Author Topic: Kraeuter pliers - nifty find, and value  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Kraeuter pliers - nifty find, and value
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
I picked up the Kraeuter pliers pictured at an estate sale this last weekend, one of the two better finds at that sale (along with a 1-1/2 HP Baldor motor of uncertain condition for $5, gloat gloat - or not, depending on whether it runs).  They're a neat design, and I could no doubt find use for them, although it's not like I'm lacking for pliers.  But I don't know if there are pliers collectors out there, just waiting to offer me a fortune for them*.

Alloy Artifacts dates them to 1910-1924 (at the latest), so they're approaching a century of age.  But cruising around on eBay, I'm not finding Kraeuter pliers of any sort going for much more than $5-6.  At that price, I'd rather hold on to them.

Thoughts appreciated.

*I do not intend to be, to use the term common on another forum I visit, chumming here, seeking a buyer; if it turns out they have some value and I decide to sell them, I'd find an appropriate place, whether a buy/sell board or That Auction Site, to offer them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:00:14 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline kxxr

Re: Kraeuter pliers - nifty find, and value
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
Sell? The pictures are a little fuzzy, but your pliers look a little rough. They could clean up nice though. There may not be a lot of buyers just waiting for that particular tool to be offered, but if you are wanting to sell, it only takes one. There are some dedicated Kraeuter fans out there. I guess $5 would be pretty good given the condition and the fact that the buyer would have to pony up another $5 for shipping ... but now you're in the double digits. 
Keep? Not a lot of pliers got named. Yours are "The Victor"! It looks like they have a screwdriver handle end; you get another point for that:) The stamping looks nice and clear but the handle pattern is a little on the plain side for Kraeuters. If you sold them, they'd almost surely be $5 or $6 dollar pliers. If you clean them up and use them, they're most definitely $20 Kraeuters. I say "keep" wins! Then, of course, you'll want to keep your eyes peeled for a fancier one, or one in better condition ... and so it goes. Pretty soon you are the Kraeuter Plier expert!

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:18:22 AM »
I picked up a pair myself not so long ago and as I remember they were around 10" long.  I haven't reached for them as of yet but recall them having a good feel (I'm no pliers expert only a user).  I put them into my toolbox without hesitation and I'd welcome another pair beside them.

What is the length of the pair you have pictured?
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
I have two pairs of this pattern of pliers.   One's fairly heavy construction.  They're just delightful.   I referred to my first pair as Victors, but that seems to have been only one manufacturer's name for the style.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
I picked up a pair myself not so long ago and as I remember they were around 10" long.  I haven't reached for them as of yet but recall them having a good feel (I'm no pliers expert only a user).  I put them into my toolbox without hesitation and I'd welcome another pair beside them.

What is the length of the pair you have pictured?
Kraeuter describes them as 7" long.  I haven't measured, but that seems about right.

In reply to Branson's comment, "The Victor" seems to have been Kraeuter's marketing name for them.  Two-position slip-joint pliers of this general configuration litter every rummage sale tool table, of course; but Kraeuter did some clever things with these, such as the wire groove running longitudinally on one jaw.

Looks, from the comments, like they're part of my kit now, rather than the yard sale find from which I'll fund building my new shop.  That's fine; they're in better shape after nearly 100 years than a lot of newer tools.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:14 AM »
I snagged my first pr,. of Krauter SJ pliers within the last 2 months.  They were chrome plated and had red vinyl grips on them.  Some rust pitting, but way serviceable.  Prolly the last generaton of them??

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:04:12 AM »

Kraeuter describes them as 7" long.  I haven't measured, but that seems about right.
In reply to Branson's comment, "The Victor" seems to have been Kraeuter's marketing name for them.  Two-position slip-joint pliers of this general configuration litter every rummage sale tool table, of course; but Kraeuter did some clever things with these, such as the wire groove running longitudinally on one jaw.

I can't find a manufacturer's name on the heavier pair I have -- just the "drop forged steel" on the insides of the handles.  No wire groove in these, and no screwdriver end on the handle.  The other pair's jaws are about 2/3 the thickness.  These are Bridgport and do have the screwdriver end and the wire groove as well.

I looked them up in the #11 Baker, Hamilton catalog and found the Crescent version.  Crescent called this pattern "Universal."  The description is:

"A plier for heavy duty.  Drop forged from special steel.  One jaw is curved, giving a firm grip upon objects of any shape and a groove in the other jaw enables  the plier to grip pins or other round objects."

This model by Crescent has disappeared from the 1949 catalog.