch, jaws approaching 3/4 of an inch in thickness, also makes a great defensive weapon!   I have pics,
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
Quote.........want to be the best got to have the best.........thanks for the chuckle, not quite how it works I can assure you
i prefer to have a tool that works when i go to useit  than some china made craftsman crap.... as for being the best.. sorta funny when i make 3X's what i would at a shop a hr as a freelance mech i get paid that cause i am one of the best and i use the best.. snap on mac matco sk.
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
i prefer to have a tool that works when i go to useit  than some china made craftsman crap.... as for being the best.. sorta funny when i make 3X's what i would at a shop a hr as a freelance mech i get paid that cause i am one of the best and i use the best.. snap on mac matco sk.

My Craftsman pry bar set was made by the same company, by the same people, at the same location as the Snap On pry bar.  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943278000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00943278000

The Craftsman branded version cost me nothing; on sale for $14.99 and then used my Cman rewards for net zero cost.  The same in Snap-On branding would have cost me over $100.

Having neither would not have stopped me from doing the best job possible in removing the transmission on my Farmall.  I could have used, and probably should have used, a hand made brass wedge or two.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

My Craftsman pry bar set was made by the same company, by the same people, at the same location as the Snap On pry bar.  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943278000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00943278000

The Craftsman branded version cost me nothing; on sale for $14.99 and then used my Cman rewards for net zero cost.  The same in Snap-On branding would have cost me over $100.

Having neither would not have stopped me from doing the best job possible in removing the transmission on my Farmall.  I could have used, and probably should have used, a hand made brass wedge or two.
meh nevermind .... not worth getting into a argument.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:13:31 PM by Dustin21 »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:33 AM »

There are probably so many variables that this topic could become never ending.
I have a 300 plus dollar snap-on air chisel sitting in my tool box bought new 15 plus years ago, have nuthin but problems with it, I have a blue point mini impact that wont keep the go button on the peg and I have a 14 dollar mal-mart brand muffler cutter that was purchased 7 plus years ago that just wont stop working.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to owning expensive tools but the tools dosent make anyone a better whatever, its the guy using it and the pride or lack of pride that in the end judges the quality of the repair.

Your right in that shop owners/managers in most cases want to see a tech with the finest tools and in most cases will offer to pay them a higher salary than a guy with a beat up old craftsman box and un-named hand tools within it  but that is inmany cases because  of the materialistic society we live in.

Dont judge the guy that has the crap version of tools because you are prob. bitin yourself in the foot. He has had to learn to make do without, has had to use his head, expand his mind somethin that is being lost as generations pass.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:15:09 AM »

That Craftsman set was made by Wilde. I have an identical set (4 bars, actually) branded as Armstrong, but I have never seen a Snap-on version. Have a link or can you post some photos of yours?

Kijiji King

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »

...the tools dosent make anyone a better whatever, its the guy using it and the pride or lack of pride that in the end judges the quality of the repair.

This.

Better tools might make your life easier and/or permit you to do better work, but they certainly won't improve your skills...

Kijiji King

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
Ihave three ,three cabinet rollers full of craftsman work tools.  some are from 1952 when i started working for a pontiac dealer. the original box still works like it did when i bought it. I get upset when someone calls craftsman tools junk.now the new foreign made craftsman tools along with snap-0n ,mac,s&k,and ALL other tool sellers( you will notice i did not say manufacturers) are not up to our standards but with the price we all buy them. Harbor has not ever had a losing year since starting in business.non of our electric powertools are not made here but we still buy by name. sorrt for the rant  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
I subscribe to the philosophy of "the Good Enough factor." My standards are a bit lower than that. Snap-On tools are good tools but I can get perfectly good American made tools to do just as good a job for a lot less.