Author Topic: Fresh out of the garden  (Read 51852 times)

Offline Branson

Re: Fresh out of the garden
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
Well I Be.  Thanks, Bus!

Now find the other one -- these came in pairs.

Offline Mac53

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
-Marcus-

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
I couldn't find a picture I could directly link to, but I found one on ebay that has some. They are in the 6th picture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4ab2c8794e&item=320827062606&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=mw8z8i8uclKuhR6WA5uanhUd42s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thank you much, Mac53.

Now find the other one -- these came in pairs.

I'm all over it :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
You keep pulling stuff out of the garden and your going to end up with a duck pond instead

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
You keep pulling stuff out of the garden and your going to end up with a duck pond instead
I've been given information as to where the "tool shed" was located on the property relative to the barn (I found the pier/footings for it) and a 150+ year old "line" red oak.  They called them "line" trees because they were on the property line and were left uncut for that reason.  The tool shed was about 10' from the line tree due north of the barn (on the barn side of the tree). 

It seems a lot of what I'm finding (excluding wagon and seeder) was either in the the tool shed or beside it.  The wagon was found on the SE side of where the barn was, and the seeder on the W side of the barn....likely sitting right beside the barn and never moved.  The spindles (those swelled pipe looking things) and post vise, and most all the other smaller items, were found about 40' away where the tool shed would have been.

I did finally get my hands on a metal detector.  I'm still reading about it before I go straight out and frustrate myself with a bunch of old nails and tiny tin particles.   I suspect I have a good chance of finding some other things worth having......that is if I didn't dozer stuff down the hill.  When I first moved here I cut, both by saw and with sidewinder, a bunch of brush that had grown up.  I left the stumps, trees, limbs, and such for a year.  The next spring I came in and "scraped" all that with a dozer (not grading just clearing stumps and such), then put PTO rototiller through it and started calling it a yard and garden area.  That is a lot of heavy equipment rolling over something that should have been just at the surface.  Having said that, I'm still pulling stuff out of the ground and most of it in reasonable shape. 

A POND!  That's a lovely idea, but I borrowed that dozer from an uncle praying the whole time a roller, or something else, wouldn't go out.....and I know first hand how expensive big toys, err I mean big tools, are to maintain when using.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
I was going to mention hanging up some of those fine collectibles you have been unearthing.   But it seems the walls of the shop are kinda full already.  It may seem that you never know what is going to come out of the ground next.   On my fathers other farm, all we would dig out were bits of harness, and lots and lots of baling wire, the previous owner dropped wire wherever he was.  Lots of it, I lost count of the times I got my feet tangled up and went down as a kid.  Good luck with the metal detector, they are amazing, as well as frustrating. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
No iron today

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Any luck with that metal detector? Or did the "Au" setting, and the big box of treasure that followed, stun you into silence?

Great story, by the way. The only things I've found in my garden are nails and a old, spent copper 12 gauge shell.
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
Any luck with that metal detector? Or did the "Au" setting, and the big box of treasure that followed, stun you into silence?

Great story, by the way. The only things I've found in my garden are nails and a old, spent copper 12 gauge shell.

No Sir, no silence!  I simply have prioritized the "treasure hunt" down - below a number of other projects I have going on. 

RE: shotgun shell - it was sure enough Copper and not Brass?  Was it a shotgun shell made of paper not plastics?

More to come on the treasure hunt.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
A few of the recent iron finds on the property.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »
The finds just keep on coming, thats pretty cool.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline rusty

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »

You don't usually get that part with the wrench LOL...

You do realise tho, that 1000 years in the future, you will have taken away some poor archeologists job...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
I wonder what the iron content of that soil is?   The snap hook, I was thining harness, but a loop like that says rope.   Guess there some collars that used rope reinforcements.  I wonder what ticked off the user of the plane, to toss it out back?  I bet Scott can come up with name and rank on it.  That wrench device, that is a puzzlement.  Looks familiar, but not. 

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
Is there anybody here that would share a lesson on what a person would do with a "clevis wrench".  I  realize I'm showing my age..errrrr...I mean maturity level.

That's the remains of a clevis wrench.

Thanks!